‘23 NC EDGE Rico Walker (Maryland commit)

exactly and both akana and bradley are abt 160 spots ahead of him
160 spots?

What's that? Rankings lol.

Walker would be an outstanding addition.
And arguably has more versatility than those other two.

2 of those 3 would be outstanding. Not seeing much of a difference between the 3. Other than that 160 spots I mean haha.

god i hope mack sucks this year like they did last year. we need to start taking all of their recruits soon.

Well one’s already committed in herring, Bradley is a composite 5-Star, and if Akana doesn’t move anywhere on 247 Rankings, he’ll be a 247 5-Star, and stars do matter, any one who says they don’t is clueless
Stars don't matter near as much as coaches' evaluations. Anyone who says different is clueless.

If that’s true why doesn’t Alabama and Georgia go after mid ranked 3 stars. . . Alabamas been dominating the sport for a decade and a half and has been Top 3 in recruiting classes for that decade and a half
Bama does occasionally take lower ranked players. Not surprisingly, when Bama takes those players, they get a Bama bump. Every coach runs their own system, so they know what attributes they're looking for in a player. They're far better equipped to know what players will thrive in their system than some desk jockey at a recruiting service who doesn't actually have his hands on.

Bama does occasionally take lower ranked players. Not surprisingly, when Bama takes those players, they get a Bama bump. Every coach runs their own system, so they know what attributes they're looking for in a player. They're far better equipped to know what players will thrive in their system than some desk jockey at a recruiting service who doesn't actually have his hands on.
You get slight bumps in rating for the bama bump, nothing like mid 3 star to 5 star, type bumps, then a 5 star is much more likely to get drafted then a 4 star let alone a 3 star, there’s a reason we want top 5-10 classes, it’s being rankings matter, we don’t want the 35th ranked class, that’s Vanderbilt material in the SEC, aka a doormat

If that’s true why doesn’t Alabama and Georgia go after mid ranked 3 stars. . . Alabamas been dominating the sport for a decade and a half and has been Top 3 in recruiting classes for that decade and a half
They do recruit 3*, just not as many because other schools pick the best 3* because they may want to make a decision before they school starts. Anyway, all 3* are not the same nor are all 4and 5* players. We have had a number of 3* players who have outplayed some of our 5* recruits.

I’m not gonna dump on Rico just because he got CB’d elsewhere. Considering he’s not making a decision until the fall, that CB means little.

And he’d be a hell of an addition. I want all the pass rushers. Send them in waves.
Exactly. We’ve got to land these guys if we want to turn things around.

Reactions: vettefool
They do recruit 3*, just not as many because other schools pick the best 3* because they may want to make a decision before they school starts. Anyway, all 3* are not the same nor are all 4and 5* players. We have had a number of 3* players who have outplayed some of our 5* recruits.
Generally speaking though 5*s are better players than 3*s and for every Jordan Davis or Josh Jacobs there are 10 Cody Blancs and Warren Burrells

Generally speaking though 5*s are better players than 3*s and for every Jordan Davis or Josh Jacobs there are 10 Cody Blancs and Warren Burrells
Agree, but just because a player is rated a 3* doesn't mean he/she will not be a productive player. That is why coaches' evaluation is very important.

That is why it is not an intelligent move to establish limits on any player entering college football based on his star ratings. FOR SURE the probabilities of success are higher for those that who matured early enough to be showcased up through their JR year in high school, but NFL player introductions are replete with guys that did not get seriously invited to join power 5 schools. It is not like these higher division staffs are just blindly reaching into the 3 star pool and taking their luck. Even then there are misses.

Have often seen statistics on percentage of each star group that gets drafted, but would like to see the numbers for each group just from power 5 and then maybe group of 5 schools. Bet they are significantly higher percentages than the overall 3, rest of the free world, star pool. It is possible that performances demonstrated at camps after the initial star rating give coaches an indication that a player's ceiling could be really high, though probably not day 1 like you hope most 5 stars should be close to doing. But to write off a player in the face of late maturity, and less productive early training opportunities is worthy of eyerolls. Five star busts reenforce the fallibility too.

Yeah, I would love a class of all 4-5 stars too, but better to judge a class a couple of years in. Lining up at the bridge during this phase of the process, before their last year is even completed is a bit much.

For example, I think both of this weekends 3 star commits have SEC level PROMISE and evidently the staff does too. I am particularly taken by the RB who I hope REMINIDS us all of Cheese down the road, but with better social skills. I have a higher degree of confidence in 3 stars we accept commitments from now than close to and post signing days. There is a tweener danger risk with a lot of these guys that simply cannot add the size even with training tables and weight rooms, part of the risk/reward analysis.

Reactions: Orange.

VN Store

Back