'21 NC DT Payton Page (Clemson commit)

Texas A&M still doesn’t feel right being in the SEC.
At least they fit the southern, if not the eastern. Mizzou is neither. It's just weird. I know the argument is all about TV markets, but I would rather have expanded with more logical teams. Like VA Tech. Or Clemson. Or even FSU or Miami.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
At least they fit the southern, if not the eastern. Mizzou is neither. It's just weird. I know the argument is all about TV markets, but I would rather have expanded with more logical teams. Like VA Tech. Or Clemson. Or even FSU or Miami.
Love to hear BRAJ opine on Mizzou games . They dont hold back. As ive stated, Rob also takes any chance to slam Butch, which I also love.

Had to get those 2 TVs at Charlie’s in Columbia...

Reactions: StarRaider
Sec office tried very hard to add FSU and Miami, both said no and they had to settle for Arkansas and South Carolina. Bobby Bowden was asked why they didn't join the SEC and he said "unlike George Foreman I like to pick my own chumps."

I’m from MO, and I’m an MU grad, but have been a lifelong UT fan (in fact I’ve liked them for so long I don’t even know how they became my team b/c I have no affiliation to TN whatsoever and none of my family members are fans - probably the sweet unis and checkerboard caught my eyes as a kid). MU doesn’t belong in the SEC. They don’t fit geographically, traditionally or otherwise. They and ATM should go back to the Big XII where they belong.

Last edited:
A random idea ive had on this expansion idea. I would like to see the SEC add one of the NC schools and WVU. Then eliminate divisions and give each school 4 permanent opponents. For TN: FL, AL, VU, UK. then rotate the other 4 conference games on the schedule. Have the top two teams play in Atlanta regardless of division/location.

Maybe I'm biased because I live close to SW VA, but VA Tech has always seemed like It would have been a perfect school for the SEC. I understand why it's not, but regionally I feel its a good fit.
Much more so than Mizzou and aTm. I'd trade Tech and UVA for those two, right now if given the option. Push Vandy to the west.

Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

Gives everyone a natural in-state or border conference rival except UK and USCe.

Daniel Boone was a Long Hunter. Long Hunters are credited with a lot of the exploration of the South.
Most of them lived there in SW Va. and explored the Cumberland, Holston and Clinch river valleys while trapping. A direct great ancestor of mine was one of them. State Park here in Middle Tn. named after them. Beautiful country you live in.

Much more so than Mizzou and aTm. I'd trade Tech and UVA for those two, right now if given the option. Push Vandy to the west.

Gives everyone a natural in-state or border conference rival except UK and USCe.

Schools that shouldn't be in the SEC:
- Vandy: Yes I know they were one of the founders, but they are probably the only team in the SEC that is handicapped to the point they cannot and will not ever compete. Vandy will never compete with the rest of the SEC and should be in the ACC with the Duke's, Wake Forest, and Boston Colleges of the world.

- Mizzou: Who actually thought this was a good idea? They don't fit geographically, and then you put them in the East? Mizzou doesn't bring a large, die hard fanbase, and football doesn't mean the same thing up there that it does in the South. They should be in the Big 12 with Kansas.

- South Carolina: I don't think the Gamecocks offer much to the SEC in Football or Basketball. I'd swap them for a WVU, FSU, or GT in a heartbeat. Would be a better fit in the ACC, imo.

Schools that should/could be in the SEC:
- FSU: Huge fanbase. Geographical fit. They recruit against, Auburn, Florida, UGA, Alabama, Vols, they don't really recruit against any other ACC school, except maybe Miami. FSU makes a lot of sense to be in the SEC.

- GT: Used to be in the SEC. And would be a bigger thorn in UGA's side than many think. With a state the size of Georgia, we should have two teams from there. We have two teams from Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee but not Georgia.

- Oklahoma: They would be on the top of my list if the Big 12 takes a crash. They don't make a ton of since Geographically, but they check every other box. Huge fanbase, program history, new market, etc.

- West Virginia: Honorable mention. Huge fanbase, new market, Appalachia. I would bring on West Virginia before Virginia Tech.

Obvious ommisions/Honorable Mentions:
- Clemson: I am cringing as I write this, but Clemson could be a solid fit as well. Biggish size fanbase. Geographical fit. Recruiting fit, etc... However, I don't think they would ever do it, as they seem to be the type that would shy away from the competition. They'd rather be the big fish in the small pond so I left them out. Clemson fans are terrible though.

- TX A&M: I must be the minority here, but I think TX A&M was a solid pickup for the SEC. Huge fan base, geographically relevant. East Texas is much more like the rest of the South East than the rest of Texas. This is the only school in Texas that makes sense to me.

- Virginia Tech: Honorable mention. They make sense geographically, but they really don't bring much to the table otherwise IMO. Not a huge fanbase, no recruiting ties.

- Virginia: I wouldn't touch that school with a ten foot pole. Charlottesville, VA is one big riot factory apparently.

If I could pick the 14 teams in the SEC, it would be:

East:
- UT
- UGA
- FL
- UK
- Auburn
- FSU
- GT or WVU

West:
- AL
- Ole Miss
- Mississippi State
- LSU
- TXAM
- Arkansas
- Oklahoma

Schools that shouldn't be in the SEC:
- Vandy: Yes I know they were one of the founders, but they are probably the only team in the SEC that is handicapped to the point they cannot and will not ever compete. Vandy will never compete with the rest of the SEC and should be in the ACC with the Duke's, Wake Forest, and Boston Colleges of the world.

- Mizzou: Who actually thought this was a good idea? They don't fit geographically, and then you put them in the East? Mizzou doesn't bring a large, die hard fanbase, and football doesn't mean the same thing up there that it does in the South. They should be in the Big 12 with Kansas.

- South Carolina: I don't think the Gamecocks offer much to the SEC in Football or Basketball. I'd swap them for a WVU, FSU, or GT in a heartbeat. Would be a better fit in the ACC, imo.

Schools that should/could be in the SEC:
- FSU: Huge fanbase. Geographical fit. They recruit against, Auburn, Florida, UGA, Alabama, Vols, they don't really recruit against any other ACC school, except maybe Miami. FSU makes a lot of sense to be in the SEC.

- GT: Used to be in the SEC. And would be a bigger thorn in UGA's side than many think. With a state the size of Georgia, we should have two teams from there. We have two teams from Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee but not Georgia.

- Oklahoma: They would be on the top of my list if the Big 12 takes a crash. They don't make a ton of since Geographically, but they check every other box. Huge fanbase, program history, new market, etc.

- West Virginia: Honorable mention. Huge fanbase, new market, Appalachia. I would bring on West Virginia before Virginia Tech.

Obvious ommisions/Honorable Mentions:
- Clemson: I am cringing as I write this, but Clemson could be a solid fit as well. Biggish size fanbase. Geographical fit. Recruiting fit, etc... However, I don't think they would ever do it, as they seem to be the type that would shy away from the competition. They'd rather be the big fish in the small pond so I left them out. Clemson fans are terrible though.

- TX A&M: I must be the minority here, but I think TX A&M was a solid pickup for the SEC. Huge fan base, geographically relevant. East Texas is much more like the rest of the South East than the rest of Texas. This is the only school in Texas that makes sense to me.

- Virginia Tech: Honorable mention. They make sense geographically, but they really don't bring much to the table otherwise IMO. Not a huge fanbase, no recruiting ties.

- Virginia: I wouldn't touch that school with a ten foot pole. Charlottesville, VA is one big riot factory apparently.

If I could pick the 14 teams in the SEC, it would be:

East:
- UT
- UGA
- FL
- UK
- Auburn
- FSU
- GT or WVU

West:
- AL
- Ole Miss
- Mississippi State
- LSU
- TXAM
- Arkansas
- Oklahoma
I agree aTm brings a significant fanbase and dollars to the SEC. I just don't feel like they fit geographically, which is more of why I'd boot them and Mizzou in favor of the VA schools. But if it were a financial decision, which it always is, aTm makes sense.

None of the current 14 will leave, SEC is too much of a cash cow. I am not sure West Va. would fit. Seems like they are located on a different planet. Maybe expand to 18 and add N.C. State, Virginia Tech, F.S.U. and Clemson. It keeps the geography much tighter.

None of the current 14 will leave, SEC is too much of a cash cow. I am not sure West Va. would fit. Seems like they are located on a different planet. Maybe expand to 18 and add N.C. State, Virginia Tech, F.S.U. and Clemson. It keeps the geography much tighter.
Just bring in the Virginia schools, put them in the East, move Missouri and aTm to the West, play a 9 game conference schedule, and rotate home and home with two teams in the opposite division every two years. Boom. Done.

Just bring in the Virginia schools, put them in the East, move Missouri and aTm to the West, play a 9 game conference schedule, and rotate home and home with two teams in the opposite division every two years. Boom. Done.
Isn't aTm in the west?

Get rid of Mizzou. Despite their streaky success in the SEC, they've never belonged.

West Virginia Mountaineers, absolutely do.

SEC NORTH
West Virginia
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Georgia
Arkansas

SEC SOUTH
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Alabama

The rivalry between Georgia and Tennessee has always been a more true rivalry.
Florida has been our bain. I think we only win 15 % of the time? 15 out of 100?
Ridiculous.

Bama could still be our Permanent cross division opponent. But let Florida and Alabama play each other every year. They're more similar and not inherently afraid of one another like we are to Florida.

Reactions: BucksnortVol

VN Store

Back