'21 NC DT Payton Page (Clemson commit)

I think they’re 10-2 in their last 12 games against the SEC with the only 2 losses to Bama and LSU In NC games. Critics will say that’s due to playing SC every year but they’ve beaten Bama twice, Auburn and A&M in the last 4 years.
They would definitely be able to compete at a high level in the sec. The only thing that bothers me is when they do play a sec team late in the year they are always very healthy and rested because they have played a very easy schedule.

I think they’re 10-2 in their last 12 games against the SEC with the only 2 losses to Bama and LSU In NC games. Critics will say that’s due to playing SC every year but they’ve beaten Bama twice, Auburn and A&M in the last 4 years.
I think what most are getting at when they bring up Clemson is that they haven’t had to play a grinding schedule throughout the year in quite some time so they don’t go through nearly the injuries/wear and tear that SEC teams do. Also given the SEC schedule, Clemson would have much less room for error since the SEC collectively has better teams top to bottom. Not all about who they have beaten in the playoffs as it is how would they fare with the physicality of our conference throughout the course of a full season. There’s a reason that SEC teams typically have a loss or two and still make the playoffs while most others almost have to go undefeated.

They would definitely be able to compete at a high level in the sec. The only thing that bothers me is when they do play a sec team late in the year they are always very healthy and rested because they have played a very easy schedule.

No doubt.

I keep hearing this. And top to bottom SEC has been king for about 20 years now.

Truthfully, though...
Clemson beats UGA if they play last year. Or the year before. Florida's defense would have made it interesting ,but the running of Lawrence would have made Clemson SEC East champions at the very least. And of course they did beat Alabama. Smashed them. No one was beating LSU this season when then were on all cylinders. But Clemson would have similar success in the SEC the last 7 years as they've had in the ACC. They're recruiting the same top level players...

FSU won't get back under Norvell.
Miami is beginning to recruit better again.
Virginia and North Carolina are the two emerging teams in that conference that can actually challenge Clemson.

It is easier for Clemson in the ACC, but they would still be winning big in our conference. They'd play in the SEC East and they would be in Atlanta every year...
Clemson would’ve beaten every SEC team last year except LSU and Alabama WITH a healthy Tua

Also, FSU should be back to contending for the ACC by 2021. Miami has always recruited decent but they’ll never have solid team chemistry because they rely on too many transfers at critical positions every season. They also can’t recruit for s**t on the OL. They are what they are at this point.. an 8-9 win team. So is UVA until they recruit better. UNC is a very real threat to Clemson for at least the next 2-3 years. Their success will eventually fade out.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Clemson would’ve beaten every SEC team last year except LSU and Alabama WITH a healthy Tua

Also, FSU should be back to contending for the ACC by 2021. Miami has always recruited decent but they’ll never have solid team chemistry because they rely on too many transfers at critical positions every season. They also can’t recruit for s**t on the OL. They are what they are at this point.. an 8-9 win team. So is UVA until they recruit better. UNC is a very real threat to Clemson for at least the next 2-3 years. Their success will eventually fade out.
I think the point is if Clemson was in the SEC where every SEC game is a battle they would not sail through each year to the playoffs. They probably wouldn't sail through to the SEC championship every year. And they probably would not have kept their coach long enough to build a team like they have now because his teams at the beginning would not have had only two teams they had to worry about.

I think the point is if Clemson was in the SEC where every SEC game is a battle they would not sail through each year to the playoffs. They probably wouldn't sail through to the SEC championship every year. And they probably would not have kept their coach long enough to build a team like they have now because his teams at the beginning would not have had only two teams they had to worry about.
Clemson would have been in the East and would have been in Atlanta every year, with a good chance to win it as well.

Reactions: LittleVol
I think what most are getting at when they bring up Clemson is that they haven’t had to play a grinding schedule throughout the year in quite some time so they don’t go through nearly the injuries/wear and tear that SEC teams do. Also given the SEC schedule, Clemson would have much less room for error since the SEC collectively has better teams top to bottom. Not all about who they have beaten in the playoffs as it is how would they fare with the physicality of our conference throughout the course of a full season. There’s a reason that SEC teams typically have a loss or two and still make the playoffs while most others almost have to go undefeated.

You also have to consider the old saying that iron sharpens iron. I’ll concede that injuries to key players will eventually devastate almost any team, and tougher competition puts you at greater risk of injury. However, if you’re able to successfully avoid the injury bug then playing the better competition probably ends up working to your advantage.

Reactions: tn4elvis
You also have to consider the old saying that iron sharpens iron. I’ll concede that injuries to key players will eventually devastate almost any team, and tougher competition puts you at greater risk of injury. However, if you’re able to successfully avoid the injury bug then playing the better competition probably ends up working to your advantage.
Injuries do play a huge role. I remember one year Al lost all three starting lbs. Alot of times the NFL playoffs come down to who is the healthiest at that time.Not who has been the best team all year.

Exactly.

This is the main point where I was getting at.

Great work.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
True but they aren’t beaten up weak in and weak out either. The ACC was the worst I have ever seen it last year and is just awful

Say they played in the East, and their permanent crossover was A&M.

That means every year they play:
Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Texas A&M

And one out of these 3 most years:
Alabama, Auburn, LSU

Then Alabama/LSU/Auburn AGAIN

That’s a MUCH tougher slog to Conference Champions than what they currently face.

Alabama, Auburn, LSU

That’s a MUCH tougher slog to Conference Champions than what they currently face.

Come on man, Clemson has to play teams like Louisville, Boston College, NC State, Wake Forest, and Syracuse every year!! Just think what Tennessee's record would be against that gaunlet! Naw, give me Florida, Georgia, and that patsy Bama team.

I had a bad feeling watching that interview with him with AP how he talked about how long his relationship with Clemson’s DL coach was.

Best way I can think to sum it up...A healthy Clemson is a formidable team, but they're less likely to stay healthy all season if they played in the SEC. Top to bottom, SEC defenses are more physical than other conferences on the regular. You're gonna have injuries. It's how you deal with those injuries, how the team responds, that makes or breaks your season. Not as much of a worry in other conferences, like the ACC.

Alabama, Auburn, LSU

People may think me crazy, but I'd rather have Clemson in the SEC than Mizzou.

VN Store

Back