'21 NC DT Payton Page (Clemson commit)

Get rid of Mizzou. Despite their streaky success in the SEC, they've never belonged.

West Virginia Mountaineers, absolutely do.

SEC NORTH
West Virginia
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Georgia
Arkansas

SEC SOUTH
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Alabama

The rivalry between Georgia and Tennessee has always been a more true rivalry.
Florida has been our bain. I think we only win 15 % of the time? 15 out of 100?
Ridiculous.

Bama could still be our Permanent cross division opponent. But let Florida and Alabama play each other every year. They're more similar and not inherently afraid of one another like we are to Florida.
Calm down on the Florida part. I know they've completely owned the series recently (14 out of 15), but before that streak we actually had a sizeable lead in the series. It's currently 29-20 Florida, so currently we win about 40% of the time, before 2005 it was 19-15 us.

Reactions: TennMan101
Calm down on the Florida part. I know they've completely owned the series recently (14 out of 15), but before that streak we actually had a sizeable lead in the series. It's currently 29-20 Florida, so currently we win about 40% of the time, before 2005 it was 19-15 us.
WVU is a big east team.

GA Tech, UNC. Or gtfo.

While you make some good points we didn’t start playing UF on an annual basis until 1990. Since then they have completely owned us.

Reactions: onevol74
As it pertains to my being recruited, I'd like to announce the day I will announce the day I will announce. Respect my decision.
Every year it’s a new way to generate more interest in their recruitment. Someone would make a lot of money, if they came out with a “This years latest trends to initiate interest in your recruitment”

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Absolutely none..coaches can’t see players at the moment anyway..
None imo. Kid will probably go back and forth 1,000 times by that date. Vols have made a helluva run but I will go with Clemson since they have been with him for so long

A couple of thoughts re: the “if Clemson played in the SEC” hypo:

1) I’ve never subscribed to the idea that players are more likely to be injured against good teams than bad teams. Injuries typically have more to do with a knee or ankle going the wrong way than an opponent playing tough, physical football. So I don’t think Clemson would have had more injuries. Tennessee’s most devastating injuries a few years ago came against App State, losing 2 of our 3 best defensive players.

2) There was a season a few years ago in which the ACC matched up well with the SEC. They even won the head to head series with the SEC that year. Maybe 2018?

3) That said, I think Clemson suffers more losses in the SEC simply because you’re not gonna get away with your down games as easily because the SEC is deeper. That North Carolina game in which they struggled last year is a loss against at least half of the SEC.

4) But THAT said, Clemson would still be a great program in the SEC. If they’re in the SEC East instead of South Carolina, they’re probably competing with Georgia for the division for the last 5-7 years and winning it most of those. Then those epic matchups with Bama would just come earlier in Atlanta. So while they wouldn’t be getting out of the SEC undefeated, they’d still get out with just a loss and a shot at the playoffs, which they’d probably win if they got by Bama in Atlanta (most of those years).

Reactions: xtremevolfan

1) I’ve never subscribed to the idea that players are more likely to be injured against good teams than bad teams. Injuries typically have more to do with a knee or ankle going the wrong way than an opponent playing tough, physical football. So I don’t think Clemson would have had more injuries. Tennessee’s most devastating injuries a few years ago came against App State, losing 2 of our 3 best defensive players.

2) There was a season a few years ago in which the ACC matched up well with the SEC. They even won the head to head series with the SEC that year. Maybe 2018?

3) That said, I think Clemson suffers more losses in the SEC simply because you’re not gonna get away with your down games as easily because the SEC is deeper. That North Carolina game in which they struggled last year is a loss against at least half of the SEC.

4) But THAT said, Clemson would still be a great program in the SEC. If they’re in the SEC East instead of South Carolina, they’re probably competing with Georgia for the division for the last 5-7 years and winning it most of those. Then those epic matchups with Bama would just come earlier in Atlanta. So while they wouldn’t be getting out of the SEC undefeated, they’d still get out with just a loss and a shot at the playoffs, which they’d probably win if they got by Bama in Atlanta (most of those years).

I think the argument is your good players are on the field longer because you’re playing better teams thus increasing your chance of injury. Also, the more fatigued you are, the greater your chance of injury, which increases the longer you are on the field.

2) There was a season a few years ago in which the ACC matched up well with the SEC. They even won the head to head series with the SEC that year. maybe 2018?

3) That said, I think Clemson suffers more losses in the SEC simply because you’re not finna get away with your down games as easily because the SEC is deeper. That North Carolina game in which they struggled last year is a loss against at least half of the SEC.

4) But THAT said, Clemson would still be a great program in the SEC. If they’re in the SEC East instead of South Carolina, they’re probably competing with Georgia for the division for the last 5-7 years and winning it most of those. Then those epic matchups with Bama would just come earlier in Atlanta.
It isn't that you're more likely to be injured against good teams. It that the SEC plays tough physical defense on most every play with most every team week after week. That takes its toll on a body.
One season should not be used to discount the toughness of the SEC compared to other conferences. The SEC has a reputation for being the best conference that let's you play against the toughest competition for a reason. And every year someone comes along to point to a thing or two to say it isn't true anymore.
Yes, Clemson would definitely suffer more losses in the SEC. And as stated before, it is unlikely that Dabo would have be kept as Clemson's coach after 2 or 3 years if he had been trying to build a team in the SEC. A lot of coaches that have been fired in the SEC would have been given more years if they had coached the same team in the ACC because their records would have been a whole lot better.

1 and 2 purely anecdotal, if Clem played in the Sec their starters would have to play deeper into the 3rd and 4th quarter against faster and stronger athletes on average. That cumulative effect results in the winner of the Sec being usually seasoned and deep with experience come playoff time. If they didn’t have that month before bowl games I think you’d see these rested big ten and acc teams beat us more often

SEC East
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Georgia
Florida
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Vanderbilt

SEC West
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
LSU
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Alabama
Auburn

As bad as Vandy is you can’t get rid of a founding member, unless they just choose to opt out for whatever reason they would do that.

Then bounce Missouri to the Big 10 as the Big 12 crumbles and snatch up Oklahoma and West Virginia. Then in a perfect world slide Virginia Tech in somehow out of ACC and you have a perfect conference.

SEC East
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Georgia
Florida
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Vanderbilt

SEC West
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
LSU
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Alabama
Auburn

As bad as Vandy is you can’t get rid of a founding member, unless they just choose to opt out for whatever reason they would do that.

Then bounce Missouri to the Big 10 as the Big 12 crumbles and snatch up Oklahoma and West Virginia. Then in a perfect world slide Virginia Tech in somehow out of ACC and you have a perfect conference.
Virginia Tech in SEC is cringeworthy. Get rid of TAMU & Mizzou.

GA Tech, FSU, or hell...id rather have Tulane back

VN Store

Back