‘23 NC DL Daevin Hobbs (Tennessee commit)

Our DB room wasn't great to start, and nearly every DB we had was out during spring with injury. We all hoped that Dee Williams would be a lock down CB, but he struggled in the spring and was injured (or something) the first four games of the season. He's been a great punt returner, but nothing else yet. The guys we got in the portal are safeties/star position types. Then the CB position has been the only position constantly hit by injury this season. Our safeties just aren't very good. Tank has been worse since his legal issues. There just hasn't been continuity or the opportunity for great development for a position room that was already the weakest on the team. That's not an excuse for Saturdays total defensive performance. Just stating some facts.

It's true but the inability to adjust or throw anything different at SC was baffling. TB still needs to prove he's capable of being a DC (and it's not impossible he can), just as much as the kids currently on the roster need to prove they can play the positions.

That said Daevin Hobbs is a massive step in the right direction for the defense.
We blitzed on 46% of defensive plays. They were searching for answers but when you can't get to a hot QB and your secondary can't cover, you are screwed.

We blitzed on 46% of defensive plays. They were searching for answers but when you can't get to a hot QB and your secondary can't cover, you are screwed.

Without the stats in front of me I'd say that's about the rate we normally blitz at. Our pass rush fading down the stretch is an issue more than just Banks need to answer for.

I'm more talking about why we continued to allow so much cushion to their WRs. Why our guys couldn't identify their assignments in the zone. Why we allowed a 3rd and 20 conversion on a play that had been run 2 plays before that. But let's be real, the defensive issues were present all year. Ranked 85th and the 92nd ranked offense hung a 60 burger on us.

I will concede that it's possible Banks just needs to get his own guys in here. But my concerns I had when he was hired about lack of playcalling experience... yeah nothing has been done to alleviate that.

Reactions: MarcoVol
My take on Banks is this.
1. He is playing with 1 arm tied behind his back. He have very little talent in D. We have no really great DBs or even average. When they may group can perform well (See UK) it changes the defense.
2. Before the USC cluster, they were averaging 22 per game. That’s great with this offense.
3. We have had change after Change. Do not just revert back. CWM has a really good record. He has some really good DBs coming along with some transfers too.
We can’t just forget the game. That was the worst defensive coaching job in a very long time. They have up 9 touchdowns from 10 drives. I’m not saying we don’t need better talent, but that’s a big coaching issue.

When you're not covering, send more. If they are leaving 5 in to block send 6. If they're leaving 7 in to block send 8. Desperate times call for Desperate measures. What's the risk? Give up a touchdown?

When you're not covering, send more. If they are leaving 5 in to block send 6. If they're leaving 7 in to block send 8. Desperate times call for Desperate measures. What's the risk? Give up a touchdown?
That’s pretty much my thought. Nothing they were doing was working. Send as many as it takes to get rattler uncomfortable.
What’s the worst that could happen? A TD?
Well that was already happening

To be fair it depends on the job. What if it's a surgeon, or a stock broker, or an airplane pilot? Then you'd probably be fired for one bad day. It could happen

Stock broker the only one of those who would be fired.

A surgeon would have to straight up murder multiple patients on the same day to get fired. I know a bunch of sh*tty surgeons. Lazy, unorganized, inattentive.

Shortage of pilots so they wouldn’t get fired.

Now, lose someone’s money - that’s something everyone seems to care about.

Our DB room wasn't great to start, and nearly every DB we had was out during spring with injury. We all hoped that Dee Williams would be a lock down CB, but he struggled in the spring and was injured (or something) the first four games of the season. He's been a great punt returner, but nothing else yet. The guys we got in the portal are safeties/star position types. Then the CB position has been the only position constantly hit by injury this season. Our safeties just aren't very good. Tank has been worse since his legal issues. There just hasn't been continuity or the opportunity for great development for a position room that was already the weakest on the team. That's not an excuse for Saturdays total defensive performance. Just stating some facts.
Tank and Flowers are so bad in coverage. If your safeties can’t cover their halves of the back end, then the corners are going to get beat majority of the time especially when the pass rush can’t get to the qb.

Tank and Flowers are so bad in coverage. If your safeties can’t cover their halves of the back end, then the corners are going to get beat majority of the time especially when the pass rush can’t get to the qb.
The safeties being so slow has really been the one issue everyone can agree on.

Tank being the weaker of the two is coming back so, ya hope he magically puts it together or maybe finally someone else freaking emerges lime Turrentine or Walker.

Stock broker the only one of those who would be fired.

A surgeon would have to straight up murder multiple patients on the same day to get fired. I know a bunch of sh*tty surgeons. Lazy, unorganized, inattentive.

Shortage of pilots so they wouldn’t get fired.

Now, lose someone’s money - that’s something everyone seems to care about.
To be fair our Defensive coaches were eyewitnesses to a murder on Saturday.

VN Store

Back