‘23 NC DL Daevin Hobbs (Tennessee commit)

Notice the family's use of "will" and "can" rather than "would" or "could." A subtle (and perhaps subconscious) hint that playing for Tennessee is a tangible reality for them.

I agree. To add to your post, I listened to the VQ video in the thread and noticed that he said at the end of the video that he, "liked everything else that "we" was (sic) doing..." in regards to the defense. He didn't say "they".

Vol

Friedman's take: FICTION. Hobbs has been gushing about his trip to Knoxville after seeing the Vols up close. The visit definitely helped Tennessee in its pursuit of the big-time defensive lineman, but I'm not ready to call the Vols the clear leader for him just yet. Hobbs is expected to take multiple official and unofficial visits this fall to each of his top contenders. Tennessee is supposed to get an unofficial visit, but Alabama and Georgia are both on Hobbs' schedule as well. Georgia seemed to prioritize Hobbs earlier than both Alabama and Tennessee and that could pay dividends for the Dawgs down the road. With a commitment expected in late November, there is still a feeling that Georgia could be the team to beat, but the difference between the Dawgs and the rest of the field is very small.

Winstel's take: FICTION. I had a conversation with Hobbs following his visit to Tennessee. He raved about the environment during his official visit weekend, and the Vols definitely helped their case with a ranked win in front of a massive home crowd. It’s clear Tennessee is one of his leaders, but at this point I still think it’s too close to say that the Vols are his sole leader. Alabama and Georgia are pushing hard and are major players in his recruitment.
Fact or Fiction: Tennessee now leads for Daevin Hobbs

pretty much what AP has said. the visit going well, us winning, was important...he's coming back for the Bama game, and supposedly his trip to UGA will be for the Tennessee game. so he'll see Tennessee plenty. nationally, i think there's still this notion that if UGA or Bama is heavily involved, then the default setting is to go with one of those two vs. going out on a limb. %'s wise, it's probably a very safe way to play it. and there's really not a reason not to right now.

but, i think our hat is definitely in the ring, and i don't think we're just a hat on the table.

would be cool to close this one out, much to everyone else's chagrin......

pretty much what AP has said. the visit going well, us winning, was important...he's coming back for the Bama game, and supposedly his trip to UGA will be for the Tennessee game. so he'll see Tennessee plenty. nationally, i think there's still this notion that if UGA or Bama is heavily involved, then the default setting is to go with one of those two vs. going out on a limb. %'s wise, it's probably a very safe way to play it. and there's really not a reason not to right now.

but, i think our hat is definitely in the ring, and i don't think we're just a hat on the table.

Good summary... I agree

He will be seeing us play 3x. We the leader. This feels like m’pemba recruitment… he’s visiting other schools when they play uga

He will be seeing us play 3x. We the leader. This feels like m’pemba recruitment… he’s visiting other schools when they play uga
i dont' think we're "the leader". i'm not sure you could say anyone really "leads" honestly. i think it's more or less conventional wisdom at work here more than anything else, and that, in the end, may be what happens anyway. but you don't see a team 3x's in one season and not actually consider them or go thru the process of seeing yourself at that school.

How did Georgia prioritize him when they offered 2 months after us? I think Friedman got Georgia and Bama mixed up
They keep saying we "offered late." What they're meaning is that he visited several times before we did offer. It's not so much the timing of his offer compared to the timing of his offer from those schools. It's the timing of his offer compared to the amount of visits he made here first.

Do you think it’s possible a recruit chooses a school on things other than who is the winningest program? Maybe the position coach, maybe how he feels about the other players as people? Seems like every other recruit says they’re looking for a family environment. Don’t recall a recruit saying they’re looking for the team who is perceived as the winningest program of late? Who really knows what 17 year old athletes view as most appealing - maybe the highest NIL is what’s most important to the majority like with Francis.

One who isn’t bumping his announcement date up, but is definitely narrowing his focus is Daevin Hobbs. Tennessee is in as good of a spot as they could hope to be in coming out of last weekend. Still a long way to go but he will see them play two more times in person. He is coming back for the Alabama game and then will officially visit Georgia for their match up with Tennessee.
-VQ

VN Store

Back