'19 NC CB Tyus Fields (Tennessee signee)

Tyus Fields’ High School Head Coach: “He Just Makes Plays”

By Nathan Rutherford

Matt Jenkins was hired as the head coach of William Amos Hough (pronounced “huff) High School prior to the start of the 2017 season. He coached Fields last season, but even before he was his head coach he knew about the talented defensive back.

“(Fields) came in right away as a young man who was extremely athletic, a smart football player,” Jenkins told me in a recent interview. “He has a really good understanding of the game, you know just very naturally smart and very instinctive in his play. You could see that early on as a freshman.”

Jenkins said Fields played cornerback as a freshman and sophomore and was also used as a tailback those first two years. Last year, he barely played on offense, but he made yet another position change.

“After our first game, we moved him to safety and he played free safety for us,” Jenkins stated. “Tyus had 92 tackles from that spot for us last year. I think he can play corner at the next level, and I think he can play nickel all day long at the next level. I think what Tennessee is getting in him is that they have a young man who gives them so much versatility in what he can do. If he comes in as a freshman and isn’t a starter at corner, he gives you a guy that you can put out at nickel and play man coverage with him. He’s extremely physical in the run game and can contribute right away that way.

“I don’t know if there’s a natural spot for him, but he’s one of the better corners I’ve seen. I know this: When we need to shut a guy down, all we gotta do is put (Fields) on him and there’s not any concern anymore. He has that ability to be a shutdown corner, but he may be more natural at a nickel spot.”
“He just makes plays,” Jenkins said of Fields. “I think there’s way too much credence given on a kid being 6-foot-1. At the college level, even at the highest level in the SEC, (coaches) have to get guys who make football plays. And that’s what Tyus does. He’s a football player that makes plays. For us, and for me specifically, production is what matters. And I think for Coach Pruitt as well, that’s what they think. For them, production matters.

“He’s big enough and physical enough to play at that level without any question. Whether he’s 5-10 or 6-foot, I don’t think that matters.”

Jenkins would go on to add that he doesn’t envision Fields redshirting in 2019 as a true freshman, and he thinks he’ll “play on every special team they have” even if he doesn’t find playing time immediately on defense.

-- Rocky Top Insider
Full Article

Tyus Fields today after the debacle at OSU

gfoorkb247q01.gif

How son of former Carolina Panthers linebacker is making name for himself at Hough High

Hough High cornerback Tyus Fields, who will play in college next season at Tennessee, said he can sprint 40 yards in 4.4 seconds.

But he admits he’s still not the fastest person in his family.

Fields’ dad, Mark Sr., played in the NFL for the Saints, Rams and Panthers. His sister, Milan, is a sophomore track star at Hough. And his big brother, also named Mark, is a starting senior cornerback for coach Dabo Sweeney’s national championship contender at Clemson.

Mark Jr., Tyus admits, is the fastest in the house.

“Athleticism,” he said, “just kind of runs in my family.”

Tyus Fields is a 5-foot-11, 185-pound ball of muscle and sports long, dyed locks of hair. He’s ranked among the nation’s Top 250 overall college prospects by 247Sports, No. 23 nationally at his position and No. 6 overall in North Carolina.

Asked about his best attributes on the field, Fields smiles.

“My physicality and my cover skills,” he said. “I like hitting people.”

Last season, Fields had 92 tackles and two interceptions, one of which he returned 105 yards for a touchdown. He’s one of 16 starters and 35 lettermen returning from last season’s 11-4 Hough team that lost 20-10 to Mallard Creek in the N.C. 4AA state semifinals.

In Fields, Jenkins has a player blessed with rare talent. He received 11 college scholarship offers, which included Florida State, Ohio State, North Carolina and N.C. State.

But did he consider Clemson like his brother?

“I visited Clemson,” Fields said. “I’ve been to a lot of their games, but Clemson was for my brother.”

He said he chose Tennessee over Florida State, Penn State and Wisconsin.

“When I went up there (to Knoxville) and visited a few times, coach (Jeremy) Pruitt was there, and he really brought everybody together,” Fields said, “and he showed me that it was something special. I wanted to be part of it.”

Jenkins said Tennessee is getting a special talent.

“He’s one of those kids who can play any spot in the secondary,” Jenkins said. “He’s that talented. He’s one of our leaders, and our defense really goes how he goes.”

Charlotte Observer
Full Article here

How son of former Carolina Panthers linebacker is making name for himself at Hough High

Hough High cornerback Tyus Fields, who will play in college next season at Tennessee, said he can sprint 40 yards in 4.4 seconds.

But he admits he’s still not the fastest person in his family.

Fields’ dad, Mark Sr., played in the NFL for the Saints, Rams and Panthers. His sister, Milan, is a sophomore track star at Hough. And his big brother, also named Mark, is a starting senior cornerback for coach Dabo Sweeney’s national championship contender at Clemson.

Mark Jr., Tyus admits, is the fastest in the house.

“Athleticism,” he said, “just kind of runs in my family.”

Tyus Fields is a 5-foot-11, 185-pound ball of muscle and sports long, dyed locks of hair. He’s ranked among the nation’s Top 250 overall college prospects by 247Sports, No. 23 nationally at his position and No. 6 overall in North Carolina.

Asked about his best attributes on the field, Fields smiles.

“My physicality and my cover skills,” he said. “I like hitting people.”

Last season, Fields had 92 tackles and two interceptions, one of which he returned 105 yards for a touchdown. He’s one of 16 starters and 35 lettermen returning from last season’s 11-4 Hough team that lost 20-10 to Mallard Creek in the N.C. 4AA state semifinals.

In Fields, Jenkins has a player blessed with rare talent. He received 11 college scholarship offers, which included Florida State, Ohio State, North Carolina and N.C. State.

But did he consider Clemson like his brother?

“I visited Clemson,” Fields said. “I’ve been to a lot of their games, but Clemson was for my brother.”

He said he chose Tennessee over Florida State, Penn State and Wisconsin.

“When I went up there (to Knoxville) and visited a few times, coach (Jeremy) Pruitt was there, and he really brought everybody together,” Fields said, “and he showed me that it was something special. I wanted to be part of it.”

Jenkins said Tennessee is getting a special talent.

“He’s one of those kids who can play any spot in the secondary,” Jenkins said. “He’s that talented. He’s one of our leaders, and our defense really goes how he goes.”

Charlotte Observer
Full Article here

Wow! After reading that, I want to have his baby.

Reactions: TennGentry
Wow. That's a huge win for Hough.

Talked to a head coach at a clinic before the season and he referred to Hough as "Hough University," said they had something like seven D1 guys alone.

VN Store

Back