‘23 NC ATH Zack Myers (NC State commit)

The portal is not absolute. Recruiting high school players lends to a huge pool of players with plenty of potential and a bunch that you can develop. The portal leaves every team in the country vying for a few bona-fide stars, a few worthwhile projects, and a ton of rejects. I wouldn't hedge my bets on the portal for success every year.

problem with recruiting high school players is retention with NIL and Portal. 73 of Rivals top 250 players in their 2020 rankings have already left the school they signed with. That's 30% gone in 2 years or less after signing. Percent likely higher for those below the top 250.

in 2022 signing classes, noticed that many schools signed much less than the 25 they could have. Could be roster management due to COVID and players getting an extra year.

I prefer UT get and retain high school players. Think that is better for long term success rather than depending on portal. JMO. But reality is your going to have to depend on youth frequently so your high school signees had best be very good.

Our portal numbers include walk ons and guys that weren't even on the roster last year, but hit the portal this year. Not just scholarship players, which is all that actually matters.

every schools portal numbers include walk on's and guys not on rosters. Just the way the portal works. I don't try and identify every teams walk-ons and adjust numbers.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Thanks for the info. Not sure I agree with the last sentence (eg Bama’s starting WR and UF secondary starter) but is what it is…

the players that Georgia and Alabama recruit are ready to play. Its why they have the records they have every year. They lose a lot every year. Bama has had to rebuild their WRs every year for the last 4 or 5 and don't miss a beat. Georgia still has a roster full of 4 and 5 stars. So many, they have not even taken a portal player.

problem with recruiting high school players is retention with NIL and Portal. 73 of Rivals top 250 players in their 2020 rankings have already left the school they signed with. That's 30% gone in 2 years or less after signing. Percent likely higher for those below the top 250.

in 2022 signing classes, noticed that many schools signed much less than the 25 they could have. Could be roster management due to COVID and players getting an extra year.

I prefer UT get and retain high school players. Think that is better for long term success rather than depending on portal. JMO. But reality is your going to have to depend on youth frequently so your high school signees had best be very good.
Part of the reason that 73 of the of the rivals 250 hit the portal is because we saw an unprecedented number of coaching changes at major programs. Coaching changes that in many cases had nothing to do with poor on field performance. You may be correct, and this is the new normal. If that's the case, and you think everyone should expect nearly 30% roster turnover every season, we are witnessing the beginning of the death of college football. Just look at the portal the last two seasons and see how many kids don't find a new destination at all. Coaching contracts saw a major increase in pay in '22, so one would assume that the same trend will happen with NIL moving forward if not regulated. The future that you are implying also would indicate that there will be no loyalty to or from anyone. No loyalty to or from school, coaches, or teammates. You can always name individuals to support this, but your scenario would imply the majority. Amateur athletics is one of the last things that we have left that instills a lot of important qualities like loyalty and brotherhood. Those things won't change in lower classifications because money won't be deciding factor. I love college football because it's not the NFL. It's the last stop with an ounce of purity where it can be about love of the game, bonds with your teammates, and loyalty to a brand(university). If those factors disappear from the game, then I'll likely stop watching.

Reactions: Orange.
Part of the reason that 73 of the of the rivals 250 hit the portal is because we saw an unprecedented number of coaching changes at major programs. Coaching changes that in many cases had nothing to do with poor on field performance. You may be correct, and this is the new normal. If that's the case, and you think everyone should expect nearly 30% roster turnover every season, we are witnessing the beginning of the death of college football. Just look at the portal the last two seasons and see how many kids don't find a new destination at all. Coaching contracts saw a major increase in pay in '22, so one would assume that the same trend will happen with NIL moving forward if not regulated. The future that you are implying also would indicate that there will be no loyalty to or from anyone. No loyalty to or from school, coaches, or teammates. You can always name individuals to support this, but your scenario would imply the majority. Amateur athletics is one of the last things that we have left that instills a lot of important qualities like loyalty and brotherhood. Those things won't change in lower classifications because money won't be deciding factor. I love college football because it's not the NFL. It's the last stop with an ounce of purity where it can be about love of the game, bonds with your teammates, and loyalty to a brand(university). If those factors disappear from the game, then I'll likely stop watching.
Lol college football is the purest of pure so much parity to root for

I'm with you on this 100%. I do not watch any professional sports except for golf. Have not watched any of it in over 20 years. College sports I've watched for over 60 years while having 14 tickets to Tennessee football games. I no longer have those as my body just can't handle it any longer and its easier to watch from my lazy boy.

NIL and Portal have lessened my interest. I just don't follow recruiting like I used to. I could not name all the players that UT signed in last class. Don't have any idea right now of how many commitments they have for 23 or who any are. I still will eventually prepare the spreadsheets of data I've accumulated for years and years. Keeps my mind active and does provide talking points for me based on data.

The norm on attrition for years has been right at 30-35% of a recruiting class will not finish their eligibility with the original school they sign with. I've kept that data so know that to be true. I can't imagine with NIL and Portal as it is now, that the percent of attrition will do nothing but increase. I'm talking strictly scholarship players.

I will attach some of the historical data I've retained over the years to back up the attrition statements.

My point is due to having a complete dud class, it doesn't allow you to encourage as many kids to look elsewhere. It absolutely puts you behind the 8 ball as you try to stack talent in classes. I think that's what all the highly regarded PWO's are about. We have to find a way to make up for an entire recruiting class lost.
Hard to stack talent if the class had no talent!

Me too. However, I do think the portal is a fast way to fill holes in the roster with a few players who are good players and have a year or two of experience. Kiffin was able to do that and Hooker and a few others helped our team last year.

I'm surprised we didn't push. Good athlete with a lot of versatility. Plus he's young for the class.

I thought the barristers of the NCAA were going to designate and limit the time period for a 1 time portal transfer. It’s been crickets since they mentioned it. Anyone heard anything??? GBO!

VN Store

Back