‘23 NC ATH Zack Myers (NC State commit)

There will be a few every year, but encouraging massive roster turnover is a recipe for disaster. We've already lost damn near the whole '21 recruiting class.
We lost that class because we showed them the way, Willis is the perfect example, just a bunch of tweeners

Reactions: lenoxvol
And it worked out just fine, the next 2 years if they're non contributors they'll be pushed that way
It's not that simple. This will leave us relying on too many freshmen or walk ons at some point. That's a recipe for a 6 win type season (cue up the fire Heupel crowd). It also means that you've had too many misses in your recruiting classes.

It's not that simple. This will leave us relying on too many freshmen or walk ons at some point. That's a recipe for a 6 win type season (cue up the fire Heupel crowd). It also means that you've had too many misses in your recruiting classes.
2021 was a dud class, they were just bodies, like I said there's a reason most of that class was pushed to the portal

2021 was a dud class, they were just bodies, like I said there's a reason most of that class was pushed to the portal
My point is due to having a complete dud class, it doesn't allow you to encourage as many kids to look elsewhere. It absolutely puts you behind the 8 ball as you try to stack talent in classes. I think that's what all the highly regarded PWO's are about. We have to find a way to make up for an entire recruiting class lost.

My point is due to having a complete dud class, it doesn't allow you to encourage as many kids to look elsewhere. It absolutely puts you behind the 8 ball as you try to stack talent in classes. I think that's what all the highly regarded PWO's are about. We have to find a way to make up for an entire recruiting class lost.
This is where the transfer portal comes in and also we can sign more than 25 players in a recruiting class now…this isn’t the 90’s anymore

Who is the poster that keeps up with those stats?

In the SEC, here are the numbers going into portal by team:

Alabama - 22
Arkansas - 21
Auburn - 21
Florida - 12
Georgia -12
Kentucky - 16
LSU - 16
Mississippi St - 24
Missouri - 17
Ole Miss - 23
Carolina - 18
Tennessee - 20
Texas A&M - 12
Vandy - 19

Lot of schools lost less than Tennessee in this cycle

There will be a few every year, but encouraging massive roster turnover is a recipe for disaster. We've already lost damn near the whole '21 recruiting class.

with the portal and NIL, expect roster turnover of 30-40% every year going forward. Might even increase after a couple years.

caveat: college presidents come up with a change to limit transfers.

that very well could be 2023 unless they hit the portal really heavy starting August 1.

Alabama - 22
Arkansas - 21
Auburn - 21
Florida - 12
Georgia -12
Kentucky - 16
LSU - 16
Mississippi St - 24
Missouri - 17
Ole Miss - 23
Carolina - 18
Tennessee - 20
Texas A&M - 12
Vandy - 19

Can you do it by snaps? Almost guaranteed that UGA’s 12 were more impactful than our 20.

Can you do it by snaps? Almost guaranteed that UGA’s 12 were more impactful than our 20.

Tiyon Evans is literally the only one that did anything. Even he couldnt/wouldn't stay on the field. Most of these dudes couldn't get on the field due to performance or always hurt (Calbert). A few just recruited over.

Gibbs
Willis
Nixon
Robinson
Fields
Akpo
Marley
Bell
Calbert
Orr
Coby
Bailey
Albright
Beckwith
Evans
Joseph
CFA
Hodge
Maurer

Georgia players that left got into 103 games, Tennessee players got into 30 games. Close as I can get to snaps.

Georgia won't miss the players they lost just like Tennessee won't miss what they lost.

This is where the transfer portal comes in and also we can sign more than 25 players in a recruiting class now…this isn’t the 90’s anymore
It's not the 90's but some things don't change. Like team chemistry and locker room dynamics. You have too much roster turnover and the chances of those things being disrupted go up exponentially. Talent alone is not enough.

that very well could be 2023 unless they hit the portal really heavy starting August 1.
The portal is not absolute. Recruiting high school players lends to a huge pool of players with plenty of potential and a bunch that you can develop. The portal leaves every team in the country vying for a few bona-fide stars, a few worthwhile projects, and a ton of rejects. I wouldn't hedge my bets on the portal for success every year.

Reactions: miket4god

Alabama - 22
Arkansas - 21
Auburn - 21
Florida - 12
Georgia -12
Kentucky - 16
LSU - 16
Mississippi St - 24
Missouri - 17
Ole Miss - 23
Carolina - 18
Tennessee - 20
Texas A&M - 12
Vandy - 19

Our portal numbers include walk ons and guys that weren't even on the roster last year, but hit the portal this year. Not just scholarship players, which is all that actually matters.

Georgia players that left got into 103 games, Tennessee players got into 30 games. Close as I can get to snaps.

Georgia won't miss the players they lost just like Tennessee won't miss what they lost.

Thanks for the info. Not sure I agree with the last sentence (eg Bama’s starting WR and UF secondary starter) but is what it is…

They won’t encourage massive turnover but they will weed out the non-producers…. We had 13-14 scholarship athletes transfer out this past season…. Hopefully…. We don’t miss on that many guys going forward but it’s not as important as it once was due to the new transfer rules…. If the coaches(not fans) feel that it is important to get a guy into this class…. They will make it happen.

Our portal numbers include walk ons and guys that weren't even on the roster last year, but hit the portal this year. Not just scholarship players, which is all that actually matters.
We lost 13 scholarship players during and after the season…. 14 if you count will Albright.

VN Store

Back