'21 NC ATH Kaemen Marley (Tennessee signee)

If that’s how it’s stated, it makes no sense. A player can enter the portal and come back to their original school at some point. So, merely entering the portal means nothing. I would guess it is when they officially join their new school and as long as they completed their school work.
Schools no longer have to honor a players scholarship once they enter the portal. They can rejoin the team, but let's say you entered the portal in the fall and decide to take yourself out in the spring, you have voided your scholarship. It's then up to the coach if they elect to put you back on scholarship.

Why wouldn't they though?

You get limited per year scholarships, and lots of restrictions on getting more back from transfers....so it'd make more sense to bring over some PWOs who could be scholarship guys and wait until the dust settles and use those scholarships in the Fall.

PWO scholarships I believe are also only per semester, so it's not like burning one very long. I actually think Navy coming on board means Tayven will likely RS this season.
Tayven can be QB3 and play in up to 4 games and still redshirt. Also, all athletic scholarships are year to year. Getting a full scholarship doesn't automatically entitle you to 4+ years of paid education. Scholarship players get processed as well. It's an ugly side of things that isn't talked about very often. Awarding PWOs a scholly is great if you have the available spots, but we don't even know if Navy will beat out the other walk-ons.

We don't get spots for any of those guys according to the rules for the additional 7 spots. Players that qualify for the additional seven can't enter the portal before Dec 15th, or the end of the fall semester (whichever comes first).
Per the NCAA's own Q&A document published and a direct email it is based on when a player "departs".

Entering the portal isn't transferring. It's merely giving other coaches the ability to contact you.

Reactions: KptVFL
Schools no longer have to honor a players scholarship once they enter the portal. They can rejoin the team, but let's say you entered the portal in the fall and decide to take yourself out in the spring, you have voided your scholarship. It's then up to the coach if they elect to put you back on scholarship.
That part is true, though only after the current term. So if a kid transfers Jan 20th he still has his scholarship for all of Fall, but no guarantee after that.

Someone posted that was incorrect info…. That as long as they stayed and finished the semester at Tennessee and transfer academically eligible then we get credit for it but I wouldn’t bet my life on it.

Here is a cut and paste from an announcement about the ONE TIME deal....So it clarifies that it is not the ENTRY date into the portal but the exit date of the student after completion of the term that defines if you get a replacement. You enter to become eligible to have contact with other schools, but probably need to complete the term to be in academic standing to complete the transfer.

The waiver addresses concerns about potentially high numbers of college athletes transferring after all student-athletes were given the opportunity to compete immediately after transferring for the first time. It will apply at the end of the first term (students who depart on or after the earlier of the last day of the school's fall term or Dec. 15, 2021, which is the first day of the early National Letter of Intent signing period).

Not sure how many of our guys completed the term.

What is the rule for just the fall semester…I bet that if you start on scholarship that you get to finish the semester…. That is the only part that would matter, imo.

Reactions: Devo182
Even still, the timing of entering the portal itself should not be the significant factor in getting another scholarship.
According to the NCAA's own PR director and documentation it wouldn't be. As far as I can gather, "depart" is the key word they have used more recently.

It's tough to research since it isn't in the bylaws or even the LSDBi database, since it is a mere temporary waiver of regular rules...but here's the best additional document I've seen. Q/A #1 refers to "depart" which seems hard to misunderstand unless one simply overthinks things.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/co...t/D1FOC_AnnualSigningLimitBlanketWaiverQA.pdf

Reactions: VolGee4
What is the rule for just the fall semester…I bet that if you start on scholarship that you get to finish the semester…. That is the only part that would matter, imo.
It is guaranteed if you start the semester on scholarship

According to the NCAA's own PR director and documentation it wouldn't be. As far as I can gather, "depart" is the key word they have used more recently.

It's tough to research since it isn't in the bylaws or even the LSDBi database, since it is a mere temporary waiver of regular rules...but here's the best additional document I've seen. Q/A #1 refers to "depart" which seems hard to misunderstand unless one simply overthinks things.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/co...t/D1FOC_AnnualSigningLimitBlanketWaiverQA.pdf
"Departs" makes much more sense. That would give us 5 transfer spots if everyone is in good academic standing. That still doesn't give us 5 above the initial 25 allowed at this point though because of the 85 total scholarships allowed.

"Departs" makes much more sense. That would give us 5 transfer spots if everyone is in good academic standing. That still doesn't give us 5 above the initial 25 allowed at this point though because of the 85 total scholarships allowed.
Yeah, I imagine "the numbers will work themselves out" like usual. We could take guys now and we just have to get down to 85 by the beginning of Fall.

With all the "super" fr/so/jr/sr out there I can't even imagine being a program that started with 85. The NCAA really bungled things imo not allowing teams to go over 85 until the "supers" are gone.

This is also a theory as to why so many classes are really small this year. Some just don't have the counter space. Luckily all classes are relative to this year, but our #15 class would be a regular season's #19-25 class. Soo many undermanned classes, it's weird to see.

Honestly, I never understood the excitement over this kid. I don't think I've seen it work here when a guy enrolls with no true position. He wasn't a receiver. He didn't seem to be athletic enough to play DB. Wasn't physical enough to play LB.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
Honestly, I never understood the excitement over this kid. I don't think I've seen it work here when a guy enrolls with no true position. He wasn't a receiver. He didn't seem to be athletic enough to play DB. Wasn't physical enough to play LB.
I liked the fact that he quietly showed up to campus as a recruit on his own time, with no one around, unable to officially visit due to Covid, and made a commitment. Maybe it turned out he’s just a bit of social recluse and college was overwhelming.

I think it stemmed from him being one of the highest recruits to sign in the last class and we were so desperate for any type of hope after the Pruitt debacle that we believed this kid would be an All-American here.

At least, that's what I did.

VN Store

Back