NBA Draft deadline winners and losers: Kentucky, Louisville rejoice while Penny, Kansas lose big pieces

UT_VOLS13

Lab Rat
Loser: Tennessee coach Rick Barnes
We've all seen the last scene of the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," no? Will Smith in a room on his own, in a house with no furniture. Just a man and his thoughts (and a squealing Carlton.) That's how I imagine Rick Barnes feels right now as he takes stock of his roster (minus, you know, Carlton.) Not only did he lose Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield to the draft, two potential first round picks, but junior guard Jordan Bone announced he's following their lead, too. As Gary Parrish notes here, those three departures account for 48.8 points per game Barnes must now replace.

NBA Draft deadline winners and losers: Kentucky, Louisville rejoice while Penny, Kansas lose big pieces

I like the narrative that is developing for next year.

Yes, losing those guys is going to hurt and they will be difficult to replace.

However, I'm hoping it causes the team to develop and play with a chip on their shoulders...and if Barnes has proven anything over the last few years it is that perhaps his teams thrive when underestimated.

Reactions: Stoked and white65
I cannot understand how Memphis lost a piece that never showed up on campus.
He couldn't enter the transfer portal...because he didn't graduate from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
The Tigers are still stacked at guard...they'll be fine.

I didn't realize the tucker didn't end up going to Memphis. There was a good chance he could have been their best player next year even with Wisemam (or at the very least most complete at this stage). Considering they lost essentially everyone from last year except Lomax and Harris, they needed his experience.

I didn't realize the tucker didn't end up going to Memphis. There was a good chance he could have been their best player next year even with Wisemam (or at the very least most complete at this stage). Considering they lost essentially everyone from last year except Lomax and Harris, they needed his experience.

Tucker didn't graduate so he can't be a graduate transfer...that's how it goes sometimes.

thing is we don't just return Harris and Lomax...we also return Ryan Boyce and Lance Thomas (UAB and Louisville transfers that sat out) who practiced with the team all last season.

Lance Thomas, Norcross, Power Forward
Ryan Boyce, East, Shooting Guard

Reactions: UofMemphis
But they also didn't play. Thomas looks decent, but Boyce is at best depth this year. Still not a lot of experience.

while Thomas didn't get to play he got to practice with Kyvon Davenport, Mike Parks, and Isaiah Maurice all year while guys like Penny and Sam Mitchell coached him up...I'm really hoping to see him contribute leadership this upcoming season along with Tyler Harris and Alex Lomax...we need their experience.

I agree on Boyce though, he's a 3-4 year project player.

VN Store

Back