Navy Shuler coming home.

Glad we got him. With Hooker solidified as starter, it's unlikely we'd be able to land a top-tier transfer. Shuler adds some much needed depth. Also fun to have another Shuler on the roster!

I wonder if he's interested in a coaching career. He could've transferred somewhere like ETSU and had a chance to start, so coming to UT might suggest he wants to go the "Jim Bob Cooter route" of learning under the best and getting into coaching. No clue if that's his goal; just speculation on my part.

A 2 star legacy commit. His dad was one of the most talented QB’s we ever had.
Well, he was a 3 star, but the star level has nothing to do with the excitement. If not for Peyton, Heath Shuler would be known as one of the most popular QBs to ever play at TN. (The older fans remember how much excitement he brought to the program.) We will want Peyton's kids at TN no matter the talent level, and Navy falls into that same category if you were a fan who watched Heath play at TN. Doesn't mean you expect him to come in and take the program to the next level or even ever start.

Well, he was a 3 star, but the star level has nothing to do with the excitement. If not for Peyton, Heath Shuler would be known as one of the most popular QBs to ever play at TN. (The older fans remember how much excitement he brought to the program.) We will want Peyton's kids at TN no matter the talent level, and Navy falls into that same category if you were a fan who watched Heath play at TN. Doesn't mean you expect him to come in and take the program to the next level or even ever start.

Heath is still the 2nd best QB to ever wear Orange. I don’t think anyone has forgotten him.

Hello Mr. Wet Blanket. Nice to meet you. My gosh our fans suck.
Hey Rylee, yeah, JohnD is ridiculous for not seeing the "feel good" side of this story, but c'mon, don't group "our fans suck" into the entire fanbase. We have the best, most tolerant, most loyal fans in the nation, 2nd to none.

It’s a depth move and a feel good story. Nobody thinks he’s going to be his Dad.

Exactly...in today's game you're not going to be able to keep a gifted QB as a backup - they will transfer out to a starting job. This guy will probably not be in the running for the starting job but it will be nice if he hangs around as a backup for several seasons.

I had a autographed Heath shuler framed picture of him diving into the end zone against Louisville in 1993. I was a big fan of his as a kid even got a Redskin game jersey of his well that didn’t work out too well but Heath was a dynamic QB for us he should’ve stayed his senior year though. The 90’s were so good to us with great QBs we had Andy Kelley then Shuler then Manning and then Tee bringing home the national championship.

Daryl Dickey was a legacy QB who was not considered very talented. When Tony Robinson went down to injury in 1985, Dickey filled in capably to lead Tennessee the rest of the way to an SEC championship and Sugar Bowl win over #2 Miami. I wouldn’t discount the potential importance of this pickup.

Pleased to have him!

I can't remember if it was Shuler or Helton who hurdled for a first down on their first play from scrimmage.

VN Store

Back