National media attacking Vols for post game chomp

Andy Katz & Seth Davis both criticized the post game actions by Vol players. Of course, neither were there or knew what was being said to the players, or saw the way the game was “called” (very pro-Florida).

Players have to respect the fact that fans don’t heckle teams that are 3-12. They heckle good teams and good players. That said, if Florida had won and UF players had done the chomp, it would have been a celebration, not classless. I don’t understand why one team is classless and another is celebration. If Florida can’t deal with the chomp when they lose, don’t do it when they win.

Did they mention the FL player (think it was Jabar Gaffney?) grabbing his crotch in front of the cameras on national TV after a touchdown in Neyland? Or FL fans throwing cups of urine on opposing players and coaches as they left the field in FL? Probably not.

Andy Katz & Seth Davis both criticized the post game actions by Vol players. Of course, neither were there or knew what was being said to the players, or saw the way the game was “called” (very pro-Florida).

Players have to respect the fact that fans don’t heckle teams that are 3-12. They heckle good teams and good players. That said, if Florida had won and UF players had done the chomp, it would have been a celebration, not classless. I don’t understand why one team is classless and another is celebration. If Florida can’t deal with the chomp when they lose, don’t do it when they win.

Did they mention the FL player (think it was Jabar Gaffney?) grabbing his crotch in front of the cameras on national TV after a touchdown in Neyland? Or FL fans throwing cups of urine on opposing players and coaches as they left the field in FL? Probably not.

It’s a fair criticism

I don’t agree with them, but I find the criticism fair all the same.

I think most of us are rational enough to understand we’d be irate if they beat us on our home floor and were gator chomping our student section . But we will justify it for Grant and Admiral.

Admiral says their student section made unsavory comments. I believe him. Some think he should have taken the high road. Some think he should rub the win in their face. Fair both ways
We wouldn’t be irate for Florida doing the Gator chomp on our turf. We’ve seen it in Neyland many times. We are irate when we lose though! Luckily we’ve had better success against them in basketball. This is seriously no big deal and not one but worthy of mention by any media. To me a lot of kids these days need a little more competitive spirit and this is nothing more than that. You don’t want us doing that? Then beat us.

What was classless was that coach trying to check Grant with an elbow while he was chomping

Was kind of a misunderstanding. That was Denver Parler, not a coach but pretty much the same job as Tom Satkowiak has for us. I think.

Edit: Also found Grant's response.

Last edited:
Ah, ok. It looked like it was worst than it was, I guess. Seems like he was cool about it. THanks for the update

Was kind of a misunderstanding. That was Denver Parler, not a coach but pretty much the same job as Tom Satkowiak has for us. I think.

Yeah, I didn't know why people thought he was attacking Grant. It looked to me like he was trying to get to the score table. He bumped into him, but it looked accidental to me.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I don’t think they should have done it. Don’t need to give teams any extra motivation the next time you play. Having said that, it’s not a big deal. They’re college kids after all

Maybe the Gators haven't been disrespectful to us after a win in Ktown if mocking the other team's chant is the barometer. I mean, I don't remember hearing them sing Rocky Top but it wouldn't offend me.

This. UT doesn't have a "chomp" so there really is nothing to compare other than singing Rocky Top.

It’s a fair criticism

I think most of us are rational enough to understand we’d be irate if they beat us on our home floor and were gator chomping our student section . But we will justify it for Grant and Admiral.

Admiral says their student section made unsavory comments. I believe him. Some think he should have taken the high road. Some think he should rub the win in their face. Fair both ways

Me thinks you're missing the point. This isn't about the fans being irate. It's about the media being upset and their hypocrisy in doing so. Big difference. Yes, we fans would be upset if the roles were reversed. But then, frequently they do the chomp when they win on the road.

So it's okay for their players to use it as a taunt, but it's not okay for other teams to use it as a taunt?

I think you're missing the point and that's not what I'm saying.

The problem in this scenario is UT doesn't have a "chomp" like action our players do. But if they did, it would be the equivalent of an opponent doing UT's "action" to our fans.

I don't have a problem with it, either way. It was an intense atmosphere in their gym yesterday and our guys deserved to give it back to them a little.

Me thinks you're missing the point. This isn't about the fans being irate. It's about the media being upset and their hypocrisy in doing so. Big difference. Yes, we fans would be upset if the roles were reversed. But then, frequently they do the chomp when they win on the road.
tumblr_mihx98GKiF1qg0vi9o6_r1_250.gif

Exactly. When we’re taking fun out of sports, it’s a sad time. Plus we can’t get to a point where “only this one school can do this certain hand movement as a celebration.” I still remember thinking how ridiculous it was John Kelly was flagged for a gator chomp during the 2017 UF game but the whole UF team can do gators chomps? Double standard.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
Katz exact tweeet was “This is a potential title team
but there is no need for this. Just walk off with a road win. That alone sends a loud message.” He followed that later with “I know some @Vol_Hoops fans are fired up with a little critique but there have been zero flaws on this crew. Vols have two national player of the year candidates (Schofield and Williams) and arguably one of the top five choices for national coach of the year (Barnes).”

Davis simply tweeted the clip and said “Beware of karma”.

I’m not sure either falls in the category of “attacking
”.

Almost everyone in this thread bashing "the media" but one guy actually took the time to see what was said. I looked at the actual tweets and this is 100% accurate. Unless they said something else on a different platform there was nothing incendiary about these tweets.

Half the thread calling out the media as snowflakes, etc... doesn't bother to see if actually true or not. Such deliciousness, the irony.

This is why I dont post anymore. Everyone in such a rush to have the hottest take, facts be damned. For the record, I'm glad the guys had fun after the game. I'm not mad when they chomp us, we can chomp them back. Keep walking that walk.

It’s a fair criticism

Those 2 pieces of media trash would be silent while ESPN plastered that victory celebration all over Sport Center. When was the last time one of the media hypocrites attacked a UF FB or BB player for using the chomp? They do it to players and opposing fans regularly. Yet nary a - word from the fake outrage media.

I think you're missing the point and that's not what I'm saying.

The problem in this scenario is UT doesn't have a "chomp" like action our players do. But if they did, it would be the equivalent of an opponent doing UT's "action" to our fans.

I don't have a problem with it, either way. It was an intense atmosphere in their gym yesterday and our guys deserved to give it back to them a little.

I agree with you that it shouldn't be a big deal either way. A little taunt like that is nothing more than rival banter. If I saw a Florida player singing Rocky Top after beating Tennessee, I would be way more upset that we lost than I'd be upset at the taunt.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Exactly. When we’re taking fun out of sports, it’s a sad time. Plus we can’t get to a point where “only this one school can do this certain hand movement as a celebration.” I still remember thinking how ridiculous it was John Kelly was flagged for a gator chomp during the 2017 UF game but the whole UF team can do gators chomps? Double standard.

Have the Gator players ever done it at Neyland Stadium? Have they ever been flagged? We can all hold our breath waiting for the tally. Well die before it gets above 0.

VN Store

Back