Nashville/UNC Pipeline?

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
Pearl-Cohn’s Mason, Gupton in UNC pipeline

By JEFF LOCKRIDGE
Staff Writer

Move over, Brandan Wright.
The Midstate is sending two more tall and talented athletes to North Carolina.
Pearl-Cohn receivers Rashad Mason and Brian Gupton have committed to play football at Chapel Hill. They will sign at 9 a.m. Wednesday, national signing day, in the Pearl-Cohn library.
Mason is the state’s No. 2 prospect by Scout.com and is the No. 4 prospect by rivals.com. He chose the Tar Heels over Michigan, Ole Miss and Kentucky.
“When I went to visit them, I stayed two days and the rest of my visits I stayed one,” Mason said. “I got to know the coaches more than other places. They were down to earth with me, and that was a big part of my decision.”
North Carolina hired Butch Davis as its head coach in November.
Mason is 6-foot-6, 220 pounds. Gupton is 6-4, 190. The future college roommates made an official visit to North Carolina the weekend of Jan. 5.
It was the first of Mason’s four visits.
“(Gupton) was a big part of my decision, too. When you’ve been teammates throughout your high school career, why not go to college with them? You might as well.”
Mason called Wright a “childhood friend” and said the two grew up playing basketball and football together in the same Nashville neighborhood. The duo could wind up rubbing shoulders with Wright, a 6-9 Brentwood Academy graduate and one of the nation’s top basketball freshmen.
Another Pearl-Cohn standout, 6-3 tight end Jeremy Gordon, plans to play at North Carolina after attending a junior college.
Mason and Gordon were both involved in a 2005 car wreck that killed teammate Jonathan Patton. Mason suffered a fractured skull, bruised lungs and a chipped disc in his neck. Gordon escaped without injury.
After missing most of his junior season, Mason caught 26 passes for 610 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior. As a starting safety, he racked up 110 tackles and six interceptions.
Gupton caught 15 passes for 478 yards.
“It’s a real big commitment, especially for the kind of situation I’m in,” Gupton said. “I was just a little bit under the radar. I liked the coaching staff and tradition of the school. They will look at me at receiver and some other positions, probably cornerback.”
“Brian’s been saying we’re both going to North Carolina,” said Mason, who averages 10.5 points as starting center for the Pearl-Cohn basketball team. “I was like, I don’t know. But after they came for an in-home visit (last Thursday), I decided that was the place for me.”
Mason considered offers from Clemson, LSU and UCLA in the recruiting process. He scheduled and later canceled visits to each school.

More like Clemson, LSU and UCLA chose to go a different direction.

In the end his options were UNC, UK and Ole Miss

There's a reason that the only schools were UNC, UK, and Ole Miss...that's not the kind of talent I'd be looking at either.

UNC over Ole Miss, hmmmm, Coach O couldnt land this one

VN Store

Back