Napier waiting for the perfect storm

I have no idea what White's list looks like, but you have to have fallback plans during a search process. He needs to get the best guy that will come, and that COULD be more limited than we would like due to the NCAA uncertainty. You can't sell championships to players if you are not eligible to compete. I would bet he is not looking for a two step plan, but has to accept that may come into play depending on the reception he gets by his targets. A down the list hire or an interim may end up being the best ANYONE can do here right now. Judging White's competence based on speculation on candidates is a fool's errand. Go count how many of those are going on. Sad.
Word

I got a feeling Danny White is going to make an underwhelming hire at UT and will spend the next 3 year hoping and praying it works out. You need a HC that can adjust, be flexible, and able to use what he has. Since Elliot is light on experience I can see him trying to force his system on the players and it not working because we don't have the 5 star talent he's use to having.

Yeah, I agree underwhelming hires that didn't work out has been Danny White's M.O.

Reactions: TGVol
I know, it's another Saban guy. But who isn't anymore? My 1 and 2 would be Freeze and Kiffin. Beyond that, with the names we're seeing and probably have a real shot at... It's almost a toss up. Between Napier, Campbell, Fleck, Dykes, and Elliott. Which are all good candidates outside of Eliot. Id put Napier and Campbell at 3 a/b.

Here's a good read on Napier. Maybe it's Tennessee he's waiting on?

Why Billy Napier keeps passing up Power 5 jobs

I’m down with most of that your putting out.

However you think Dykes would be a good choice.......but Elliot would not be?

That one seems strange.

To me this statement is pretty telling, “He doesn’t want to take a job that already has immediate disadvantage built in before you play a game,” a person close to Napier told 247Sports".

He probably sees the UT job as having too many disadvantages which is understandable, right now. I would love to see Napier as the head coach at UT and I think the AD would give him what he wants to be successful. Would having everything you need or want be enough to get him out of Louisiana?

Or that was I'm reference to not having full control of the football program

I’m down with most of that your putting out.

However you think Dykes would be a good choice.......but Elliot would not be?

That one seems strange.
I personally wouldn't want Dykes, but Id put him over Elliott in this situation based on experience alone. I will edit that sentence to include Dykes along side of Elliott 😉

I personally wouldn't want Dykes, but Id put him over Elliott in this situation based on experience alone. I will edit that sentence to include Dykes along side of Elliott 😉

I know people don’t want a coordinator......just because of Pruitt and experience.

But Tennessee has hired head coaches who were “head coaches” before.....and they also didn’t work out.

It’s not “just” about “head coach”.......it’s about the “right” coach......that is hard to find.......but White has a good track record of doing it.

I know people don’t want a coordinator......just because of Pruitt and experience.

But Tennessee has hired head coaches who were “head coaches” before.....and they also didn’t work out.

It’s not “just” about “head coach”.......it’s about the “right” coach......that is hard to find.......but White has a good track record of doing it.

It's not so much the coordinator thing I'm against. There is a ton out there who will make great HCs.
Tony has only been coaching at the collegiate level since 06 and up until 2020 he was a position coach.

He's sexy because of Clemson ONLY. There is nothing that says hire this guy for HC

It's not so much the coordinator thing I'm against. There is a ton out there who will make great HCs.
Tony has only been coaching at the collegiate level since 06 and up until 2020 he was a position coach.

He's sexy because of Clemson ONLY. There is nothing that says hire this guy for HC

I understand Elliot had also been a position coach......but that was because Dabo had 2 guys. Both position and co-OC’s

However Elliot has been calling plays for Clemson since Chad Morris left in late 2014.

Elliot has been an OC in the truest form for more than 6 full seasons for Clemson.

Also by contrast Morris was only the OC and play caller for less than 3 seasons.....then became a head coach.

I think 3 extra years “may” have benefited Elliot.....but really who knows.

You can't predict one man's failures because of someone elses failures.

We will probably do it we seem to love taking chances on the unproven. I hoped CJP would work out he has lots of Championship rings as a DC but didn't translate to a HC. Whoever we get I'll get behind them I trust White more than the other AD's we had. Just think someone who has never been at least a G5 much preferred P5 HC is a gamble. Got my finger crossed in the meantime.

NO. I have been watching inexperienced coaches trying to beat other ream for the last 15 years and they have been very unsuccessful. While I are not sure we can hire a coach who will beat Saban in the next 2 years, I would like to see an experienced coach try it for a few years. That would eliminate one of the excuses for losing. More importantly, I believe Dr. White will hire the best coach available which will be something that has not happened in a long time.

How long have you lived in the US?

We will probably do it we seem to love taking chances on the unproven. I hoped CJP would work out he has lots of Championship rings as a DC but didn't translate to a HC. Whoever we get I'll get behind them I trust White more than the other AD's we had. Just think someone who has never been at least a G5 much preferred P5 HC is a gamble. Got my finger crossed in the meantime.
I’ve always felt a OC or DC taking an HC (in most cases) position needs to prove he can do it in lower level programs. And clearly that’s what usually happens. And even when he does prove it at lower levels there’s no guarantee he can do it at a Tennessee. I was looking at some of the coaches that left the AAC for larger conference jobs and there has not been much overwhelming success by them. Why? Probably several things. But I do prefer previous head coaching experience but Danny hasn’t call yet. I’m still waiting though.

I understand Elliot had also been a position coach......but that was because Dabo had 2 guys. Both position and co-OC’s

However Elliot has been calling plays for Clemson since Chad Morris left in late 2014.

Elliot has been an OC in the truest form for more than 6 full seasons for Clemson.

Also by contrast Morris was only the OC and play caller for less than 3 seasons.....then became a head coach.

I think 3 extra years “may” have benefited Elliot.....but really who knows.

Ok, I must be missing something on Elliot.

From what I see he was Co-OC thru 2019...and only became the main OC IN 2020. If that is true, how do you jump to HC after only 1 year of being a Coordinator (without split-duties)?

From what I see he was Co-OC thru 2019...and only became the main OC IN 2020. If that is true, how do you jump to HC after only 1 year of being a Coordinator (without split-duties)?

No doubt.

I’ve read a few articles which stated he took over play call duties after Morris left December 2014.

However he has been the Co-OC since 2015 and a position coach as well......and calling the offense plays.

He became the sole OC last year......but again with calling plays.....he was always the real OC.

Because we’re not hiring him to be OC.
Being a good player caller isn’t near the top of qualities or experience I’d care about for a HC.
You don’t have to look too far from Elliott to see a successful coach that wasn’t even a coordinator.

VN Store

Back