My thoughts on each player, what are yours?

PulaskiVolFan

This is just my point of view, everyone has one:

Fulkerson: I never thought he'd be the player he's become. His effort is still his best attribute. He's our most valuable player as we don't have anyone else that can play that position. He looks thin to me this year, I was hoping he'd be physically stronger this year.

Pons: He's got to be the trash man for the team. Offensive rebounds, enough offense to help down low and continue to being SEC Defensive Player of the Year!

Vescovi: Probably not a popular opinion but I feel Vescovi is 5th best talent wise amongst the guards. He earns time because of his exceptional shot and his basketball savvy. He has definitely improved his defense although he's still #5 of 5 amongst the guards, he's improved his ball handling, especially his right hand. He's much more active this year, especially at the little things. He's the slowest G we've got with very little explosiveness.

Keon: Most talented player on the floor most nights. He's already showing that he can be dominant on the defensive end. Watch him along the baselines on both ends, he dominates in that section of the floor.

JJJ: He's a poor man's Scottie Pippen and the best stat stuffer on the team. All-league defensively, great on the boards and unselfish to a fault. He's going to run the offense a bunch I feel.

Springer: I really like his game. This cat is physical and has great hands and good basketball instincts. He reminds me of guys like Dumars Wade and ex Vol great Fred Jenkins. Come tournament time his physical style is going to be big for us. He's pretty quick too.

Anosike: Good player, plays hard, helps us a bit down low but I don't see him being all that productive in conference play. 4-7 ppg and 3-5 reb per game wouldn't surprise me.

Bailey: Sweet shot, decent on the defensive end, competes hard. He struggles to get his own shot I feel. Good leader. He'll play a bunch early and give way to the FR come tournament time.

Big O: I'm a fan and think Barnes will develop him into a really good player, maybe even all-conference some day.

Fulkerson: I never thought he'd be the player he's become. His effort is still his best attribute. He's our most valuable player as we don't have anyone else that can play that position. He looks thin to me this year, I was hoping he'd be physically stronger this year.

Pons: He's got to be the trash man for the team. Offensive rebounds, enough offense to help down low and continue to being SEC Defensive Player of the Year!

Vescovi: Probably not a popular opinion but I feel Vescovi is 5th best talent wise amongst the guards. He earns time because of his exceptional shot and his basketball savvy. He has definitely improved his defense although he's still #5 of 5 amongst the guards, he's improved his ball handling, especially his right hand. He's much more active this year, especially at the little things. He's the slowest G we've got with very little explosiveness.

Keon: Most talented player on the floor most nights. He's already showing that he can be dominant on the defensive end. Watch him along the baselines on both ends, he dominates in that section of the floor.

JJJ: He's a poor man's Scottie Pippen and the best stat stuffer on the team. All-league defensively, great on the boards and unselfish to a fault. He's going to run the offense a bunch I feel.

Springer: I really like his game. This cat is physical and has great hands and good basketball instincts. He reminds me of guys like Dumars Wade and ex Vol great Fred Jenkins. Come tournament time his physical style is going to be big for us. He's pretty quick too.

Anosike: Good player, plays hard, helps us a bit down low but I don't see him being all that productive in conference play. 4-7 ppg and 3-5 reb per game wouldn't surprise me.

Bailey: Sweet shot, decent on the defensive end, competes hard. He struggles to get his own shot I feel. Good leader. He'll play a bunch early and give way to the FR come tournament time.

Big O: I'm a fan and think Barnes will develop him into a really good player, maybe even all-conference some day.
Not sure what you've seen from Nkamhoua to consider yourself a fan. I'm fine with the belief that Barnes can develop him, though I'd be totally shocked if he were ever All-SEC, but right now, he's shown no signs of even being a contributor.

John: Agreed

Pons: Agreed

Vescovi: I agree, in addition to the things mentioned often on this board (can’t score within the arch, reliant on his left hand), I think it would help his game immensely if he could speed up his release on those threes. It takes an eternity for him to get it up and makes it so he has to turn down a lot of opportunities that initially looked open

Keon: Agreed, very excited to watch him blossom this year and then become a great NBA talent (Grizzlies 🤞)

JJJ: I am a mutual fan of his, and equally complimentary of his D, don’t know that I agree about him running the team a bunch. Think that’s Springer’s responsibility more and more as the year goes on

Springer: Agreed, would also note he was much improved on D this game compared to the first

Anosike: His rebounding is a huge help, but he’d help the team more if he took fewer shots. Needs to learn to pass out of the post better

Bailey: I think he’s still going to be a big contributor all season, and I think he’s a better defender than you seem to. He shut down Colorado’s best player in the first game

ON: Like you I’m not as down on him as some, definitely don’t have All-SEC expectations in his career or anything though. If he can’t just be a solid 8/6 big at some point, I’ll be happy

Fulkerson: Agree that I didn’t think he could be as good as he is, especially offensively. There were times today when we were struggling that I wished he would of stepped up and demanded the ball. I think he will do that more so going forward though. Not sure if he sees himself as the leader of the team or not, but if he doesn’t I hope he embraces that role.

Pons: Beast on defensive, can really help save plays defensively. Good rebounder, doesn’t have to be a volume scorer this year.

Vescovi: not the best ball handler at point, but the offense flows decently when he’s there. Great shooter, impressed by how he came in last year and has done this well though.

Keon: you can just tell he has the It factor. He’s already an elite defender IMO. Mid range shot looks smooth and he’s showed an ability to get to the rim some as well. By mid season he’s gonna be real good, I expect this is the only year we have him.

Springer: maybe more offensively polished than Keon as a freshman and a solid defender as well. Not sure if he’s 1 and done yet but he has the tool. He has more of an ability to drive from the point guard position than Vescovi does.

JJJ: he has all the tools. He could probably play 1-4 positions. Thing he lacks some confidence maybe, if he ever puts it all together he’s going to be tough.

Anosike: bit disappointed so far but we are only 2 games in so it’s hard to judge. Lacks height down low, seems to be limited offensively. If he can be a good low post defender and eat some rebounds for us it would be good, but I don’t know if he will be a factor in conference play.

Bailey: think he’s definitely bought into defense more under Barnes. Good looking shot, if he has a night he gets hot he could really light it up.

Nkamhoua: seems like he lacks awareness, especially offensively. Could develop into a solid player. Just doesn’t do anything well enough right now IMO to garner many minutes. Need him this year to be a solid defender and rebounder for us.

ON is terrible. Maybe he can figure it out, but I'm not holding my breath. He has awful hands, no real feel for the game, not really a shot blocker. I really expected more from him, but I'm highly disappointed with his development.

Vescovi is the best guard until proven otherwise. Our best passer, our best shooter, can get to the rim.

Now, that's not to say that Keon or Jaden can't surpass him soon, but they've played like 30 minutes each in two games. Both have had some good and bad moments. I'm not even sure who else would be better, VJ is solid, Jo isn't really a guard, nor is he better than Santi. Has a nice all around game, but really needs to improve his 3 point shot and finishing ability. Also needs to cut down on turnovers, but they all do honestly.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland

ON could be all league someday if he picks the right church league.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
I'll attempt to grade each player, IMO, based solely on a very small sample (2 games), not future improvement, past performance, or preseason expectations.

Santiago Vescovi: B...Still not good enough with his off-hand, though he's improved. He has cleaned up the sloppy TOs a bit, it seems. Still doesn't look to score inside the 3-pt line, which reduces his effectiveness when he gets in the paint. Opponents know he is looking to pass which allows them to jump passing lanes.

Victor Bailey: C+...Has a nice looking shot when he gets set, solid defender, and decent ball-handler. Doesn't appear to be able to create his own shot, so he's pretty much a set shooter.

Josiah-Jordan James: C+...This score may be a little low and his mewfound aggression going to the basket almost bumps this up to a B, but his inability to finish those drives pulls down the grade. Still a jack of all trades, master of none, but he fills the box score each game. His shot is still a work in progress, and he needs to continue being aggressive. Defense is really solid and he can guard multiple positions.

Keon Johnson - B+...Still working on his role. It seems like this team needs him to be a leader, and he is adjusting to that. He doesn't have to be a vocal leader, but this team needs a guard/wing who wants to go get a bucket. He can lead by example. Kind of like Tobias Harris did. The skill is very evident and his defense is already high-level. Nice mid-range jumper. Outside shot and turnovers keep this from being an A. I expect both to improve as he settles in.

Yves Pons: B-...This may be a bit generous given his current shooting percentage, but he has improved his rebounding (thru two games, it may be am aberration) and still is affecting opponents' shots. He needs to clean up his shot (it looks flat), and get more aggressive around the basket. Continue the rebounding.

John Fulkerson: B...Hasn't been what some people hoped he'd be, yet, but still is doing a lot of the dirty work that doesn't flash on the screen. He's hitting the boards, drawing fouls, hitting his FTs, etc.

Jaden Springer: B...He's had some mental errors, not unusual for a freshman, but his scoring ability and ability to get to the line have flashed. He's hit a couple outside shots (considered an area for improvement), he defends well, and gets to the paint. Needs to improve on the TOs and work to play hard all the time on both ends.

EJ Anosike: C-...His adjustment has been rough. His size has been an issue. Shot isn't falling, he isn't rebounding at an elite level, and the defense has been rough (lots of fouls). He needs to slow down, focus on what he does well, and not force things. He can improve more than anyone, I think.

Olivier Nkamhoua: D...limited minutes and the defense has been decent in spots, but poor in others. Offense is still a disaster. He does nothing on the boards and that should be where he earns his stripes because we don't need him to score, right now. But two games in, he has 0 rebounds in 14 minutes.

Uros, Gaines, Walker, and Pember haven't played enough (or any) to accurately grade.

Springer may be the one and done guy, while Keon works on his offensive game. That's a good thing, imo. I thought Springer was more developed on the offensive side of the ball and so far, I'm right. I think Springer will be the alpha dog on this team with Fulk being the co-alpha. If that happens, great things for this team, imo. Plus, we get Keon and JJJ for another year and then we have our true PG, running the show, the Chef, Kennedy Chandler

Going forward, Fulkerson needs to be option 1A on offense (and Barnes needs to remind him of such) and Springer needs to be 1B (he is polished). Fulky has looked winded at times early on so wonder if conditioning is affecting his offense. Keon has the most ability of them all, but I think he can contribute in many ways. I like him off the bench too as he brings a lot of energy and plays with confidence. Pons just needs to play his game and he will be fine. Doesn’t look to have expanded his game at all to this point but may not need him too.

Bailey has a nice stroke but needs to play within offense to get shot off (basically a smaller Bowden). Vescovi is the general floor leader, and steady but I do also worry we don’t have a legit ball handler if teams pressure us full court. But he has been pretty clutch at the line when has had the chance though. James, can be very good and may be the glue on this team, but he needs to improve his offensive game and finish a lot better at the rim. I like it when he is on the court and really want to see him at the 4 at times....do it Barnes. Villanova won with small ball and if we want our best players on the court, this is it.

Nkamhoua...looks bigger but he better carve out a role soon and contribute or he will be sitting over there with Plavsic. Anoskie, is a horse and will contribute steadily the entire year, but probably isn’t as effective as I would hope. Just shows the disparity of competition. Double digit rebounder last year, but hasn’t even gotten a defensive rebound yet in two games (26 minutes), which isn’t a good sign, given that was a weakness of our team last year. Pember, Walker and Gaines may not get any minutes this year.

Talented bunch and really playing good defense, but probably doesn’t have the ceiling I thought they had drinking all the orange kool aid prior to season. Wish we would have had the chance to play Gonzaga to get a better measurement, but the way we are playing offensive currently, they probably would have punked us. No one else in the SEC has proven much to date in this young season. Glad we have basketball to look forward too, though. Football has been depressing.

Going forward, Fulkerson needs to be option 1A on offense (and Barnes needs to remind him of such) and Springer needs to be 1B (he is polished). Fulky has looked winded at times early on so wonder if conditioning is affecting his offense. Keon has the most ability of them all, but I think he can contribute in many ways. I like him off the bench too as he brings a lot of energy and plays with confidence. Pons just needs to play his game and he will be fine. Doesn’t look to have expanded his game at all to this point but may not need him too.

Bailey has a nice stroke but needs to play within offense to get shot off (basically a smaller Bowden). Vescovi is the general floor leader, and steady but I do also worry we don’t have a legit ball handler if teams pressure us full court. But he has been pretty clutch at the line when has had the chance though. James, can be very good and may be the glue on this team, but he needs to improve his offensive game and finish a lot better at the rim. I like it when he is on the court and really want to see him at the 4 at times....do it Barnes. Villanova won with small ball and if we want our best players on the court, this is it.

Nkamhoua...looks bigger but he better carve out a role soon and contribute or he will be sitting over there with Plavsic. Anoskie, is a horse and will contribute steadily the entire year, but probably isn’t as effective as I would hope. Just shows the disparity of competition. Double digit rebounder last year, but hasn’t even gotten a defensive rebound yet in two games (26 minutes), which isn’t a good sign, given that was a weakness of our team last year. Pember, Walker and Gaines may not get any minutes this year.

Talented bunch and really playing good defense, but probably doesn’t have the ceiling I thought they had drinking all the orange kool aid prior to season. Wish we would have had the chance to play Gonzaga to get a better measurement, but the way we are playing offensive currently, they probably would have punked us. No one else in the SEC has proven much to date in this young season. Glad we have basketball to look forward too, though. Football has been depressing.
Missouri looks good, and they’ll be our first conference game. Seemed like Mizzou usually plays better than expected against us too

Ftr, we've won 4 out of the last 5 vs Mizzou. Winning margins were 20, 12, 14, and last year 10.
Huh. Well I look stupid. For some reason I had it in my head they were usually a tough game. Guess I was wrong. I do think they upset us Cunzo’s first year when we’d go on to win the SEC

With you for the most part, except on ON. There isn't really anything that stands out to me about him. He showed again tonight that he hasn't improved his awareness of his teammates feeding him the ball, unless they are looking right at him and he's looking at them. Did this countless times last season, where someone would throw him the ball down low and he wouldn't be paying attention or wasn't quick enough to catch it...usually resulting in a turnover. Frustrates me watching him miss those. We have a number of passers who don't look at you when they pass and he just doesn't have that instinct to be expecting the ball. Unlike that of Pons or Fulkerson, who expect it to happen. Not good on offense, so the only way I see him getting minutes is if he plays well on defense. Really don't see him becoming an all-conference player in his time here.

Reactions: cardvolfan
My thoughts are that Springer and Keon have more talent than anyone on the team by a landslide. There should be no reason one of them is not on the floor at all times.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Only 2 games.. this team has three players that will be huge . They will make this team potentially Barnes best ............ Johnson, Springer, Bailey ( now performing at letter grades B to B-). Tennessee's depth will wear out a number of teams.... This Tennessee team will average 25 to 28 minutes playing time for the players that are in rotation. Result will be winning close games at the end... Stay tuned..

Reactions: i2amavol

Full had bulked up quite a bit and the preseason pics showed that. However, if he had Covid he could have lost weight. I had a coworker drop 30 pounds in less than two weeks. Fulk was getting muscled out of position on both ends of the floor.

Pons cleaned up some defensive breakdowns. I think he has to be a creator on offense.

Full had bulked up quite a bit and the preseason pics showed that. However, if he had Covid he could have lost weight. I had a coworker drop 30 pounds in less than two weeks. Fulk was getting muscled out of position on both ends of the floor.

Pons cleaned up some defensive breakdowns. I think he has to be a creator on offense.

You know, that could explain both Fulky and Pons results thus far. I haven't really kept up with who has been out of practice, etc. Hopefully, everyone who has been sick will get back into top form before years end.

I don't think Fulk is an establish and maintain position type of guy. He is built in such a way where his lower body is just not built to play that way. He's going to have to use his smarts, hustle, athleticism, and experience to excel. He did the last third of last year, and will again this year.

Fulkerson: As I just now posted, he may have gotten COVID, because I expected him to be bigger too. However, he may still be bigger and stronger than any time before. I did start to have my doubts that he would ever get the mojo back, when he started off slow last year, but I have never forgotten the strong start he had to his Freshman year. He showed what he could do then.
duh
Pons: A major piece () to what may be Tennessee's best defensive team ever.

Vescovi: I suppose it is all just how you judge talent. He is not the tallest or the fastest, but he has skills and instinct that very few have. He can shoot daggers into other teams in the last 5 minutes of games. He will be a vital part of any tournament run that we make, regardless of minutes.

Keon: (Copied) Most talented player on the floor most nights. He's already showing that he can be dominant on the defensive end. Watch him along the baselines on both ends, he dominates in that section of the floor.

JJJ: Agree on all points (stat stuffer). He, and recruit Jahmai Mashack, are the type of players that are vital cogs in championship teams.

Springer: Part of the Freshmen dynamic duo. It's going to be fun to watch.

Anosike: I think he may be a lot like Fulkerson. He may not have everything you are looking for in a player, but I think he will play hard, and he will find a way to be valuable for this team. You had to expect his skill set might not be sky high, coming from a lower level league.

Bailey: My biggest concern was whether he would play within the system, and I believe he has. Seems to want to jack it up without hesitation. As long as it's going in, I guess that's a good thing.

Big O: I see him as the basketball equivalent of Jarrett Guarantano. He has plenty of physical ability, but does not know how to use it in competition. Maybe it is simply due to lack of experience, and he will continue to get better, or maybe he just doesn't have it between the ears. Without knowing him personally, it is hard to judge. Hopefully, Barnes can get it out of him, but I have lot's more hope for Gaines and Pember than I do for him.

----------

This is a team that has so much potential. I think that is easy to see. I agree with someone who said that Barne's teams do sometimes wear down over the course of a season, but I think this team will not have that issue. They should continue to get better in all areas.

Although the defense has been obvious in the first two games, the offense should slowly get better as the season progresses. Being a longtime Tennessee basketball fan (some 50 years now), there have been lots of teams that could stay in the game, but either there wasn't enough bench strength, or there was no one who was that go-to guy who can get us a bucket when we needed it. While we may not have that All-American 20 point scorer on this team, I don't see many holes in this team. Maybe we could point to weakness in the 5 position, but in today's game, I'm not sure that is a glaring weakness. Overall, we have plenty of size to partially cover that up.

Look for defense and depth to carry the day, when push comes to shove. By the end of the season, I think this team can play with anyone, if they can gel as a team.

Fulkerson: As I just now posted, he may have gotten COVID, because I expected him to be bigger too. However, he may still be bigger and stronger than any time before. I did start to have my doubts that he would ever get the mojo back, when he started off slow last year, but I have never forgotten the strong start he had to his Freshman year. He showed what he could do then.
duh
Pons: A major piece () to what may be Tennessee's best defensive team ever.

Vescovi: I suppose it is all just how you judge talent. He is not the tallest or the fastest, but he has skills and instinct that very few have. He can shoot daggers into other teams in the last 5 minutes of games. He will be a vital part of any tournament run that we make, regardless of minutes.

Keon: (Copied) Most talented player on the floor most nights. He's already showing that he can be dominant on the defensive end. Watch him along the baselines on both ends, he dominates in that section of the floor.

JJJ: Agree on all points (stat stuffer). He, and recruit Jahmai Mashack, are the type of players that are vital cogs in championship teams.

Springer: Part of the Freshmen dynamic duo. It's going to be fun to watch.

Anosike: I think he may be a lot like Fulkerson. He may not have everything you are looking for in a player, but I think he will play hard, and he will find a way to be valuable for this team. You had to expect his skill set might not be sky high, coming from a lower level league.

Bailey: My biggest concern was whether he would play within the system, and I believe he has. Seems to want to jack it up without hesitation. As long as it's going in, I guess that's a good thing.

Big O: I see him as the basketball equivalent of Jarrett Guarantano. He has plenty of physical ability, but does not know how to use it in competition. Maybe it is simply due to lack of experience, and he will continue to get better, or maybe he just doesn't have it between the ears. Without knowing him personally, it is hard to judge. Hopefully, Barnes can get it out of him, but I have lot's more hope for Gaines and Pember than I do for him.

----------

This is a team that has so much potential. I think that is easy to see. I agree with someone who said that Barne's teams do sometimes wear down over the course of a season, but I think this team will not have that issue. They should continue to get better in all areas.

Although the defense has been obvious in the first two games, the offense should slowly get better as the season progresses. Being a longtime Tennessee basketball fan (some 50 years now), there have been lots of teams that could stay in the game, but either there wasn't enough bench strength, or there was no one who was that go-to guy who can get us a bucket when we needed it. While we may not have that All-American 20 point scorer on this team, I don't see many holes in this team. Maybe we could point to weakness in the 5 position, but in today's game, I'm not sure that is a glaring weakness. Overall, we have plenty of size to partially cover that up.

Look for defense and depth to carry the day, when push comes to shove. By the end of the season, I think this team can play with anyone, if they can gel as a team.

Great write up and all are dead on IMO. Lots of people underestimate Vescovi, but there is a reason that Keon said that he was the hardest to guard on the team.

You lost

You lost me on the last point.... LOL, NOPE

Ball handling at the point is this team’s weakness. Notice the trouble we had getting the ball inbounded the last few series against Cinci. Vesc is better, a step faster, but still weak with the off-hand. James still can’t create off the dribble-drive. Rebounding against strong post teams is the other issue. I’d say realistic ceiling is Elite-8 this year as we’re still missing a true PG and center.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Just one question: I realize that we have two new 5 star players, but is Corey Walker the most undiscussed 4 star player in the history of our program? I mean #68 ranked in the nation, and I hear almost no talk about him. I can understand that some players need a little development, but what gives?!

Just one question: I realize that we have two new 5 star players, but is Corey Walker the most undiscussed 4 star player in the history of our program? I mean #68 ranked in the nation, and I hear almost no talk about him. I can understand that some players need a little development, but what gives?!
I think right now, Walker's a 3, a small forward and we are just loaded at his position. If Walker can play some 4 and/or 5, his chance at playing time will increase, dramatically. That's just my opinion, so take it fwiw

VN Store

Back