My take

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Random thoughts:

Bama's running game and defense were very good. Tinsley's punt return was a big momentum boost at that time. Ainge again looked like a Freshman at times. Hindsight is 20/20 but you run the ball on 3rd and 2 from the 20(?). I thought Bama players played very hard but I was not impressed with Shula's performance. Turk McBride had a great night as did Mahelona. Our offensive line is not "nasty" enough. What was the deal with Colquitt? Why did we see Jabari Davis? We are lucky to have Omar Gaither.

I also thought it was interesting that Bama would have gottent the ball back in the end if they wouldn't have been offsides on second down. Assuming that penalty never happened, would Fulmer have taken the safety over punting from his own endzone?

This was, indeed a hard fought game. E did look like a freshman, but he made plays when it counted. You can't expect him to be on the same level as Rodgers, White, Leinart or Orton for every minute of every game. He's still in the process of getting his feet wet, but I think that UT can expect some very big things out of him over the next four years, and 3 after that from Crompton.

Back to the game... Our offense was definitley not at the top of it's game, our running was decent but could have been a lot more consistent than it was, and our passing was generally pretty ******. Lots of pressure from the Bama defense, though, so I suppose given that it was alright.

Another thing to think about is, how would they have done given they had Brodie Croyle? Their qb did pretty badly on his own, I noticed.

Replies to random thoughts and some of my own:

I think the reason you saw Jabari Davis in there is that Houston and Riggs regressed a little bit into their old ways.

Other than the pick on the goal line, it's tough to be down on Ainge. It was pretty obvious that the coaches decided play it close to the vest against a very good defense.

Colquitt is definitely in some sort of slump, but he has enough talent that he didn't really hurt us that much - still averaged 40 yds.

For the 2nd game in a row, the defense stood up in the 4th quarter - One of the hardest hitting games I've seen our defense play in a long time. Allen, Burnett and Heffney were really laying the wood out there.

True. I don't think anybody would have predicted our defense playing like this in the beginning of the season.

Damn Milo,I was waitin for the Bammers to come in and say that remark about Brodie and Ray,and what if they would have been in the game.

Well, even in spite of their being bammers, it is something interesting to think about. I don't think they would have one anyways. Our secondary were on their toes, but like I said, could have been a very different story.

But, in the end, a win is a win.

Originally posted by GAVol@Oct 23, 2004 10:21 PM
For the 2nd game in a row, the defense stood up in the 4th quarter - One of the hardest hitting games I've seen our defense play in a long time. Allen, Burnett and Heffney were really laying the wood out there.

First time all season that I remember particular hits. There was one play when we laid out both the QB and receiver with punishing blows. You could hear a gasp in the crowd until both got up. Defense is definitely maturing week-by-week.

Now if the passing offense can do the same and start making a .600 completion rate, then we will be in the effing money.

All in all, I think it played out like one of those classic UT vs Bama games, except that we came out on top this time.Great defensive performance.

Fact 1: UT after Ainge's interception turned the game over to the defense to win or lose.
Fact 2: Had Bama been at full strength the game plan would have been different.

These facts came straight from the horse's mouth.

I heard CPF say that too. It makes sense - why open up the offense and invite mistakes. The goal is to win; not run up impressive stats.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Oct 24, 2004 10:50 AM
Fact 1: UT after Ainge's interception turned the game over to the defense to win or lose.
Fact 2: Had Bama been at full strength the game plan would have been different.

These facts came straight from the horse's mouth.

No question that when we had the ball with 6 minutes or so left that Fulmer was not going to give them the game. He was going to run three times and punt and make Bama's offense win the game.

Checking in with the view from bham.

First, it was a great game (a little too close though).

Second, I've heard the crap about Brodie and Hudson and I think its :bs:

There are so many variables both controlled by coaches and players and some that are more random. Sure, Brodie might have hit some of those passes but would those passes even have been there? Would Bama ever have put as much effort into a run game? Would UT play the same defense? The same offense? Even if it was all the same to the end, would we have run 3x twice knowing their offense might be more potent with Croyle?

What if we had Simon? What if Mahelona was healthier? What if our O-line wasn't so banged up? What if.....

It is such a non-provable argument that it is ridiculous.

It's obvious to many in Bama that if Brodie was healthy they would go 11-0 and win their 314th NC! My advice to LSU, Auburn and possibly MSU is to be prepared for the mythical loss you will have to the Brodie-led Tide!

The tone down here is that Bama should have won, just ran out of time, dominated, UT got some lucky breaks, they gave us points, blah blah blah. I would imagine that if you look at total offensive and points (especially points) for the year that these two teams were pretty even. Accordingly, our defense played as good (statistically - secondary was shaky) as the 3rd best D in the country. I'm not taking anything away from Bama but to hear it here, they gave it all and UT just did what it had to.

Sorry for the rant but I hear this crap everyday. :banghead: More of the Whaaa-labama mantra.

Congrats to the Vols. Hard fought victory against a good team. Let's hope our offense gets clicking.

I can only think of two scenarios that put Davis in that game. First is to go with a back who is more physical and could maybe run through some of the bama tacklers (not) and the second would be for pass blocking.

Bama has a good defense and run game. And they have a QB that won't do things to get them beat, but he doesn't have the talent to win the game for them.

Well here are a couple of my takes. After seeing it live yesterday, and coming home to Tuscaloosa and watching it again today I wanna throw these at cha for discussion.

#1 Why is Gerald Riggs doing the two step when he takes the handoff? I think that is part of the reason for the poor running results. I think that is part of the reason we did see Houston and Davis. Ced had some flashes there because he hit the holes. Maybe they thought Davis could hit the holes quicker? They weren't there long. The tide D was filling them up by the time Gerald did his dance.

#2 What is going on with Colquit? He was a threating WEAPON last year. All year he has been lackluster at best. Was a couple of times yestersay we could have used one of his 70+ boomers.

#3 Too many yards gained after initial contact. Killed us in auburn game as well. Darby was not a bruiser, was a good runner yesterday, don't wanna take away from him, but geesh. We have to improve our tackling up front.

#4 What is the deal with Schafer? I was one of his big supporters early on. Have heard rumors of less than impressive practice attitude. But when they showed him on the sidelines, helmet off, arms crossed, with them dad gum big earrings shining, i got a little miffed. Has he already lost the desire to play?? I don't think he should be wearing earings on the playing field, sideline or not. Deion Sanders didn't even pull that crap.

Thanks for letting me vent. Plan on bringing up a couple of the same questions to Coach Phil tomorrow night on Vol Calls. Will be interesting.

I agree, out tacking is atrocious. Has been for quite a while now. It has definitely hurt us bad in many games, and we need to work on solving that problem. :thumbsup:

I agree tackling is a problem!

About Schaeffer he has been wearing his earrings all year...I just hate that we have these 2 great QB's and that only one of them can play!

Heffney and Gaither are freakin awsome! They have both stepped it up big time for the team!

Colquitt needs to correct something. Try kicking balls into a net...i guess. We need need you bud!

Ainge is our stallion, everyone get over Schaeffer as our QB! Schaeffer's earrings sure are pretty. :D

Our D has man'd up big time, keep it up!

ALLEN AND BURNETT FOR PRESIDENT!

:twocents:

VN Store

Back