My opinion on '22 recruits

Just curious 22 thru 24 classes which Tn kids do you think can physically match up vs S Carolina, Kentucky, Ole Miss etc. seriously I am trying to educate myself. These teams are so physical.

Cori Allen (23) and Jaloni Cambridge (24) are must-gets. Jada Harrison (23) would be a nice pickup too...

I don't know as much about recruiting aspect in the basketball game in regards to rankings as I do in softball but the first comment stands out as an issue. Rankings are subjective and for the most part meaningless if you can't coach them up once they hit campus. Tennessee mens basketball under Barnes rebounded back to the top with guys like Admiral 3*, the next year all 3*'s in Grant Williams, Fulkerson, Bowden and Bone (Bone ranked 146). A great coaching staff can evaluate talent, needs regardless of recruiting rankings. Too many believe recruiting services are exact science.

And yet Barnes is not recruiting three stars any more for his main rotation players. Why is that?

I don't know as much about recruiting aspect in the basketball game in regards to rankings as I do in softball but the first comment stands out as an issue. Rankings are subjective and for the most part meaningless if you can't coach them up once they hit campus. Tennessee mens basketball under Barnes rebounded back to the top with guys like Admiral 3*, the next year all 3*'s in Grant Williams, Fulkerson, Bowden and Bone (Bone ranked 146). A great coaching staff can evaluate talent, needs regardless of recruiting rankings. Too many believe recruiting services are exact science.
I appreciate your honesty. Unless your home state is Cali or Texas, you are going to need to recruit nationally to win consistently in women's college basketball. In 22 you have New Jersey and you want players from Ohio and SC. In 2023 you want to be getting recruits from Cal, Indiana and Mississippi. That is going to be less important in the future as we are seeing more and more girls putting in the developmental work at earlier and earlier ages. The talent arc is going to get higher and flatter as we are getting more players who are very high quality. As the talent quantity grows your comments will be more appropriate. I will give you that in three years it becomes very important to get Tennessee girls to stay home. It remains to see if that is going to be just a spike or a trend.

Reactions: Majors
I mean obviously you can't take every instate kid that wants to be a lady vol and play at TN, I think what most are suggesting is if you have a top kid ranked maybe or talent wise or whatever maybe they should give the a chance I mean its not like your just falling off the radar by doing so if that kid has rhe skill and talent. Now as far as how many kids from TN can play in the SEC bc its physical 22-24 that can be a tricky question. How many of you think 24 jaloni Cambridge can play at the SEC level at 5'5 115 lbs, major talent problaly best PG in state or nationally can she match up physically probably not but that is where the coach has to come into play right? So to just base it off can a kid play thru the physical part is foolish. Look what the smallest of guards have done to TN in the past, they put a butt whippn on them. If a kid can play they can play but alot the time its are they in the right situation, right coaching style, right environment to thrive.
24 Jaloni Cambridge 5'5 115lbs is a top PG state and nationally
24 Madi hawk 5'10 150lbs is the top SG in the state in 24 class and is ranked nationally, she can also play PG. I would love to see these 2 together
But if both go else where which I am predicting it will be a shame.
Jmo

So how big are Cambridge and Hawk going to be in 3 years/ Maybe 5-8 or 5-9 and 5-1 or 6-0. Kids have a habit of growing.

...Coach, I know this false premise hits home to you because you are actively involved with a 2024 and have almost promised to deliver her to UT.

Not my dream,,,hers. This kid has bled orange her whole young life,,so of course I am going to try to help her make her dream come true.

It's what I do.
If her dream-team was GA,,,I'd work just as hard to make that happen.

Reactions: NeedOrange
Kids who grow up supporting and loving the Lady Vols will still do so even if these kids themselves are playing at Tusculum or Carson Newman or even Tech or Chattanooga. P5 basketball is a different animal it’s ok if not all players can compete at that level. I would rather play at the D2 level than ride the pine at a D1.

Reactions: mcannon1
Kids who grow up supporting and loving the Lady Vols will still do so even if these kids themselves are playing at Tusculum or Carson Newman or even Tech or Chattanooga. P5 basketball is a different animal it’s ok if not all players can compete at that level. I would rather play at the D2 level than ride the pine at a D1.

95% of those growing up supporting and loving the Lady Vols yes, you have a point. Tennessee needs to identify the 5%. I also agree with your last point and too many kids don't take that into consideration.

Reactions: PG1
I appreciate your honesty. Unless your home state is Cali or Texas, you are going to need to recruit nationally to win consistently in women's college basketball. In 22 you have New Jersey and you want players from Ohio and SC. In 2023 you want to be getting recruits from Cal, Indiana and Mississippi. That is going to be less important in the future as we are seeing more and more girls putting in the developmental work at earlier and earlier ages. The talent arc is going to get higher and flatter as we are getting more players who are very high quality. As the talent quantity grows your comments will be more appropriate. I will give you that in three years it becomes very important to get Tennessee girls to stay home. It remains to see if that is going to be just a spike or a trend.
Recruiting is always it seems a spike or trend in TN but headed in the right direction for a yearly event. The last part is true in the current softball circuit now when you see kids headed to Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Texas AM, LSU just the last 3 years.

Last edited:

I'd rather contribute to and be part of a champion

I mean obviously you can't take every instate kid that wants to be a lady vol and play at TN, I think what most are suggesting is if you have a top kid ranked maybe or talent wise or whatever maybe they should give the a chance I mean its not like your just falling off the radar by doing so if that kid has rhe skill and talent. Now as far as how many kids from TN can play in the SEC bc its physical 22-24 that can be a tricky question. How many of you think 24 jaloni Cambridge can play at the SEC level at 5'5 115 lbs, major talent problaly best PG in state or nationally can she match up physically probably not but that is where the coach has to come into play right? So to just base it off can a kid play thru the physical part is foolish. Look what the smallest of guards have done to TN in the past, they put a butt whippn on them. If a kid can play they can play but alot the time its are they in the right situation, right coaching style, right environment to thrive.
24 Jaloni Cambridge 5'5 115lbs is a top PG state and nationally
24 Madi hawk 5'10 150lbs is the top SG in the state in 24 class and is ranked nationally, she can also play PG. I would love to see these 2 together
But if both go else where which I am predicting it will be a shame.
Jmo
Kellie has said publicly that they won’t recruit kids they don’t think can compete at the level they need. I think this is wise.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
yes what kind of question is that lol?

It's to bring home the discussion that you have to recognize talent over rankings. Jolly based on her accolades coming out of HS was not a Parade All-American or even Tennessee Miss Basketball during her time. Although she won numerous awards (I assume All State, District etc.) she didn't have the big ones during that era that many put too much stock in. Believe Pat did the right thing by noticing that and bringing her in.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I agree but your analysis does not go far enough. We are beyond Holly, no matter how one wants to characterize her tenure, which ended some time ago. The LVs program is in more than capable and competent hands. Simply put, the LVs program is under new management. Time to move on. Continued bashing of Holly has not won a single game to date and will not win any games going forward. I believe looking forward benefits this program way more than beating the dead horse of bashing the former head coach. Old news is old news. The future is bright for this program and the current coach, her staff, and great roster of student-athletes will turn heads this upcoming season. GBO.

You are preaching to the choir, My post was about not continuing to bash Holly as she is a VFL and should not be treated less. The way we continually bash Holly does not set well with me as she is gone and the culture of Tennessee is that we respect those who are VFL. I do not know what you got from my post but this should clear that up for you.

Reactions: LadyOrange
It's to bring home the discussion that you have to recognize talent over rankings. Jolly based on her accolades coming out of HS was not a Parade All-American or even Tennessee Miss Basketball during her time. Although she won numerous awards (I assume All State, District etc.) she didn't have the big ones during that era that many put too much stock in. Believe Pat did the right thing by noticing that and bringing her in.

Wait just a minute…Jolly was a 4th Team Parade All-American her senior year at Sparta White Co. HS.

(And BTW, Chamique was not Parade’s POY that year either. Stephanie White received that honor.)

VN Store

Back