My Lady Vols Staff

That's conjecture. It didn't sell at NC State, which is a quality program. Wes Moore has done a much better job there than she did. This would be taking a risk that the University of Tennessee women's basketball program shouldn't have to take. Tennessee has the resources (tradition, fan support, facilities, budget and high profile) to hire a coach who has proven themselves in a major conference (SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12, Big 12, Big East). Kellie Jolly Harper has not.
I agree. I like her but not for this job.

Reactions: tbwhhs
I'll take Kara Lawson and call it a HUGE get. I know she has not coached before but the lady certainly knows the game and has the fire and credibility to back it up.

Kara Lawson
Current job: TV analyst

Lawson has no college coaching experience, but she's long been a name on Lady Vols fans' radar, thanks to her continued involvement in the sport and UT.

Lawson was a standout guard under legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, helping the Lady Vols make a pair of Final Four appearances. She played 13 seasons in the WNBA and won an Olympic gold medal with the U.S. in 2008. She began her broadcasting career while her playing career was active. She currently a broadcasts games for ESPN and is the color analyst for the Washington Wizards.

Lawson was appointed to UT's Board of Trustees in 2018, and she is one of three members on UT's special committee on athletics.

She is my 1st phone call. After that maybe Walz or Harper. 2nd fiddle to Kara IMHO. Just something about her that I feel she would be the next Pat Summit. Pat's 1st job was at UT! Just saying!

:)
I made a post the other day saying much the same thing. Look it up, I think you would like it.

Candace has big name power and bleed orange....She would be great at recruiting! Lister is a upcoming Asst at UConn, heard lots of good things about her online. I do have a bit of a personal connection with Kortney so that might be some bias but she does have one year as a grad assistant.
I like Kortney and Lister a lot. I just think they need a little more seasoning. I don't know if CP3 would make a good coach or not. She probably has no urge to do it anyway.

Serious question. When Saban started at Bama was his main sales pitch (a) You would get to play for Bama or (b) You would get to play for me? I would vote about 80% for (b). And because I don't think the Lady Vols brand, devoid of Pat Summit's presencet, has much cache any more, only a super-significant home-run name would ever bring in the recruits needed to have significant success. Finally, I don't think Wald fits that build.

Who is this Wald you speak of?

I'll take Kara Lawson and call it a HUGE get. I know she has not coached before but the lady certainly knows the game and has the fire and credibility to back it up.

Kara Lawson
Current job: TV analyst

Lawson has no college coaching experience, but she's long been a name on Lady Vols fans' radar, thanks to her continued involvement in the sport and UT.

Lawson was a standout guard under legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, helping the Lady Vols make a pair of Final Four appearances. She played 13 seasons in the WNBA and won an Olympic gold medal with the U.S. in 2008. She began her broadcasting career while her playing career was active. She currently a broadcasts games for ESPN and is the color analyst for the Washington Wizards.

Lawson was appointed to UT's Board of Trustees in 2018, and she is one of three members on UT's special committee on athletics.

She is my 1st phone call. After that maybe Walz or Harper. 2nd fiddle to Kara IMHO. Just something about her that I feel she would be the next Pat Summit. Pat's 1st job was at UT! Just saying!

:)
Very popular but we need a PROVEN coach, not wishful thinking. Coaching, playing, and broadcasting entirely different.

My staff picks:

HC: Auriemma
Offense: McGraw
Defense: Mulkey
Player Development: Vanderveer
Recruiting: Staley
PR: Shaeffer
Bag Man: Walz

Back up the Brinks truck, Phil.

Reactions: k-town_king
My sources tell me that Gruden will be the next LV coach because he has a super bowl ring.

Why would you take a chance on someone with no prior coaching experience when you are a program as attractive as Tennessee women's basketball? And can someone explain this need so many fans have to hire someone with ties to Tennessee? It makes no sense to me.
I think Tennesseeduke laid out his rationale well in defense of Kara Lawson. Toughness, grit, actual playing experience at the highest level and instant name recognition make KL’s resume a strong one. She might not be interested in the job, but, if so, she should get an interview at the very least. Kara could be from Slippery Rock as far as I’m concerned - no offense to Slippery Rock.

Why would you take a chance on someone with no prior coaching experience when you are a program as attractive as Tennessee women's basketball? And can someone explain this need so many fans have to hire someone with ties to Tennessee? It makes no sense to me.

Like a dog returning to his own vomit. They're obsessed with recapturing the PHS magic and insist on inbreeding. Find a LV legend with the name, sprinkle in some "fire" and mix thoroughly. UT will be running wild over WCB in no time at all. Yep. The fact that Warlick fit that description is simply an outlier.

Reactions: bullet20
Oh, well, hell....throw the Brinks truck at her then.....its a guaranteed home-run hire, book it! ;)

It would take a Brinks truck type offer to get either her or Parker into coaching this program. They have nice gigs on TV. Hard to imagine either giving that lifestyle up for the chance to try and resurrect this program. Yeah...deal with recruiting and attitudes, parents, staff assembly, media, scrutiny of performance, much longer work days, much higher stress, etc. Seems like a sweetheart deal to me.

Steve Kerr didn't have to recruit. There are examples you can point to where a former player took over as a college head coach without any prior coaching experience at any level and went on to a successful career but it's still taking a chance that Tennessee shouldn't have to take right now.
Steve Kerr's knowledge of the game allows him to be a great coach, better than others who have been coaching for years. In college, the name of the university and the assistant coaches recruit the players. I will say that Kara Lawson's name will bring in high-school recruits.

VN Store

Back