My ignorance, school me ... but transfers

Thanks 82, good stuff! Have to admit, I wasn’t clear on it either. So, what about the blue, grey, red and fuqua shirts... 😁. How do they fit in? I think the key is to bring in twenty 4*
preferred walk-ons each year...

I think the shirts go like this:

- We all know what red shirts are. Guys who don't play more than 4 games in the season, they get another year of eligibility.
- Green shirts are the guys who graduate from HS early, get to college in the spring, and count toward the EARLIER recruiting class. (it's a little confusing, because actual green shirts are ALSO used to designate non-contact players during practices).
- Grey shirts are guys who have to pay their own way to the first (fall) semester of school, but are "preferred walk-ons" who know they'll get a scholarship the following spring, with the NEXT recruiting class (so they don't count on the current class). They don't get to play that first fall.
- Blue shirts are kind of like grey shirts, except they get to play that first fall. I think the way it works is, they're given a scholarship, but not until after the fall semester starts, because after that date, they can count for the following year's recruiting class.

Something like that. I'm not exactly sure where the dividing line is between the grey shirts and blue shirts, but I know the former don't get to play that first fall, while the latter do.

I think the shirts go like this:

- We all know what red shirts are. Guys who don't play more than 4 games in the season, they get another year of eligibility.
- Green shirts are the guys who graduate from HS early, get to college in the spring, and count toward the EARLIER recruiting class.
- Grey shirts are guys who have to pay their own way to the first (fall) semester of school, but are "preferred walk-ons" who know they'll get a scholarship the following spring, with the NEXT recruiting class (so they don't count on the current class). They don't get to play that first fall.
- Blue shirts are kind of like grey shirts, except they get to play that first fall. I think the way it works is, they're given a scholarship, but not until after the fall semester starts, because after that date, they can count for the following year's recruiting class.

Something like that. I'm not exactly sure where the dividing line is between the grey shirts and blue shirts, but I know the former don't get to play that first fall, while the latter do.

Well done. TY 👍🏼

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
It's pretty simple, really.

The 85 scholarship limit is a hard cap. Within that limit, the count goes up and down as players arrive and are awarded scholarships, or depart and free them up.

The 25 per year limit is a one-way counter. That number never goes back down. Once a person is signed and awarded a scholarship for a particular year, that one is used up forever. When the year gets to 25, no more can be added. Even if all 25 of those players leave the school, the 25 are still used up.

The complexity of it all is in the details of the latter rule, specifically how you define a player's arrival and where you can count him. For instance, if a fellow graduates high school early and enrolls for the university's spring semester, you have the choice of signing him for the year prior (if you haven't used all 25 already), or group him with the new class, most of whom typically will arrive in the summer just before fall camp. You can even get creative, hold off on giving a fellow a scholarship (make him pay his own way for the fall semester), and count him in the next year's class. This is where blue and grey shirt scholarships come in. You can do the same kind of thing with transfers, including graduate transfers: manipulate their arrival dates to affect which class you count them against.

But still, at the base it's simple. 25/year on a counter, and 85 total in the program at any time.

I read some schools are looking at more than 25 earlier today including maybe Alabama. How does that happen or did I read incorrect info.

I read some schools are looking at more than 25 earlier today including maybe Alabama. How does that happen or did I read incorrect info.

Some schools will commit to more than 25, Saban is a master at this. See blue and gray shirts explanation above how Bama sometimes handles their overflow, also some schools notoriously before signing day withdraw offers as well. It's a dirty business sometimes how schools get to that 25/85.

Some schools will commit to more than 25, Saban is a master at this. See blue and gray shirts explanation above how Bama sometimes handles their overflow, also some schools notoriously before signing day withdraw offers as well. It's a dirty business sometimes how schools get to that 25/85.
If Saban can manipulate the numbers then hopefully Pruitt has learned to do the same.

It's pretty simple, really.

The 85 scholarship limit is a hard cap. Within that limit, the count goes up and down as players arrive and are awarded scholarships, or depart and free them up.

The 25 per year limit is a one-way counter. That number never goes back down. Once a person is signed and awarded a scholarship for a particular year, that one is used up forever. When the year gets to 25, no more can be added. Even if all 25 of those players leave the school, the 25 are still used up.

The complexity of it all is in the details of the latter rule, specifically how you define a player's arrival and where you can count him. For instance, if a fellow graduates high school early and enrolls for the university's spring semester, you have the choice of signing him for the year prior (if you haven't used all 25 already), or group him with the new class, most of whom typically will arrive in the summer just before fall camp. You can even get creative, hold off on giving a fellow a scholarship (make him pay his own way for the fall semester), and count him in the next year's class. This is where blue and grey shirt scholarships come in. You can do the same kind of thing with transfers, including graduate transfers: manipulate their arrival dates to affect which class you count them against.

But still, at the base it's simple. 25/year on a counter, and 85 total in the program at any time.

what.png

I really wish the staff had went all-in to try and get Kelly Bryant.

We need a QB than can extend drives.
We have WRs you can throw the ball up to.

But we need some "extra" plays like Dobbs use to give us

Reactions: sechamp2012

VN Store

Back