My (belated) Rocky Top scrimmage report

ClockworkOrange

Electric Sheep
I'm really encouraged by what I saw.

Olivier, the frosh from Finland, is really super athletic and smooth. Built like a rock and can really leap and slash. I didn't realize he was so quick. I read somewhere that he was a 6'4" PG not too long ago, and then shot up 4 inches, so he can handle the ball too. Maybe most surprising is he is really skilled down low -- has a great "old man" game. On one play he curled across the lane with Plavsic on his hip and dropped in a baby hook overt the top like Plavsic wasn't even there. He is a really smooth player -- already looks like a vet.

As for Plavsic, he has a good outside touch and can move very well for somebody that size. Also fairly stout. I'm sure he's working hard to get more physical down low -- he's not really a hard-nosed banger yet, at least in the 20 minutes I saw. Probably from growing up with the European finesse style. Though he looks fairly strong on the boards. Don't think he will be the presence on D that Alexander was. I doubt he can get off the floor as quick as Kyle, but he will probably be serviceable and plays smart position ball.

Lamonte and Bowden both looked pretty much like you'd expect, though I don't think Lamonte gets up for scrimmages much. He missed most of his 3 pointers, but did a lot of drives and up and under stuff around the rim.

Pember looks like he's 6'10", but didn't show out much. I've heard he's been hurt a lot. He can move well for his size.

I think Kent will be a contributor -- he's beefed up some and hustles on D. Seems to know where to be on both offense and D and gets there in a hurry. Has a good-looking 3 point shot.

Fulky looked bulkier, and he didn't seem so rushed on offense, which showed up in his better control around the bucket. Actually worked to post people up and showed he can hit some mid-range jumpers. Even took one 3 that I remember, but missed it.

I like the transfer from Oregon, too, Bailey. He can't play this year, but he's athletic and looks to be a big strong guard, that kind we seemed to lack so often in the past when playing tough teams with strong guards. Good shooter too.

Josiah James didn't play, but he sure looks the part. Built like a senior already, just like ORN.

Gaines apparently played, but must've been few minutes as I didn't notice him. Looked good in warmups -- a skinny gym rat.

And maybe the biggest surprise was Pons. He was all over the floor. Hit 2 threes, made several steals and a dunk, actually slashed to the bucket without losing the ball on at least one occasion. He even posted somebody up -- I forget who, maybe Fulky, and did a smooth up and under to score. He looks to be pretty improved. An observer who knew nothing about the team might have picked him as the MVP of the scrimmage. Stat stuffer, at least last Friday night.

Everybody hustled and played reasonably tight D for a scrimmage. I'm probably forgetting someone, but I think we are going to be fine for getting back to the tournament, maybe even if Plavsic can't play. These guys are ALL long and have lots of athleticism.

Last edited:
I've said it multiple times. There really isn't a bad ball handler on the roster. Pons and Fulk have been a little inconsistent, but Fulk is probably coming around now that it's been almost 3 years since his elbow and wrist injuries. Pons might have been more lacking of confidence than skill.

great report! If James is close to advertised, and Oliver becomes pleasant surprise down low w/ Plavsic, we'll have some unanticipated depth down low, and the James/Turner/Bowden combo could be pretty lethal. I think Jalen Johnson could be the difference...6th man type guy who really contributes, like Turner a couple years ago.

From Utsports site:

• Nkamhoua competed for Finland (as a 6-4 point guard) in 2016 FIBA U16 European Championships divisional play. He is a true freshman this season.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

Olivier, the frosh from Finland, is really super athletic and smooth. Built like a rock and can really leap and slash. I didn't realize he was so quick. I read somewhere that he was a 6'4" PG not too long ago, and then shot up 4 inches, so he can handle the ball too. Maybe most surprising is he is really skilled down low -- has a great "old man" game. On one play he curled across the lane with Plavsic on his hip and dropped in a baby hook overt the top like Plavsic wasn't even there. He is a really smooth player -- already looks like a vet.

As for Plavsic, he has a good outside touch and can move very well for somebody that size. Also fairly stout. I'm sure he's working hard to get more physical down low -- he's not really a hard-nosed banger yet, at least in the 20 minutes I saw. Probably from growing up with the European finesse style. Though he looks fairly strong on the boards. Don't think he will be the presence on D that Alexander was. I doubt he can get off the floor as quick as Kyle, but he will probably be serviceable and plays smart position ball.

Lamonte and Bowden both looked pretty much like you'd expect, though I don't think Lamonte gets up for scrimmages much. He missed most of his 3 pointers, but did a lot of drives and up and under stuff around the rim.

Pember looks like he's 6'10", but didn't show out much. I've heard he's been hurt a lot. He can move well for his size.

I think Kent will be a contributor -- he's beefed up some and hustles on D. Seems to know where to be on both offense and D and gets there in a hurry. Has a good-looking 3 point shot.

Fulky looked bulkier, and he didn't seem so rushed on offense, which showed up in his better control around the bucket. Actually worked to post people up and showed he can hit some mid-range jumpers. Even took one 3 that I remember, but missed it.

I like the transfer from Oregon, too, Bailey. He can't play this year, but he's athletic and looks to be a big strong guard, that kind we seemed to lack so often in the past when playing tough teams with strong guards. Good shooter too.

Josiah James didn't play, but he sure looks the part. Built like a senior already, just like ORN.

Gaines apparently played, but must've been few minutes as I didn't notice him. Looked good in warmups -- a skinny gym rat.

And maybe the biggest surprise was Pons. He was all over the floor. Hit 2 threes, made several steals and a dunk, actually slashed to the bucket without losing the ball on at least one occasion. He even posted somebody up -- I forget who, maybe Fulky, and did a smooth up and under to score. He looks to be pretty improved. An observer who knew nothing about the team might have picked him as the MVP of the scrimmage. Stat stuffer, at least last Friday night.

Everybody hustled and played reasonably tight D for a scrimmage. I'm probably forgetting someone, but I think we are going to be fine for getting back to the tournament, maybe even if Plavsic can't play. These guys are ALL long and have lots of athleticism.

thank goodness we have basketball to look forward to

this is where we are now

I'm with The Dog on this guy. Going to be another one of those "Lightning in a bottle " finds by the staff. Great rebounder on both ends, blocks shots, unselfish, good passer, touch around the rim. if he finds a 3 pt shot he'll be in the conversation for "freshman of the year SEC". Possible even without it. Look out.

Yves looks to have grown a couple of inches. He's standing next to brock Jancek and olivier who are both listed at 6-8, and he's every bit as tall as them. Pember doesn't look as tall as I thought he was as well.

VN Store

Back