Must Visit Places in Knoxville/ Tazewell Areas?

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
I posted same question in the Motorsports thread but no replies so thought I'd try the Pub. Heading down to Tennessee for some races Memorial Day weekend at Volunteer & Tazewell Speedways. Been about 5 years since I've been to Knoxville and have never been to the Tazewell area. Staying at the Tazewell Motor Lodge. I was kinda weary at first but all the reviews I read from multiple sites seem very positive. Any reviews on the Lodge? What's some good social life (if there is such a thing right now), restraunts and other must see places in the area?

Drive through LMU campus and go to the Lincoln museum if they have it open. Do the Cumberland gap thing.

Cowboys and the frosty mug always look busy as I drive through. Google showed a couple higher rated restaurants, however.

Yeah, if you're in tazewell, gotta get up to cumberland gap. Once you go through the tunnel into ky to get to the park, you'll be entertaining the birth county of one of the most awesome people to ever be born😁

My grandparents were from Tazewell and cousin grew up in Harrogate. I second/third Cumberland Gap- all the things, from the Pinnacle to exploring the park and seeing the little town. You'll probably see my uncle as he's got a little antique store somewhere in the Gap!

It's a very quiet little place. For food I'd hit up the Frostee Freeze in Tazewell, we used to go there a lot. Not sure about what all is still around, haven't been there much in the last decade.

Reactions: joevol33
My grandparents were from Tazewell and cousin grew up in Harrogate. I second/third Cumberland Gap- all the things, from the Pinnacle to exploring the park and seeing the little town. You'll probably see my uncle as he's got a little antique store somewhere in the Gap!

It's a very quiet little place. For food I'd hit up the Frostee Freeze in Tazewell, we used to go there a lot. Not sure about what all is still around, haven't been there much in the last decade.
Frostee freeze is still there, or it was a year ago. I'm from the Ky side of Cumberland gap, but haven't been home in a year because of the virus/wife being sick.

Frostee freeze is still there, or it was a year ago. I'm from the Ky side of Cumberland gap, but haven't been home in a year because of the virus/wife being sick.
We used to go to the theater in Middlesboro because they had $1 matinees. And I've been to the P-38 museum more than a few times too.

Reactions: joevol33
You picked two great tracks to go to. There will be some good racing both, and both tracks tend to do well running their shows.

When you go to Bulls Gap, there’s a place nearby called Yoder’s Country Market. It’s kind of a Mennonite grocery store deal.

You can get some absolutely fantastic sandwiches for super cheap. When we go up for the bigger shows, we’ll usually stop by there and get a couple sandwiches per man then go tailgate at the track (or park in tier parking and eat in there. But tier at Bulls Gap can be kinda meh as far as a view of the start/finish).

You picked two great tracks to go to. There will be some good racing both, and both tracks tend to do well running their shows.

When you go to Bulls Gap, there’s a place nearby called Yoder’s Country Market. It’s kind of a Mennonite grocery store deal.

You can get some absolutely fantastic sandwiches for super cheap. When we go up for the bigger shows, we’ll usually stop by there and get a couple sandwiches per man then go tailgate at the track (or park in tier parking and eat in there. But tier at Bulls Gap can be kinda meh as far as a view of the start/finish).

Will definitely check it out! Any other tips for the areas?

Will definitely check it out! Any other tips for the areas?

I mean, it’s all what you’re into.
LMU is near Taz and has a beautiful campus and some cool stuff.

Bulls Gap is right between Morristown and Greeneville, and those will have some more places to eat, etc. Both tracks are in beautiful scenery areas if you just want a good drive or a short hike or something like that. Lakes nearby too.

Do you ever tier park and walk thru the pits? I get about as much enjoyment out of that as I do anything.

Edit to add...get some Pals if you’ve never had it.

VN Store

Back