Music City Bowl wants Vols (merged)

We're 7-5 and haven't been relevant since 2001. I don't see how we should "demand or deserve" anything. I'm grateful to finally have a winning season and be bowling. I've lived through a lot of ups and downs since my first game in '65. This last 15 year stretch is probably the worst I've been through. It's given me a new perspective and yes, appreciation of how difficult the SEC is these days along with how difficult winning seasons are to come by in this conference. I'll never look down my nose at a winning season or any bowl game ever again. Doesn't mean I'm "settling" or "accepting mediocrity". I just appreciate what this team has done and am thankful for what rewards come their way.

We’re on a roll and will travel and sell a lot no matter the bowl. Seems they just stick a local team in because it’s the easy thing to do.

Reactions: 508mikey
Just curious about the payouts. Does it go to the school or SEC conference with UT getting a bigger cut?
Pretty sure it all goes to the conference and then equally distributed to the schools, even the ones that didn't make a bowl.

If you go to a bowl with a greater than $4M payout, the university gets a cut before it's shared with the entire SEC. College Football Playoff Payouts By Conference For 2017-18

Note on the SEC's revenue distribution model: For bowl games with receipts of $4,000,000 – $5,999,999, the participating team retains $1.5 million, plus a travel allowance determined by SEC. For bowl games with receipts of $6 million or more (including all College Football Playoff games), the participating team receives $2.025 million, plus a travel allowance determined by the SEC. If an SEC team makes it to the championship game, it receives another $2.125 million, plus travel allowance.

Reactions: GlennTenn
I get the appeal of FL bowls but the MCB isn't chump change anymore.
Definitely not. It has risen above Weedeater Bowl status and is an upper mid-tier bowl now. It just doesn’t seem exotic to the home folks.

Reactions: Behr
So, basically we're either going to the Outback or Music City. There aren't any other viable options. If the Outback passes on us, the MCB will definitely pick us. So we can forget the Gator, Belk, and Liberty. At the end of the day, that's really not that bad considering we were 1-4 and kind of an embarrassment.

The conference has final say I believe.

Assuming 4 SEC teams get Playoff/NY6 Bowl bids, UT is the #1 choice of all 6 of the Group of 6 bowls (Liberty, Texas, Belk, Outback, music city. Gator). It's not even close.

It's UT, (gap), A&M, (huge gap), UK, (huge gap and hold nose), MSU

I don't know about "not even close", but I can see some logic supporting your argument.

Trying to do the walk/backwards math here...

LSU is in the playoffs no matter what
Georgia is either in the playoffs or NY6
Florida and Alabama should be in NY6
That would put Auburn in the Citrus
That leaves the Outback to pick next, and they would be picking between us, Texas A&M, and Kentucky.

Does that sound about right to those smarter than me?

Reactions: GlennTenn
Yea, I'm fine with that. Gimmie a win and let's put this season behind us on a positive note. Bigger things ahead. That's my opinion.
Fine with me too because I could put a KY state champs sign up outside my office!

and keep the door locked!

Reactions: Behr
It just seems like a lock for Tennessee if we make the post season. Like they look nowhere else and just stick us in the same place when Tennessee is red hot and will travel well for some of the better bowls
If we had beaten GA St and BYU we would be going. They look nowhere else because there are teams with more than 7 wins and without losses to cupcakes.

If I read this article correctly (Bowl Selection Process), the SEC teams are selected as follows:

1. Playoff teams and New Years Six chosen
  2. Citrus Bowl picks SEC team
  3. SEC office has final decision for the next six SEC teams for the Outback Bowl, Music City Bowl, Gator Bowl, Liberty Bowl, Texas Bowl, and Belk Bowl.
  4. Birmingham Bowl has next option for an SEC team
  5. Independence Bowl has the next option for an SEC team after the Birmingham Bowl chooses

Reactions: volz2wallz
So, basically we're either going to the Outback or Music City. There aren't any other viable options. If the Outback passes on us, the MCB will definitely pick us. So we can forget the Gator, Belk, and Liberty. At the end of the day, that's really not that bad considering we were 1-4 and kind of an embarrassment.
We're not "back" yet, we're just now crawling out of the muck. Hopefully this is now our worst. I'm just enjoying the ride. We're due and I believe its coming!!!!

Auburn will get the Outback

Yeah... I don’t get the hate either. I’m debating whether to roll the dice on some cheap Stubhub tickets.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm hoping I can get box seats again from my buddy.

As looking as we play a team we haven't seen in a while, I don't really care.

I don't know about "not even close", but I can see some logic supporting your argument.

Trying to do the walk/backwards math here...

LSU is in the playoffs no matter what
Georgia is either in the playoffs or NY6
Florida and Alabama should be in NY6
That would put Auburn in the Citrus
That leaves the Outback to pick next, and they would be picking between us, Texas A&M, and Kentucky.

Does that sound about right to those smarter than me?

Technically, the Outback doesn't pick. The SEC assigns the teams to the bowls after discussions with the schools, the bowls, and other interested parties (cough..ESPN..cough).

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back