Mullen vs McElwain

papatomany

Tracking "Hire of the Century", Dan Mullen:
I said when Florida hired him that they could look forward to roughly the same success as they had under McElwain, so how's that prediction so far?
McElwain year 1 regular season: 10-2, 7-1 conference, won the east.
Mullen year 1 regular season: 9-3, 5-3 conference, second in the east.

McElwain lost to Alabama in the championship game, which Mullen didn't get to play in. McElwain then lost his bowl game, with Mullen's bowl game still to be determined.

Clear, but marginal, edge to McElwain.

Don’t think Mac ever got close to cracking the top 50 in offense

Mullen did it in his first year and also made Franks look like a decent QB

I really doubt the wheels fall off in year 3 like they did with Mac

Last edited:
Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Don’t think Mac ever got close to cracking the top 50 in offense

Mullen did it in his first year and also made Franks look like a decent QB

Which matters only if it translates into more wins. This actually plays to my point: Mullen will be about as successful as McElwain, even given the perpetually crappy offenses and Butch-like dysfunction of McElwain's teams.

Which matters only if it translates into more wins. This actually plays to my point: Mullen will be about as successful as McElwain, even given the perpetually crappy offenses and Butch-like dysfunction of McElwain's teams.
It translated to 5 more wins then last years team managed and considering it’s mostly the same guys that’s a huge improvement is it not?

Tracking "Hire of the Century", Dan Mullen:
I said when Florida hired him that they could look forward to roughly the same success as they had under McElwain, so how's that prediction so far?
McElwain year 1 regular season: 10-2, 7-1 conference, won the east.
Mullen year 1 regular season: 9-3, 5-3 conference, second in the east.

McElwain lost to Alabama in the championship game, which Mullen didn't get to play in. McElwain then lost his bowl game, with Mullen's bowl game still to be determined.

Clear, but marginal, edge to McElwain.

Mac inherited a guy named Will Grier at QB who got him off to a 6-0 start, and he inherited a defense loaded with NFL talent. Mac finished 10-4, losing three in a row to end the season. 9 of Mac's ten wins were against unranked teams, any team with a pulse beat the hell out of UF that year. The only exception was Ole Miss who came to Gainesville way over-ranked.

Mullen inherited a struggling Franks at QB, turned him into a solid player, inherited one of UF's worst defenses in the last 30 years, and beat 3 ranked teams. Mullen by a mile.

Reactions: G8R8U2
It translated to 5 more wins then last years team managed and considering it’s mostly the same guys that’s a huge improvement is it not?
3-5 in conference after 6-2 and an east title preceded Mullen, compared to 4-4 in conference after a 3-5 preceding McElwain. Not to mention: McElwain was fired at 3-3, 3-2 in conference, with loses to Michigan, to LSU by 1 point, and to A&M by 2. I understand why they wanted rid of him, but he could easily have been 5-1 at that point, which would be exactly like his previous years. That was overall a very solid team he handed to Mullen. In fact, sounds to me like McElwain gave Mullen more than Muschamp gave McElwain.

All in all, though, this is all irrelevant. I'll see you guys back here in five years, when Mullen still hasn't gotten into the playoffs. (Unless of course it expands to 16 teams by then).

3-5 in conference after 6-2 and an east title preceded Mullen, compared to 4-4 in conference after a 3-5 preceding McElwain. Not to mention: McElwain was fired at 3-3, 3-2 in conference, with loses to Michigan, to LSU by 1 point, and to A&M by 2. I understand why they wanted rid of him, but he could easily have been 5-1 at that point, which would be exactly like his previous years. That was overall a very solid team he handed to Mullen. In fact, sounds to me like McElwain gave Mullen more than Muschamp gave McElwain.

All in all, though, this is all irrelevant. I'll see you guys back here in five years, when Mullen still hasn't gotten into the playoffs. (Unless of course it expands to 16 teams by then).
I think each coach actually left a decent squad for the guy that succeeded them. Muschamp left McElwain a great defense that McElwain rode basically the entire time he was there. McElwain left Mullen some pieces on offense that he wasn't able to get a whole lot out of, but Mullen came in and seemed to turn Franks into an adequate QB.

Reactions: papatomany
Mac inherited a guy named Will Grier at QB who got him off to a 6-0 start, and he inherited a defense loaded with NFL talent. Mac finished 10-4, losing three in a row to end the season. 9 of Mac's ten wins were against unranked teams, any team with a pulse beat the hell out of UF that year. The only exception was Ole Miss who came to Gainesville way over-ranked.

Mullen inherited a struggling Franks at QB, turned him into a solid player, inherited one of UF's worst defenses in the last 30 years, and beat 3 ranked teams. Mullen by a mile.
bowl game against a decent team, Bama in the SEC, and FSU to end the season. that's hardly something you can hold against someone.

Reactions: papatomany
bowl game against a decent team, Bama in the SEC, and FSU to end the season. that's hardly something you can hold against someone.

But that stretch was really the first time UF had played some good/great teams in succession. Remember, this was the window where the SECe was just dismal. Outside of this 3-game stretch to end the season, the only really good teams UF played were LSU and Ole Miss and went 1-1. So in the five most challenging games, Mac was 1-4 that year. Regardless, while I had a pretty good feeling for most of Mac's first year, there were definite warning signs of trouble. The most glaring was his complete lack of emphasis on special teams and strength and conditioning. UF's lack of even a basic High School S&C program under Mac has become infamous in Gainesville. As a Florida fan, all the areas that gave me unease about Mac have been abated by Mullen.

But that stretch was really the first time UF had played some good/great teams in succession. Remember, this was the window where the SECe was just dismal. Outside of this 3-game stretch to end the season, the only really good teams UF played were LSU and Ole Miss and went 1-1. So in the five most challenging games, Mac was 1-4 that year. Regardless, while I had a pretty good feeling for most of Mac's first year, there were definite warning signs of trouble. The most glaring was his complete lack of emphasis on special teams and strength and conditioning. UF's lack of even a basic High School S&C program under Mac has become infamous in Gainesville. As a Florida fan, all the areas that gave me unease about Mac have been abated by Mullen.
fair enough.

Reactions: Jaws
Mac had a horrible strength program

Just look at the improvement on the OL

They couldn’t run block to save their lives the last 3 years then all of a sudden this year they straight mauling guys out there opening up big holes

Reactions: Jaws
Mullen started with a title contender UGA and a UK team that was actually a threat. mcElwain started with the worst East ever. UK was typical UK, UGA wasn’t much of threat to do anything and we were no different than we are today.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Mullen started with a title contender UGA and a UK team that was actually a threat. mcElwain started with the worst East ever. UK was typical UK, UGA wasn’t much of threat to do anything and we were no different than we are today.
Exactly

And it’s not like Mullen had bad losses Mizzou was solid still top 25 rn UGA 5th Kentucky top 20

No bad losses beat msu who never saw that coming

Beat LSU

2 great comeback victories against scar and Vandy

And beat the breaks off tenn and fsu

I’ll take it

Florida scored the most points they have in a season since 2009 when Tebow was Qb.

I’m good
Damn right and Mullen actually knows defense too

3 guys he scouted and pulled to MSU are dominating in the nfl atm

Fletcher Cox
Chris Jones
Denico Autry

Them boys sacking everyone behind the line

And Jachai Polite 11.5 sacks and 16 tfl are best we’ve seen from anybody in years kid actually could break the UF sack record with a monster 3-4 sack game

He’d never had more then 2 sacks in a season before this yr stupid Mac had him at 275 playing inside Mullen and savage had him drop 40lbs and boom dominated became All American and best edge rusher in the conference besides Allen at UK

Last edited:
Damn right and Mullen actually knows defense too

3 guys he scouted and pulled to MSU are dominating in the nfl atm

Fletcher Cox
Chris Jones
Denico Autry

Them boys sacking everyone behind the line

And Jachai Polite 11.5 sacks and 16 tfl are best we’ve seen from anybody in years kid actually could break the UF sack record with a monster 3-4 sack game

He’d never had more then 2 sacks in a season before this yr stupid Mac had him at 275 playing inside Mullen and savage had him drop 40lbs and boom dominated became All American and best edge rusher in the conference besides Allen at UK

mark.jpg

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back