MS ST post game observations

keenobserver

When coaches say a position group is getting better, it's usually cliche or they dont know anything else to say....However, despite MS St not being a good team, it is apparent our OL is getting better....Wright, Smith, Morris, and Kennedy are all solid players....Carvin looks like hes getting after people as well..They are missing blitzers and assignments sometimes, but they're are playing extremely aggressive, which we all know is a great sign..

It's obvious that Pruitt has made the bold decision to play his players, including true freshman as I'm sure this is his selling point in recruiting.....It was nice to see Keyton with a big catch. Hopefully Arik Gilbert will join his two buddies at TN next season...It was equally nice to see the resurrection of Tyler Byrd..(butchs)....it looks like his opportunity for success today was a direct result of Tee being on the sidelines putting him in the game.

Ignot leaving and Banks' dismissal might be a little bigger deal than what I once thought..Ignot obviously was never gonna be a great player, but he was athletic enough to provide some depth. It looks like Pruitt has moved Crouch inside after after Henry's ejection...He was improving coming off the edge.. I can see ILB depth being an issue for us moving forward..

It's hard not to believe Bryce Thompson has NFL talent. He makes plays all over the field---sticky man defense, PBUs, sacks, open field tackles.. Let's hope they can assign a graduate assistant to monitor his every movement when hes not at the facilities..

I dont want to hear one peep about who the better QB is.....we all knew BM was gonna be volatile...hes gonna do alot more stupid things this season, what hes not gonna do is stand around and hold the football and get smashed.....hes our guy....at least for this season...

I still dont see how M. Callaway does not get the ball in his hands during a game...?

Did anyone notice Tee wasn't in the press box snacking with Chaney? Anyone at the game notice him coaching em up on the sidelines? Is there something to this?

Overall, today has eased my pain a little. GBO!

Last edited:
When coaches say a position group is getting better, it's usually cliche or they dont know anything else to say....However, despite MS St not being a good team, it is apparent our OL is getting better....Wright, Smith, Kennedy are all solid players....Carvin looks like hes getting after people as well..They are missing blitzers and assignments sometimes, but they're are playing extremely aggressive, which we all know is a great sign..

It's obvious that Pruitt has made the bold decision to play his players, including true freshman as I'm sure this is his selling point in recruiting.....It was nice to see Keyton with a big catch. Hopefully Arik Gilbert will join his two buddies at TN next season...It was equally nice to see the resurrection of Tyler Byrd..(butchs)

If not leaving might be a little bigger deal than what I once thought..He obviously was never gonna be a great player, but he was athletic enough to provide some depth. It looks like Pruitt has moved Crouch inside after after Henry's ejection...He was improving coming off the edge.. I can see ILB depth being an issue for us moving forward..

It's hard not to believe Bryce Thompson has NFL talent. Hes everywhere. Let's hope they can assign a graduate assistant to monitor his every movement when hes not at the facilities..

I dont want to hear one peep about who the better QB is.....we all knew BM was gonna be volatile...hes gonna do alot more stupid things this season, what hes not gonna stand around and hold the football and get smashed.....hes our guy....at least for this season...

Did anyone notice Tee wasn't in the press box snacking with Chaney? I actually didn't see him at all? Anyone at the game notice him coaching em up on the sidelines? Is there something to this?

Yes, coach moved him to the sideline today. It was said he helped with getting folks on and off field (rotation)

When coaches say a position group is getting better, it's usually cliche or they dont know anything else to say....However, despite MS St not being a good team, it is apparent our OL is getting better....Wright, Smith, Kennedy are all solid players....Carvin looks like hes getting after people as well..They are missing blitzers and assignments sometimes, but they're are playing extremely aggressive, which we all know is a great sign..

It's obvious that Pruitt has made the bold decision to play his players, including true freshman as I'm sure this is his selling point in recruiting.....It was nice to see Keyton with a big catch. Hopefully Arik Gilbert will join his two buddies at TN next season...It was equally nice to see the resurrection of Tyler Byrd..(butchs)

Ignot leaving might be a little bigger deal than what I once thought..He obviously was never gonna be a great player, but he was athletic enough to provide some depth. It looks like Pruitt has moved Crouch inside after after Henry's ejection...He was improving coming off the edge.. I can see ILB depth being an issue for us moving forward..

It's hard not to believe Bryce Thompson has NFL talent. Hes everywhere. Let's hope they can assign a graduate assistant to monitor his every movement when hes not at the facilities..

I dont want to hear one peep about who the better QB is.....we all knew BM was gonna be volatile...hes gonna do alot more stupid things this season, what hes not gonna stand around and hold the football and get smashed.....hes our guy....at least for this season...

Did anyone notice Tee wasn't in the press box snacking with Chaney? I actually didn't see him at all? Anyone at the game notice him coaching em up on the sidelines? Is there something to this?

Pruitt said that Tee moved to sideline. Thought our starting WRs we’re in on 75-80 plays, and ideally would like them in on 55-60. Said was easier for Tee to notice when guys were gassed, etc. was pleased with results

When coaches say a position group is getting better, it's usually cliche or they dont know anything else to say....However, despite MS St not being a good team, it is apparent our OL is getting better....Wright, Smith, Morris, and Kennedy are all solid players....Carvin looks like hes getting after people as well..They are missing blitzers and assignments sometimes, but they're are playing extremely aggressive, which we all know is a great sign..

Ignot leaving might be a little bigger deal than what I once thought..He obviously was never gonna be a great player, but he was athletic enough to provide some depth. It looks like Pruitt has moved Crouch inside after after Henry's ejection...He was improving coming off the edge.. I can see ILB depth being an issue for us moving forward..

I dont want to hear one peep about who the better QB is.....we all knew BM was gonna be volatile...hes gonna do alot more stupid things this season, what hes not gonna do is stand around and hold the football and get smashed.....hes our guy....at least for this season...

My perception in game today was run blocking was not as good today as we’ve seen thus far.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
My biggest gripe with Maurer is I really wish he had been starting from game one.I get why he wasn’t but I feel like the two int in the end zone he maybe doesn’t throw if he has 3-4 games under his belt already.It is what it is no reason to rehash but I think the season has a totally different feel if he’s our guy day one.

My biggest gripe with Maurer is I really wish he had been starting from game one.I get why he wasn’t but I feel like the two int in the end zone he maybe doesn’t throw if he has 3-4 games under his belt already.It is what it is no reason to rehash but I think the season has a totally different feel if he’s our guy day one.
He reminds me a little of a sophomore Heath Shuler

Reactions: barryrules99

It's hard not to believe Bryce Thompson has NFL talent. He makes plays all over the field---sticky man defense, PBUs, sacks, open field tackles.. Let's hope they can assign a graduate assistant to monitor his every movement when hes not at the facilities..

Yea- Shout out to Mr. Byrd. Where have you been?

Can't believe no one has mentioned the D Line; they held Mr. Hill in check, and hit the QB behind the line a few times too.

Great point....that should have been included....especially since the narrative going into the game was states great OL and their SEC leading rusher....

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Can't believe no one has mentioned the D Line; they held Mr. Hill in check, and hit the QB behind the line a few times too.

The defense won this game for us.

Who would have predicted a Vol victory if you were told before the game we would score less than 21 points?

Reactions: igotworms
Not trying to be captain obvious, but that OL should improve or I have legitimate questions about Coach Friend, he has three 5 stars at his disposal...

Reactions: igotworms

If he had of been we may not have lost a game. Game expierence helps a player a great deal. We had our chances with Fla, just couldn't score, what would it have looked like if he had those 3 games. and Ga can be beat, it was shown today, at the worst we would have 4 wins now.

Reactions: Alto1
I really don't recall many negative run plays which is a big improvement over the last few years...

It's obvious that Pruitt has made the bold decision to play his players, including true freshman as I'm sure this is his selling point in recruiting.....It was nice to see Keyton with a big catch. Hopefully Arik Gilbert will join his two buddies at TN next season...It was equally nice to see the resurrection of Tyler Byrd..(butchs)....it looks like his opportunity for success today was a direct result of Tee being on the sidelines putting him in the game.

Ignot leaving and Banks' dismissal might be a little bigger deal than what I once thought..Ignot obviously was never gonna be a great player, but he was athletic enough to provide some depth. It looks like Pruitt has moved Crouch inside after after Henry's ejection...He was improving coming off the edge.. I can see ILB depth being an issue for us moving forward..

I still dont see how M. Callaway does not get the ball in his hands during a game...?

Did anyone notice Tee wasn't in the press box snacking with Chaney? Anyone at the game notice him coaching em up on the sidelines? Is there something to this?

I noticed Chaney looked as big as the Stay Puft Marshmallow man up in the booth

Watching 2 very bad football teams today was made enjoyable by the win
Go Vols

VN Store

Back