MS ST is our biggest measuring stick

I disagree, this game is actually meaningless outside of a W or L. My opinion is the that the biggest measuring stick left in this season is the USCa game. Winning that game, and being the best team on the field that day is all that is left.

Not to say that if we only get 5 wins this year, and lost to MissST then yeah, it will have been a big deal in getting a bowl game. But not even close to how important it is to show improvement in the USCa game, after an assured drubbing by Ala.

If we are not the better team for the USCa game and get a win, the 2020 season is in jeopardy 10 months before it kicks-off.

Seriously. If the VOLS continue losing conference games by only 10-13 pts, is that considered improvement? It will be better than average, but is that enough to convince the fans on the fence about this staff. I think the staff is here at lest one more year no matter. If Jones gets a HC gig somewhere, next year may be CJP's last. I don't see any way TENN pays salary for 3 HCs at the same time, and 2 staff salaries on top of that (although most assistants will get another big job and Pruitt will probably get anther DC job).

In MSU's current starting 23 (including nickel), there are 11 RS Sr's, 2 Sr's, 7 RS Jr's, 2 Jr's, and 1 RS Fr. There are some transfers but only one guy is starting who was recruited by the current staff. He was left most of the guys who are playing.

UT's starting 23 has 7 Fr and 2 Sophs. If Akporoghene starts then add another Fr.

Pruitt is much more dependent on the guys he recruited than MSU's staff is.

This should be a negative for MSU based on many here. They say it's impossible to coach the prior coaches players.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
This should be a negative for MSU based on many here. They say it's impossible to coach the prior coaches players.
I would say it matters who that coach was and how they left. My notion is that following Jones who was fired for essentially being incompetent and squandering a lot of talent... is significantly less appealing than following Mullen who essentially got a promotion. One coach was very stable for 8 years and brought a level of success to a 2nd or 3rd tier program. The other was anything but stable and couldn't win even with superior talent.

Often overlooked in the assessment of Jones is that he was a HUGE beneficiary of legacy players and some homers like Hurd. That he got paid to choke away that very real chance of restoring the program... should be criminal. That's one of the reasons I think he is by far the worst coach UT has had over the last 40 years.

I would say it matters who that coach was and how they left. My notion is that following Jones who was fired for essentially being incompetent and squandering a lot of talent... is significantly less appealing than following Mullen who essentially got a promotion. One coach was very stable for 8 years and brought a level of success to a 2nd or 3rd tier program. The other was anything but stable and couldn't win even with superior talent.

Often overlooked in the assessment of Jones is that he was a HUGE beneficiary of legacy players and some homers like Hurd. That he got paid to choke away that very real chance of restoring the program... should be criminal. That's one of the reasons I think he is by far the worst coach UT has had over the last 40 years.

A good portion of the board declared Mullen garbage two years ago, so while I'm not saying you did, many were not high on him at all. That said, Butch was very bad on game day. Really bad. Dooley was worse overall. His hire was the biggest mistake in UT football history.

A good portion of the board declared Mullen garbage two years ago, so while I'm not saying you did, many were not high on him at all. That said, Butch was very bad on game day. Really bad. Dooley was worse overall. His hire was the biggest mistake in UT football history.
thumb_why-not-both-memegenerator-net-in-the-wake-of-yet-another-31192960.png

I liked Mullen. He didn't blow my skirt up or anything... but I liked him. My concern with him at UT is one that's been voiced at UF. He doesn't appear to be a great recruiter.

Just have to agree to disagree on Dooley and Jones. Jones is flat out incompetent. The thing he did "best" was recruit. He did that with a MAJOR assist from a spike of legacy players.

Dooley's problem was the opposite. He was a lazy, non-demanding recruiter. But he didn't try to constantly re-invent the wheel and his guys were well developed.

I read an article this summer about Mullen after he got to Florida , his first agenda was team building. He got Mcelewain's players and his new players and immediately started to do team building and bonding. Maybe he learned that on his first HC job but whatever he did it worked Florida was 4 & 8 in 2017 before he got there and his first year turned it around to 10- 03 last year and undefeated this year.

I disagree, this game is actually meaningless outside of a W or L. My opinion is the that the biggest measuring stick left in this season is the USCa game. Winning that game, and being the best team on the field that day is all that is left.

Not to say that if we only get 5 wins this year, and lost to MissST then yeah, it will have been a big deal in getting a bowl game. But not even close to how important it is to show improvement in the USCa game, after an assured drubbing by Ala.

If we are not the better team for the USCa game and get a win, the 2020 season is in jeopardy 10 months before it kicks-off.

Think about it this way, we lose this game and we’re guaranteed AT LEAST six losses with Bama next. That means we have to win out to have a clear shot at a bowl, so yes this game is absolutely a must win to jumpstart a turnaround.

Reactions: cgrish
I may just watch the 98 SECCG this weekend instead (yes, it's easier to live in the past). We lead the league in rushing in '98, yet we had trouble running the ball and throwing short passes in this game. What did we do? Throw deep x2 in a 32 second span of time to win the game. That's how champions find a way to win. For those not old enough, this is what it used to look like:

Peerless Price

[URL=/gif/1998-sec-championship-1-tennessee-vs-23-mississippi-state-hd-iJt69z][/URL]

Cedric Wilson

[URL=/gif/1998-sec-championship-1-tennessee-vs-23-mississippi-state-hd-_JRoEu][/URL]

We are starting a Freshman QB who is a turnover waiting to happen. There is a reason we are such heavy underdogs.

Agree with all these sentiments. However, I must say.... I really don’t like this matchup at all. This would have been a much better year to draw Arky or Ole Miss.

Miss State is going to run the ball, and will run it well. Expect to see a lot of long, sustained drives that end in TD’s for them.

I don’t like this matchup because we are going to have to score a lot to win, and points have been tough to come by for this team lately.

I predict Miss. st. will score at least 28 points, just depends on how much they run the ball, more than likely they will put up 38 if they try a balanced attack.. But we should be able to score on them too.

It is. Mississippi state is mediocre. Tennessee is much improved. That said it’s a tall order to expect a freshman QB to win this one. I think Maurer will be good in the future I’m just not sure he’s ready just yet.

Why are we never supposed to expect anything from our freshman QBs? Do we need to go ahead and,list all the freshman QBs who kick ass each year?

In the old days Miss State was an easy ass-whipping. Now it's a measuring stick on the programs attempt to rise back to relevance. Times have changed, Lord.

It might still be an easy ass-whipping...the other way around. But let’s hope not. Pruitt needs this game in a big way.

Reactions: UT Hill Man
Well I was an undergrad at the time so it’s Pretty relevant to me
God Bless you sir, it is never too late to achieve your educational dreams! I was referring to the normal HS-College type undergrad, that is why I said "Close to Zero", hope you didn't feel left out.

First it was BYU. Then UF. Now MSU is the measuring stick. There is no measuring stick game. MSU is just another game.

The more I think about it I’m with you on this.
I think the best measuring stick we have is how much do we actually improve each week in fundamentals; missed tackles, missed assignments, missed blocks, dropped passes, to name a few compared to our last games.
This also pertains to how much our coaches improve each week; game preparedness, clock & timeout management, halftime adjustments, play calling and utilizing our playmakers just to name a few things.

VN Store

Back