'19 MS SDE Jalil Clemons (Memphis signee)

SIAP

“Clemons holds a dozen offers and was among the top performers at various camps this spring. He his 103.14 SPARK score was the best of any Mississippi prospect at a regional Opening Camp, as Clemons possesses a blend of quickness (4.5 shuttle) and bend for a pass rusher. As a defensive end for Starkville in 2017, he recorded 11 sacks, 22 tackles for loss and five forced fumbles. The Vols are recruiting Clemons as an outside linebacker, and the ’Sip native is excited about that transition moving forward.”

VQ

Also several SEC schools are watching him MSST, auburn, A&M

Reactions: 6 people
Good point on why we are taking the commitment now.

“Because if you like him and don’t take him now for that reason and then he blows up it becomes a battle.”

Price

See Logue..

Reactions: 4 people
Don't understand his ratings and lack of offers, after watching multiple videos on him today.

Don't really care though. I definitely trust this coaching staff. If they think he's good enough to give a committable offer in June, then rest assured they're good football players.

Don’t usually pretend to get anything definitive out of high school and Opening highlights, but this kid is Beasley level explosive! That’s a 3-4 OLB folks!

Reactions: 2 people
:fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:
:welcomec:
:clapping::salute::baloon::baloon::baloon::hi:​

Random factoid: currently has the exact same composite as Middleton. .8678

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
giphy.gif

“Tennessee just fit me real well,” he said. “The scheme. The school. The facilities. Coach (Jermey) Pruitt up there, he’s bringing the Alabama mindset down there. All the coaches have shown me love.”

“They made me feel like family. They told me they wanted me. Need me. (Pruitt) told me I remind him of Ryan Anderson from Alabama,” Clemons said. “That meant a lot coming from coach Pruitt. Coach Pruitt had a big smile on his face (when I told) him. He told me that makes him a happy man.”

“Ryan Anderson is one of my favorite players. To be compared to him, man, that means a lot. It gives me more motivation to be great,” Clemons said. “They’re recruiting me to play outside linebacker and that’s kind of different for me so I have to learn it, but coach (Chris) Rumph, he stays hard on you and he’s not going to sugarcoat nothing. He’s going to coach you and I like his style. They don’t put no recruiting (speil) or nothing, they just recruit you naturally.”

Tennessee first discovered Clemons during the spring evaluation period and the new staff’s opinion of the future outside linebacker was confirmed during Saturday’s camp workout. It won’t be a surprise to see others come calling for the 3-star prospect, but Clemons said he’s glad to put the recruiting process behind him now. “It excites me a lot to be a Vol,” he said. “As coach Pruitt said, folks are sleeping on me. I can play. I’m a football player.”

-VQ

Reactions: 8 people
Tidbit from a camp

5. Jalil Clemons was the only defensive lineman who clearly defeated Clay Webb. But the rare feat wasn't the sole impressive rep he took, beating blockers with great explosion off of the football and quickness thereafter. On the play the Starkville (Miss.) edge rusher beat the five-star, he got on top of Webb before he was able to set and showed strong hands in chopping down the blockers' before extension. At 6-foot-3, 240 pounds, Clemons is a guy whose stock should steadily rise is he continues to perform how he did against a great crop of offensive linemen. A Power 5 program has yet to extend the class of 2019 prospect to this point.

Reactions: 12 people
His coach

Starkville coach Chris Jones told 247Sports' Yancy Porter in early May that he believes Clemons "is the best defensive lineman in the state" of Mississippi.

"He just has great get-off speed and the best hands I've ever coached," Jones told Porter. "When he gets his hands on you, it's over. Jalil has such a high motor. He plays sideline to sideline. He's 6-foot-2.5, 240, but I think he will grow into a 285-pound guy playing the three-technique when he gets to college."

Clemons recorded 73 tackles, including 22 tackles for loss, along with 11 sacks and five forced fumbles as a junior. But his limited size has hurt his recruitment.

"Mississippi State came by and flat-out said they weren't taking him because he's too small," Jones told Porter. "Somebody is going to sign him and shake their heads in a couple of years that they got this guy. I was with (Mississippi State defensive lineman) Jeffery Simmons, and he hit a growth spurt his senior season. I'm telling you, the two play just like one another. Play with an edge on the field. No one can block Jalil one-on-one. I know that.

"Wait until he gets at some of these camps and combines this summer," Jones said in early May. "He'll blow up. Hands down, he's better than (LSU commitment and teammate) Zach Edwards. That's no knock on Zach. Jalil is just in another league

Reactions: 8 people
Starkville head coach Chris Jones was not shy in naming Jalil Clemons his best defensive player. Don't forget LSU LB commit Zach Edwards also plays for the Yellow Jackets. Well, wouldn't you know it, Jalil had the best SPARK rating out of any of the Mississippians at the event and out of any defensive lineman at the event with a score of 103.14. How he didn't get invited to The Opening with the best showing out of all of the defensive lineman at the event in beyond me?

Clemons checked in at 6-foot-2 1/2, 238. That is a little lighter than we anticipated, but it was good to know that he's a legit 6-foot-2 1/2. But when you look deeper into his numbers you can see why coach Jones is so high on the young man. He ran a really nice 40 time of 4.89 with a 4.5 short shuttle. That is why he is so good inside and out for Starkville's defensive line. The guy has quick short burst and can get in and out of his cuts to make tackles and avoid the offensive linemen. Jalil jumped 32" on his vertical.

Magnolia state continues to shine at prestigious football combines

Jalil Clemons Highlights #69 Rivals Camp Series Mobile 2018 - YouTube

Jalil Clemons highlights at The Opening Dallas

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back