MS DT Fabien Lovett (FSU transferee)

Don’t forget Simmons. I could see him finding a few snaps this season. Dline depth is excellent this year.

I hope Simmons really comes along with his conditioning and craft. He brought a lot of positive traits with him. Would be nice to have a nasty DT again which we've severely lacked for many years.

Reactions: VolInDayton
He would be a 0 tech NT and we don't have a true NT. Solomon is a DT/NT but you'd typically want your NT to be around 330+ to eat up more space and protect your ILBs
Pruitt wanted Simmons to get down to 310 so it’s not HIS ideal to tack on the extra 20 lbs of fat. Emerson’s easily in that range. I say we have 3 TRUE NT’s on the roster already.

Solomon is a 4-3 DT, but a 3-4 DE.......there is a schematic difference....they'll play different positions....Matthew Butler is not a DT either....... when Pruitt took over, this was one of the challenges.....to recruit and build a defense that fits his philosophy.....You can see this with recruiting, Tyler Baron will be a 3-4 DE as he'll end up being 270-280 ish.....
Yeah. Wasn’t saying SOLOMON was a NT. Maybe our terminologies are at a conflict. Mine has a NT flanked by a DT and DE...all big bodies. Baron most likely ends up a DL but currently he’s projected as an edge.

Pruitt wanted Simmons to get down to 310 so it’s not HIS ideal to tack on the extra 20 lbs of fat. Emerson’s easily in that range. I say we have 3 TRUE NT’s on the roster already.

Simmons wont be 310 until he turns vegan.....he's the only 3-4 NT on the roster........there's not a NT in a 4-3, only DT's.......which we know we have some good one's.......a base 4-3 requires different LB personnel on the field as you well know.......a base 4-3 is what we've been playing with a nickle, but it's important to note that Pruitt would much rather play a base 3-4 with a huge/dominant NT with a Sam and Jack........both of which have the ability to pass rush....he's been playing defense with a front 7 that isnt his philosophy.....again, the players he's prioritized in his recruiting show what he wants....he's been unable to land that big time NT yet......simmons maybe, omari might be the future there.....

Last edited:
Reactions: sport3500
Simmons wont be 310 until he turns vegan.....he's the only 3-4 NT on the roster........there's not a NT in a 3-4, only DT's.......
Talking about what Pruitt WANTED...as in goals. Conflict with you and Conley’s ideals for the position. Repeat my assertion that Emerson and Garland are true NT’s...we’re not going to agree on this.

Reactions: Vol8188
Talking about what Pruitt WANTED...as in goals. Conflict with you and Conley’s ideals for the position. Repeat my assertion that Emerson and Garland are true NT’s...we’re not going to agree on this.

The only way we agree is if you believe Pruitt will continue to adapt to the players and scheme with what he inherited, which might be the case......he may continue to put 4-3 DTs out there to be run stopping NTs........but I'll push back, bc I can see he continue's to run 3-4 schemes against base....he's gonna find one, or mold one of the ones we've talked about into one.....I love Garland, but I dont think he's the answer to SEC greatness at DT in any scenerio....I think he's a serviceable backup.....if you believe Pruitt wont abandon everything he's learned about the 3-4, we'll end up seeing a dude that's 6-3 330 with athleticism playing NT in base sets....eventually.......it may be Emerson or gooden......but itll be someone that ain't 290

Last edited:
The only way we agree is if you believe Pruitt will continue to adapt to the players and scheme with what he inherited, which might be the case......he may continue to put 4-3 DTs out there to be run stopping NTs........but I'll push back, bc I can see he continue's to run 3-4 schemes against base....he's gonna find one, or mold one of the ones we've talked about into one.....I love Garland, but I dont think he's the answer to SEC greatness at DT in any scenerio....I think he's a serviceable backup
I don’t think the transfer is SEC greatness. Don’t know if Emerson will be regarded as great but he’s good and gets the job done...which will allow for greatness with the linebackers. Bill Pickel didn’t meet the prerequisites for traditional nose tackle for the Oakland Raiders, just manned the position for 10 years. Pruitt identified strengths for Bama fire plugs and would use a Darron Payne one season and a Quinnen Williams the next. He’s not limited by our antiquated definitions.

Reactions: Vol8188

We don't have any true 3-4 NT on this current roster. A true 3-4 NT is 6'3 or better around 325-330. Anything under that is a 4'3 DT. Just look up UGA and Bama NTs.

Reactions: keenobserver
We don't have any true 3-4 NT on this current roster. A true 3-4 NT is 6'3 or better around 325-330. Anything under that is a 4'3 DT. Just look up UGA and Bama NTs.

Bama's NT's
DJ Dale - 6'3, 308 (Starter)
Christian Barmore - 6'5, 310
Stephon Wynn - 6'4, 311
Bama has Sospher as well....6'4, 334

Tennessee's NT's
Emmit Gooden - 6'3, 290
Greg Emerson - 6'3, 300
Kurot Garland - 6'3, 304
Elijah Simmons - 6'2, 340
Omari Thomas - 6'5, 310
Dominic Bailey is also 6'3, 305 sooooooo (Probably won't play NT, but he has the size)

I see a few NT types. Bailey and Thomas will keep growing as well.

Bama's NT's
DJ Dale - 6'3, 308 (Starter)
Christian Barmore - 6'5, 310
Stephon Wynn - 6'4, 311

Tennessee's NT's
Emmit Gooden - 6'3, 290
Greg Emerson - 6'3, 300
Kurot Garland - 6'3, 304
Elijah Simmons - 6'2, 340
Omari Thomas - 6'5, 310
Dominic Bailey is also 6'3, 305 sooooooo

I see a few NT types. Bailey and Thomas will keep growing as well.
Simmons is a man child 😬 that kid is awesome

Jim Burt was a “true 3-4 NT” and he was 6’1. Lots more examples of stellar NT’s that don’t meet your specifics. If you’re relying ONLY on what you perceive as Bama and UGA’s requirements are then our conversation is pointless.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Sorry, but I don't want anyone on the team that is that sensitive and will quit at the drop of a dime.

Offenses have changed. There aren't many teams lineing up in a I formation, much less under center. Every position defense needs to be able to move. Yeah a 340lb NT is ideal, but if he's a statue then give me a 320 that still eats space but is atheletic. There's not many 340+ people on the planet that can move.

This is so dumb if they were truly offended by this. Mississippi plus a noose doesn't automatically make something racist.

Noose equals Lynching. Why is what he alluded to considered racist by some, or questioned by others you may ask? Because 4,743 people died at the hands of US lynch mobs between 1881 and 1968. 3,446 (nearly three-quarters) of those lynched were black Americans. Mississippi along with Georgia and Louisiana had some of the highest rates of lynching.
Tulsa,OK neighborhood Greenwood considered as (Black Wall Street) in 1921 is were 100-300 blacks were massacred.
He may have been disgruntled at MissSt and was ready to leave, but by Leach mentioning a controversial and sensitive subject as he did, and receiving over 4000 likes shows everyone isn't sensitive to the black plight.

The picture resembled nothing even close to racism, and no one at that university ever had anything to do with lynching and probably not even the civil rights movement. All that was is a kid that wanted to leave got an opening to use something that he might be able to play immediately with and jumped on it.

Modern nose guards don’t have to be 320+ to be effective. Quinnen Williams was 295 and I’m pretty sure he won the Outland trophy. He was quicker and still took up 2 blockers.

In today’s game the 340lb run stopper isn’t nearly as coveted. If you have him, he will probably play half as many snaps as your nickel back. 3-4 teams are starting to look more like 4-3 teams just with more versatile edge rushers (guys who can drop into coverage).

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back