Movies you've seen recently II

Old 5/10. I'm always torn by M. Night's movies. Usually its a great concept with just piss poor dialogue and execution. This one epitomizes that to the utmost. It's a great idea and there are moments that are entertaining and well executed...but good lord the dialogue and acting is SO BAD. Like he put in lines in the script as placeholders then forgot to go back and actually write. The last scene is the most laughably bad unnecessary thing I may have ever seen. Worth a watch just so you can laugh at the bad and yet enjoy the ride.

He just needs to tell his ideas to Christopher Nolan.

Cry Macho 5/10. It started strong but the ending left something to be desired. I love Clint Eastwood but he needed to pick someone else to play his part in this one.

Cry Macho 5/10. It started strong but the ending left something to be desired. I love Clint Eastwood but he needed to pick someone else to play his part in this one.

The trailer for this one had me laughing. You have this fragile, 90 year old looking mother fu**** throwing a punch at some young guy. Yeah, really believable 😂
Idk he’s just too old. I can’t even bring myself to watch it.

The trailer for this one had me laughing. You have this fragile, 90 year old looking mother fu**** throwing a punch at some young guy. Yeah, really believable 😂
Idk he’s just too old. I can’t even bring myself to watch it.

Exactly… 91 year old man breaking wild horses…it was too far fetched.

It wasn’t terrible but wait for cable or streaming.

Reactions: 615vols
Malignant: 4/10

Weird and hokey. It was definitely different. It almost reminded me of the cheesy horror movies from the '80s. There was supposed to be a big twist in the end but it wasn't much of a surprise.

(I like the fact that @K-town Vol Fan had such different opinions about it.)

Weird and hokey. It was definitely different. It almost reminded me of the cheesy horror movies from the '80s. There was supposed to be a big twist in the end but it wasn't much of a surprise.

I think that's what they were going for. Most horror movies are bad in general, but if you like horror movies its worth a watch.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
"The sound of Metal". Most movies are trash then something like this comes along. The guy was nominated for best actor. Best picture. Six nominations. 9.8.

The Starling on Netflix. Staring Melissa McCarthy and Chris O'Dowd. It's a solid movie about a couple coping with depression after the loss of a child and trying to heal. It's funny at times and heart warming, but not really a funny movie (though there are some funny scenes) which is surprising given the main actors. For parents who have lost a child, it could be a bit tough to watch though. I give it 6/10 but I won't rewatch it.

Ride the Eagle. Solid cast, starring Jake Johnson (who co-wrote the script), JK Simmons, and Susan Sarandon. A free spirited drummer for a band returns home after his estranged mother's death. She has left him her cabin in her will but only if he can complete a list of tasks she has left for him in an effort to posthumously reconnect and apologize for how she abandoned him at a young age. It can be a bit slow as it is a bit of an artsy movie, but the acting is solid. It's similar in tone to some of Jake Johnson's other starring film roles like Drinking Buddies and Win It All. I give it a 6/10. Solid movie but not really something I feel compelled to rewatch.

Reactions: bignewt and Behr
"The sound of Metal". Most movies are trash then something like this comes along. The guy was nominated for best actor. Best picture. Six nominations. 9.8.

This was the debut movie for the filmmaker and it really is a masterpiece. The topic is a downer but the story moves along at a great pace and the energy is mostly positive for the run-time of the movie. They danced a fine line and made a sad movie that is rewatchable because it's mostly uplifting. I think many filmmakers could learn a lot from...

...how he used her itching to tell the audience something that would have taken 10 minutes of dialog to express. When she was scratching her arm at the beginning, I thought she was jonesing for drugs or something. Then when they have their final conversation in France, you (and he) realize their band/relationship/road life is a cause of deep anxiety for her. They could have hashed this out through conversation/argument taking the audience down bummer street one last time, but nope. That one little bit of non-verbal acting bookending the movie told you everything you need to know succinctly. We all know that they love each other but their life together is not good for her and he's got somewhere else he belongs, and they're both so sad that it's over. We got all of that without a single word and they get to have this sweet breakup and goodbye without any bad feelings. Absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

i thought the reveal was pretty obvious as well.

The Starling on Netflix. Staring Melissa McCarthy and Chris O'Dowd. It's a solid movie about a couple coping with depression after the loss of a child and trying to heal. It's funny at times and heart warming, but not really a funny movie (though there are some funny scenes) which is surprising given the main actors. For parents who have lost a child, it could be a bit tough to watch though. I give it 6/10 but I won't rewatch it.

Ride the Eagle. Solid cast, starring Jake Johnson (who co-wrote the script), JK Simmons, and Susan Sarandon. A free spirited drummer for a band returns home after his estranged mother's death. She has left him her cabin in her will but only if he can complete a list of tasks she has left for him in an effort to posthumously reconnect and apologize for how she abandoned him at a young age. It can be a bit slow as it is a bit of an artsy movie, but the acting is solid. It's similar in tone to some of Jake Johnson's other starring film roles like Drinking Buddies and Win It All. I give it a 6/10. Solid movie but not really something I feel compelled to rewatch.

Never heard of Ride the Eagle. I watched the trailer and I'm interested enough to watch it tonight.

Reactions: Carp
“The Many Saints of Newark”
8/10 Doesn’t primarily focus on the main characters most of us know from the Sopranos which makes it even better IMO. A little bit of a surprise revelation near the end of the movie regarding the death of Christopher’s father which was a major storyline in one episode of the Sopranos. The ending is certainly setup for additional prequel Soprano movies. I can’t wait.

Reactions: 508mikey
Free Guy 8/10 impressive attention to detail a mostly fun romp. Taiki steals the movie he is so damn funny.

Many Saints of Newark 8/10 a must watch for Sopranos fans. Acting superb across the board. Doesn't really break any new ground for the mobster genre but I want more stories from the Sopranos universe.

Free guy was cool for 30 minutes, then I got bored with it and turned it off. I like Reynolds but didn't in this one.

VN Store

Back