Most underrated Vol

MississippiVol

It would probably take me all day to list all of them, but two that always pop into my mind are Nick Jester and Eric Lane. Nick was always a very solid LB for us, and Eric was always a team player. He ran the ball with authority, and always got us the yardage we needed.

Wow that's a tough one. I am gonna have to think about that one.....

I don't think he was the MOST underrated but Travis Stephens never got the recognition that he deserved imo.

Good topic.

Based on his value to the Titans now, Albert Haynesworth could probably be listed as one who was underrated.

Anybody remember Mose Phillips? I loved that guy . . . and he had the perfect name for a fullback.

Mose had some very memorable runs. Usually off of a screen pass. I think it might have been the Notre Dame game that he had that great run off of a screen for a TD. Anybody remember that one?

I'll never forget the 67 yard screenpass Mose caught for a TD against Florida in the pouring rain in 1992. He also had a great catch against South Carolina for a TD the same year. Unfortunately, however, that game was a loss. Another former Vol I thought was underrated was Haskell Stanback. I have seen some video on him, and he was a great RB. I was very surprised when he wasn't included on the Best of the Big Orange Series on the RB tape. I read somewhere where Condredge said both of Haskell's daughters were enrolled at UT now. I wonder if Haskell ever makes it to any of the games now?

Originally posted by MississippiVol@Jul 12, 2004 8:48 AM
I'll never forget the 67 yard screenpass Mose caught for a TD against Florida in the pouring rain in 1992.

That's exactly the play that I was thinking about. There must have been about 3 inches of flowing water on the old artificial turf when he made that run.

I have to add a current Vol, Derek Tinsley. He has done everything that the coaches have asked, produced when called upon (Miami 03) and still does not get the recognition or playing time he deserves.

And with all of the hype surrounding the new talented receivers and Banks, I think Chris Hannon gets ignored sometimes. All he does is make plays.

Originally posted by Volstorm@Jul 18, 2004 3:18 PM
I have to add a current Vol, Derek Tinsley. He has done everything that the coaches have asked, produced when called upon (Miami 03) and still does not get the recognition or playing time he deserves.

And with all of the hype surrounding the new talented receivers and Banks, I think Chris Hannon gets ignored sometimes. All he does is make plays.

Good choice! I guarantee you the coaches will really miss him after he's gone next year.

Mose is a good choice. He had 2 very memorable runs, both off of short passes, and both were in 1992. the first has already been mentioned, against Florida, when he stopped in the end zone to look at watch. LOL

The second was against USC. The guy broke about 100 tackles to get into the end zone, only to see Fulmer collaborate with Majors on one of the worst 2 point conversion play calls ever made, and eventually cost us the game.

That second catch and run would be much more memorable had we pulled that game out somehow.

Another addition to the list could be Tony Thompson. The guy waited around for pt, and made the most of it, capping a great senior season and SEC Championship by scoring the winning td in the Sugar Bowl.

Originally posted by orangetd88@Jul 19, 2004 1:15 PM
Another addition to the list could be Tony Thompson.

Good call. Tony T came out of nowhere and had one of the best seasons ever for a Vol running back.

VN Store

Back