Most underrated Vol football players

Who are the most underrated Vol football players

• Total voters
My vote was for Faulkner, for a little white guy, he was a good player and ALWAYS sacrificed his body for the extra yard.

Someone mentioned Greg Amsler, I'll never forget the 1990 Sugar Bowl when he hurdled the Virginia defender for a FIRST DOWN......

Originally posted by GAVol+Nov 5, 2004 6:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GAVol @ Nov 5, 2004 6:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by allvol@Nov 5, 2004 4:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GAVol
@Nov 5, 2004 3:52 PM
:yikes:

22 catches for 256 yards and only 2 receiving TDs in his career???  Hard to believe that a guy with that much speed could play 4 years and not put up bigger numbers than that.

GAVol, your avatar and this icon :yikes: look eerily similar :blink:

:eek:lol:

That does it&#33; Ric has got to go. [/quote]
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bill Duff comes to mind. Everybody remembers his stop of Eddie George, but he was a solid player for UT.

Also, Chris White comes to mind. All he did was lead the nation in INTs during UTs memorable 1985 season. I think he had 11 (including 2 against Testeverde).

Originally posted by volbrian@Nov 7, 2004 8:34 PM
Bill Duff comes to mind. Everybody remembers his stop of Eddie George, but he was a solid player for UT.

Also, Chris White comes to mind. All he did was lead the nation in INTs during UTs memorable 1985 season. I think he had 11 (including 2 against Testeverde).

Those are a couple of good ones.

Shuler was not underrated while a Vol. Not the biggest passer we&#39;ve had, but a good rounded package. Speed, running ability, etc. May have flopped in NFL, but during that time he was there, what QB did excel under Norv Turner or Mike Ditka for those 2 teams. Had he been somewhere else with a decent chance and decent development, he may still be around as a backup, after a respectable starting stint. Redskins broke him. Benched him every mistake he made.

How about Darryl Dickey? Nothing like taking over for an injured superstar and leading your team to an SEC title and a Sugar Bowl win. That Miami blowout had to be one of the most improbable blowouts in college football history.

Originally posted by GVF@Nov 8, 2004 2:00 PM
Shuler was not underrated while a Vol. Not the biggest passer we&#39;ve had, but a good rounded package. Speed, running ability, etc. May have flopped in NFL, but during that time he was there, what QB did excel under Norv Turner or Mike Ditka for those 2 teams. Had he been somewhere else with a decent chance and decent development, he may still be around as a backup, after a respectable starting stint. Redskins broke him. Benched him every mistake he made.

Well, Shuler (or his agent) didnt endear himself to his teammates after he got drafted. WHile they were in the hot July sun working out, Shular (and his agent) were holding out for more money.

I wouldnt block for somebody who didnt care about my teams success like that, especially my QB.

In contrast, look at Manning. He was studying the Colts playbook the night they drafted him.

I always liked Joey Clinkscales - great over the head catch on a long ball from T-Rob in the Bama game before he (T-Rob) broke his leg. I think he went to the steelers for a while.

Speaking of that game - how about Dale "big play" Jones.

The fullbacks got mentioned - have to agree including Fleming, Amsler, etc.

Who was the running back/full back in the mid - late 80&#39;s - William Fuller? Henderson? I always called him 747 because he always scored when we went to a full house backfield inside the 5 and when he got in the endzone he ran around with his arms outstretched like a kid imitating an airplane. :D

Also liked Andre "non-dairy" Creamer (sp?) DB in the 80&#39;s.

Originally posted by volbrian+Nov 8, 2004 9:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (volbrian &#064; Nov 8, 2004 9:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-GVF@Nov 8, 2004 2:00 PM
Shuler was not underrated while a Vol.  Not the biggest passer we&#39;ve had, but a good rounded package.  Speed, running ability, etc.  May have flopped in NFL, but during that time he was there, what QB did excel under Norv Turner or Mike Ditka for those 2 teams.  Had he been somewhere else with a decent chance and decent development, he may still be around as a backup, after a respectable starting stint.  Redskins broke him.  Benched him every mistake he made.

Well, Shuler (or his agent) didnt endear himself to his teammates after he got drafted. WHile they were in the hot July sun working out, Shular (and his agent) were holding out for more money.

I wouldnt block for somebody who didnt care about my teams success like that, especially my QB.

In contrast, look at Manning. He was studying the Colts playbook the night they drafted him.[/quote]
I have a Shuler - Redskins rookie card (don&#39;t know where I got it since I&#39;m not a collector). It describes him as a "can&#39;t miss pro-prospect" :blink:

Originally posted by volinbham@Nov 8, 2004 11:38 PM
Who was the running back/full back in the mid - late 80&#39;s - William Fuller?  Henderson? 

Wasn&#39;t his name William Howard? I think he played in that lull from about 86-88. I&#39;m pretty sure he holds a record for most consecutive carries.

Originally posted by GAVol+Nov 9, 2004 9:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GAVol @ Nov 9, 2004 9:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-volinbham@Nov 8, 2004 11:38 PM
Who was the running back/full back in the mid - late 80&#39;s - William Fuller?  Henderson? 

Wasn&#39;t his name William Howard? I think he played in that lull from about 86-88. I&#39;m pretty sure he holds a record for most consecutive carries. [/quote]
15 - in - a - row against Ole Miss.

Yep, William Howard. Thanks.

From looking at my choices can you guess when I went to UT :rolleyes:

Noel

He was a monster. I&#39;m surprised more NFL teams didn&#39;t look at him. Well, I guess that&#39;s why this is the underrated list.

VN Store

Back