Most Underachieving Team in Tennessee History

The iriony is that it’s only an underachieving team because they accomplished so much. But yes...a team that rattled off nearly 20 straight wins (hasnt lost at home in nearly 2 years) and held the no1 ranking for 4 straight weeks is surprising to have not won’t the sec outright, tournament, or made it beyond the sweet 16. The team just peaked way too early

Most certainly they did not under-achieve. The expectations just got out of hand with the top 5 ranking, beating #1 Gonzaga then the #1 ranking and 19 game win streak. That makes it seem like they under achieved when actually they were over ranked.

Ok, I can agree with this one. I tried to say this about 6 weeks ago and people thought I was crazy. We were a solid top 20 team, whose schedule set up to make it appear like we were better than that. By that light, they losing in the sweet 16 is about right. But EITHER we were way overrated most of the season, or we we underachieved our ranking. It has to be one or the other.

I gotta say I'm still down about the game, but these guys gave their all for UT. 30+ wins this season is great. My son and I were able to experience a sold out TBA for the 1st time this year. These kids weren't paid or highly recruited, they worked hard and are the definition of a VOL. They did things the right way. They are great role models for my son, every jersey he wears for sports has to be #2. I'm proud of these guys and thankful for the memories !

Reactions: Big time vol
You are crazy. Those teams were awful and only 2 or 3 deep!

And, at the end of those seasons, I was way more disappointed than with this team given they had a 2x NBA All-Star on roster. They only won 13 games his senior season (4 in conference). Pretty rare for an All-Star caliber player to struggle to carry a team to 0.500 in college, especially as a senior.

Cool. Let’s hang a “won 31-games” banner and a “we were ranked #1 at one point in the season” banner right next to it.

Everyone gets a trophy while we’re at it.

I'll sat this op your committed, you are hanging on to your assumptions like a rabid dog on a piece of rotted meat. Be honest though, after all these pages you didn't want someone to change your mind. You just wanted to create a thread where you are the main point of attention.

And, at the end of those seasons, I was way more disappointed than with this team given they had a 2x NBA All-Star on roster. They only won 13 games his senior season (4 in conference). Pretty rare for an All-Star caliber player to struggle to carry a team to 0.500 in college, especially as a senior.
Don't discount who was coach. Your expectations should have never been that high in the first place.

Dude. A Sweet 16 birth for Tennessee Basketball in general is HIGHLY ACCEPTABLE. Now mix that with the fact these guys are all 3 stars who no one really recruited hard, makes it even more epic what they’ve done the past two years. CULTURE AND EXPECTATIONS HAVE OFFICIALLY CHANGED FOR UT MENS BASKETBALL. As evidenced by your expectations and disappointment. No moral victories, all legit.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
We came from 18 points down with 16 minutes to play and a bad call with 2.8 seconds left to force the game into OT plus there Guard with his best game ever, and still could have won the game, THANKS FOR THE RIDE VOLS a bunch of players no one wanted and won 31 games and 1 bad call from going to the elite 8 thats pretty amazing if you ask me. GO VOLS

Is there any sport you aren't wrong about?

Sheesh

A top ten preseason teams only had NIT talent?
Again... your delusions don't make me wrong. You are one of the most intellectually dishonest people I've met on this board... and that's saying a ton. If it weren't for Dobbs4Heisman... I'm not sure I could find a good comparison for you.

This UT Vol basketball team was not filled with high talent blue chip players. It was filled with good players who worked their tails off. It was filled with guys who took their lumps to gain experience. Ultimately, a team like that will falter when they face the quality of teams you see in the later rounds of the NCAA tourney. I could act like they "underachieved" like you apparently believe but that would disrespect the hard work and discipline they showed to get this far.

Reactions: LibertyVolance
Should’ve won the SEC regular season championship. But didn’t.

Should’ve won the SEC tournament. But didn’t.

Should’ve been a final four team. But isn’t.

Likable or not, and we can all agree that they are, when it comes to production this team has to be the most underachieving and disappointing team in Tennessee basketball history.

Change my mind.
Puhleez quit whining! You know this tournament basically nullifies season success. Let it go. The team will be good again next year.

They had a great season.

Why does that preclude them from having a "bad" tourny?

They looked mediocre for long stretches vs Colgate and Iowa and of course the whole 1st half against Purdue.

A good year overall and I'm not mad at them but they chunked away the regular season title, the SEC title and lost in the sweet 16 missing 50% of their free throw and NEVER establishing a dominant inside presence.

I don't get all the vitriolic hate/critique thrown at the Coach of the year and a bunch of guys who clearly love Tennessee(Too many of you are sick and are overly invested emotionally and it really makes you ****** people - you're welcome) but they didn't get it done in the end.

Great season and very proud of the Vols.. Coach Barnes and staff did a wonderful job, taking 3 stars and making them big time 5 star studs. That is called developing players to a much higher level.
Ky, LSU and Auburn has to win tonight to play deeper into the tournament than us.
Give Purdue credit, they made free throws and we didn’t.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Great season and very proud of the Vols.. Coach Barnes and staff did a wonderful job, taking 3 stars and making them big time 5 star studs. That is called developing players to a much higher level.
Ky, LSU and Auburn has to win tonight to play deeper into the tournament than us.

Actually, they’d didn’t shoot FTs too well. I do believe the majority of their misses were by bad FT shooters thou. Biggest Difference was they had 1kid have his career game.

Likable or not, and we can all agree that they are, when it comes to production this team has to be the most underachieving and disappointing team in Tennessee basketball history.

Change my mind.
You're one of them. They have been a class act and overachieved what was expected a few years ago.

Coach Barnes took a bunch of overachieving 3 star players, and underachieved his way to 31 wins.

Reactions: peerless98
I will have to say that regardless of stars, doesn't matter if they are 3,4,or 5 stars. If your team has 3 or 4 legitimate NBA caliber players playing at the same time, then you must win the SEC, SECT, or get to Elite 8 - otherwise you have underachieved immensely. We had Final 4 potential and failed. Because we failed, this is NOT the best all-time team in UT history. You can argue that this team had the best POTENTIAL of any team in UT history, but they still failed when it mattered.

Reactions: k-town_king

Change my mind.
You have forgotten where this team came from.Picked last season to finish 13th out of 14 teams,won the SEC.This year we won more games and finished 2nd to a cheating LSU team.We have a group of guys that play together and try to win every game.I'm very proud of them!

They made 16 out of 33. You are just remembering the last 2 in regulation.

Change my mind.
Barnes teams fade

Change my mind.
Good Lord

VN Store

Back