Most Surprising Vol Win?

volsknx

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
As the thread title asks, what win as a Vol fan were you the most surprised?

My recollection only goes back to the Miami Sugar Bowl but even then I knew it was an upset.

Is it that game or maybe the ‘98 Florida game or perhaps were you surprised in the Fiesta Bowl defeat of Florida State? Maybe the ‘91 Notre Dame game?

I actually have two that I was equally surprised we won more than any other. That Florida State game comes to mind but perhaps just a tad more is the ‘03 Miami win. They were typical Miami and we had just been blown out at home by them the year before. Fulmer was on the decline and not only were we no longer dominant, but, especially for that game, we were playing not to lose. If not for their fumbled punt return towards the end, we may not win that game.

What say ye Volnation? What is your most surprising Vol win?

My recollection only goes back to the Miami Sugar Bowl but even then I knew it was an upset.

Is it that game or maybe the ‘98 Florida game or perhaps were you surprised in the Fiesta Bowl defeat of Florida State? Maybe the ‘91 Notre Dame game?

I actually have two that I was equally surprised we won more than any other. That Florida State game comes to mind but perhaps just a tad more is the ‘03 Miami win. They were typical Miami and we had just been blown out at home by them the year before. Fulmer was on the decline and not only were we no longer dominant, but, especially for that game, we were playing not to lose. If not for their fumbled punt return towards the end, we may not win that game.

In retrospect, though the Miami Sugar Bowl was technically an upset, it was not all that surprising. Miami was overrated, and overconfident. As I remember the coverage leading up to that game, Miami's overconfidence was plain as day. But when the game started, it was clear with every play the Vols wanted it more. Had Tony Robinson not gotten injured, that would have been a national Championship year. Instead Daryl Dickey had to take over in his stead, and played well that day, while Vinny Testaverde, we would learn years later, was color blind. Which might explain some of his errant throws that day and during his pro career. Regardless, the win was not so unexpected, because we knew the Vols were a contention caliber team even if the rest of the world did not.

The surprises for me were both in 98. against Florida and Arkansas. I was at both games, because a buddy of mine who was a season ticket holder had noticed that whenever I went to games with him, the Vols always won. And when I didn't, they often lost. So, my presence, in his superstitious mindset, was required. In both those games, I thought the luck he believed I was carrying had run out. A missed field goal by Florida's Collins Cooper, and Stoerner's fumble and Ratliff's recovery of it meant I still felt lucky. To this day, I still find those two games ending in a win as the most surprising.

Dobb nail boot.

I expect our coaches to put together a game plan that when executed produces the win.

I expect our players to execute the winning game plan well enough to get the win.

I had never seen the Vols execute a Hail Mary for the win.

Surprise, surprise, surprise Sergeant Carter.

Here's an odd one.... 2009 Georgia. The program was pretty much on life support and they came out and beat the living hell out of UGA. I've been surprised before, but the way that game played out was shocking with some of the guys were were forced to play.

Tenneseee - 10. Miami - 6. 2003

I never ever thought we'd come close to winning that game going into it.

For some reason this is the first game that popped into my mind, too. I was into paintball back then and my buddies scheduled us into a tournament up in Washington that weekend. I never wanted to miss a Vol football game, but I remember thinking why subject myself to the misery of watching us lose to the Hurricanes. I couldn't have been more surprised when I heard the score.

Definitely a lot of good ones but for me it has to be the 98 Ark win. I was supremely confident going in we win that game and when Vols lost the ball on downs with about 1.5 minuets left and no timeouts I was crushed at the dream season ending and saw no hope of winning. End of game I was embarrassed at myself for not believing there was a chance.

Although, I was very surprised at the outcome, I have to disagree. After watching the 86 Sugar Bowl over and over again, I am convinced that UT was the better team, by far, and it showed. 35-7 is no upset, brother. That is an ol' fashioned woodshed beating!!
The biggest surprise victory was the Miracle at South Bend. Although I knew we could score on any team(Our offense was the model for efficiency), I didn't ever think that we could dig ourselves out of such a hole (31-7). I believed our offense would get on track. But I didn't think our defense could stop The Irish, in the 2nd half.
Folks always say, "Yeah, well Notre Dame missed a chip shot FG to lose it". But, if you dig deep, and watch the video closely, The ball ricochets off of Jeremey Lincoln's right buttock, and goes wide left. Once again, SEC Speed saves the day.

It's good! No!! It's no good!!

Reactions: krichunaka
A lot of great games in this thread. The 2018 Auburn game was a surprise to me. We hadn't beat an sec west team in a while. I know Auburn wasn't ranked in the top 5 or anything. But I had hope that we were finally turning the corner. Sorry if this game doesn't blow everyone's mind, but it was a game where I thought finally.

Last edited:
A lot of great games in this thread. The 2018 Auburn game was a surprise to me. We hadn't beat an sec west team in a while. I know Auburn wasn't ranked in the top 5 or anything. But I had hope that we were finally turning the corner. Sorry if this game doesn't blow everyone's mind, but it was a game where I thought finally.
Same, 99% of us had that one marked as a L but we won away and with JG as qb no less lol.

One that hasn't been mentioned, but it changed the course of Tennessee football in the '90s:

September 12, 1992

Tennessee 34
@Georgia 31

Georgia was ranked #14 and we had a very young team and an interim head coach. Expectations were pretty low before the season... but then we saw how good Heath Shuler was. Also, Georgia had 6 turnovers.

VN Store

Back