• ‘96 Memphis State

Votes: 92 41.1%
  • ‘01 LSU

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like I said, that game was utterly shocking...The 2001 SEC Championship probably hurt more because of the bowl implications, (although LSU might have saved y'all from a terrible fate) but that was a surging LSU team coached by Nick Saban and the Georgia State game, while still terrible, was an average team losing to a 7 win bowl team...That Memphis game was absolutely mind boggling.
Completely agree. Georgia State wasn’t very good, but they were a lot better than people give them credit for. Memphis State was 3-6 coming into our game in 96 and lost by double digits to East Carolina the next week. They were awful and we were loaded.

At Memphis State, we still looked like a football team but, everything went wrong for us and right for them.
The Georgia State game we looked like a pee wee football team at best. On Defense, we didn't know how line up, who we were supposed to block, and were just winging it on offense. We deserved that loss from lack of preparation.

Last edited:
Interesting (I should say Most Surprising) result. I wasn't one bit surprised when they lost to Georgia State. They outplayed us. There's no comparison.

I’m always going to say 1979 vs Rutgers

Memphis is second........

2001 SECCG vs LSU. I don't think people realize how much of a high we were on after beating UF in Gainesville the week prior. Potential top 10 draft picks on their way to the BCS Championship Game and lose to a bunch of no names.

I’m always going to say 1979 vs Rutgers

Memphis is second........

I was there in 79. They completely overlooked Rutgers, and were thinking about the Notre Dame game one week too early. Way too many stupid turnovers that day. And after they beat Notre Dame, they go down to Jackson and get blown out by Old Piss.

Reactions: peaygolf
I was there in 79. They completely overlooked Rutgers, and were thinking about the Notre Dame game one week too early. Way too many stupid turnovers that day.
My uncle was a Law Professor at Rutgers at the time. He came down and went to the game with my parents. He STILL talks about it when we see him........:mad:

It isn't the most surprising, but an out-of-nowhere loss that gets easily overlooked is 1999 Arkansas. They weren't a bad team (finished 8-4), and it was in Fayetteville, and of course they took us down to the wire the year before, but we were #3 in the country and absolutely rolling coming into that game. I was just a kid and remember being totally floored when we lost that game.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
It isn't the most surprising, but an out-of-nowhere loss that gets easily overlooked is 1999 Arkansas. They weren't a bad team (finished 8-4), and it was in Fayetteville, and of course they took us down to the wire the year before, but we were #3 in the country and absolutely rolling coming into that game. I was just a kid and remember being totally floored when we lost that game.
To me, that game was when Fulmer completely turned into Majors. You could always count on both of them to lose to a mediocre team that they were favored to win!

I hate squib kicks as a general matter.
Yea. I hate them. The only purpose they really serve imo is if there is little to no time remaining in the 2nd/4th quarter. Enough for the offense to run one hail mary or something at the most. If there's enough time to run a few plays then don't squib it. There was still almost 1 minute left in the game. It's just free field position.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
No way in Hell Memphis should've even been close. Should've been a damn blowout!! I still can't figure out what the Hell happened, even to this day!!

That would have not been a loss in today's review. The replay showed the knee down when the Tiger returned the kickoff for a TD. There were replays then and everybody knew he was down except for the refs and the call or no call on the field in those days stood no matter what.
Should have never been that close anyway.

Reactions: kbear01
The '90 Alabama game. Bama was pretty bad, and we were pretty loaded. After that game, no UT loss ever surprised me again.

Wyoming & Kentucky (with Doolander)

If the Kentucky loss under Dooley is not considered one of the most surprising losses of all time, it has to go down as the worst coached game in history. Everyone in the world knew Kentucky was not going to throw the ball, yet every play our coaching staff had our defense lined up like they had a 7* QB instead of a WR imitating a QB. I would have fired Dooley on the spot after that game.

Reactions: 508mikey
As we walked into the Liberty Bowl, my 7 year old son asked "what if we lose to Memphis dad?" I laughed and said there is no way that's happening son. Three hours later, I am trying to explain the impossible.

The Memphis loss in 96😡with all the talent on the Vols this game should have been a 3 touchdown game atleast”I blame this embarrassment on Coach Fulmer and Coach Cutcliffe!!!!!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
That would have not been a loss in today's review. The replay showed the knee down when the Tiger returned the kickoff for a TD. There were replays then and everybody knew he was down except for the refs and the call or no call on the field in those days stood no matter what.
Should have never been that close anyway.
Absolutely. Should not have been close, at all.

VN Store

Back