Most likely upset?

Proud Army Wife

My apologies if this has been asked before. Didn't see anything on it. Out of the big 4 games between OU, FL, Bama, and UGA, which do we upset and why?
My pick is OU. Don't care that it's in Norman. Here's why...Its early in the season and the first power5 team their 5* freshman QB will face. (We have our own btw), and their defense is trash. Next comes FL whom everyone says out-talents us but it's really not by much. We don't get blown out in this game like years past, but they've got Trask and a good defense. Bye week after that then Bama at home. Again, we'll give them a run for their money, but they just ultimately out-talent us. Finally, we've got UGA. I think Newnan is overrated. Will it be a blow-out like years past? No but they've got the best defense in the country. Thoughts?

I definitely think Oklahoma is most likely of those 4. This is the first season in a long time where I can realistically see us compete in all of those big SEC games though. I think besides Oklahoma, Georgia is our best chance. If they have qb struggles this season we could keep it a low scoring game, and it would only take a couple of breaks for us to win.

I definitely think Oklahoma is most likely of those 4. This is the first season in a long time where I can realistically see us compete in all of those big SEC games though. I think besides Oklahoma, Georgia is our best chance. If they have qb struggles this season we could keep it a low scoring game, and it would only take a couple of breaks for us to win.
Good point.

Oklahoma
I think this is our best chance, they have lost Hurts, Lamb and Murray which are huge chunks of their production from 2019 and they (Big 12) got completely pushed around by LSU (SEC play defense as well) and Pruitt is building a stifling defense. Finally Rattler is unproven so I think that this is a real opportunity.

Georgia
We tend to perform quite well against this lot and from all accounts Pruitt and Smart really don't get on (I think an upset is more likely when its personal). On a more practical point they have 2 returning starters on Offense and only 1 O lineman returning (Cades` transfer had two positives), considering our team this year is set up to control the line of scrimmage, we will pound the rock all day.

Florida
I know they aren't as great as some portray but sometimes in sport you just cant get the brakes against certain teams (Kentucky probably cant believe after finally getting a good team they still cant touch us). I have been burnt too many times predicting "this is the year"

Alabama
Whereas I believe we will now be competitive against anybody and this is at Neyland, I still think this is the hardest match.

Super question.

And how nice, how refreshing, that all four games can realistically be considered potential upsets. A sign that perhaps we are finally clawing our way out of the pit of the Dark Ages.

Freaky flashback. I've said that before. In 2015 and 2016, said almost exactly the same thing. In fact, in 2015 I said it about precisely the same four teams: Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, Alabama. Kind of eerie, actually, when you think about it.

But it was true back then. We could have beaten Oklahoma in 2015, and almost did. We could and did beat Georgia--both years. We could and did beat Florida in 2016. And we came tantalizingly close to beating Bama in 2015, as well.

It was true then, and it's true now. We have the talent in place today--esp. in the defensive backfield and offensive line, two key position groups that can leverage an entire team into greatness--to start winning the hard games on the calendar. Just as important, we have the coaching talent in place to take full advantage of what the lads on the field can give. One has the distinct impression we won't squander our advantages this year the way we did when we lost to Arkansas, A&M, South Carolina, and Vandy in 2015-2016.

We won't win all four of our toughest 2020 matches, no. But we can win any of the four, and perhaps more than one.

I'll go with Oklahoma. We'll march into Norman and beat them in a tough, hard-fought game. The Oklahoma fans will have plenty of excuses after the match, like their team having started practice a full month later than ours, and the home field advantage being lost because of covid-19 spacing in the stands. Sure, they'll have excuses. But we'll have the 'W'. Sweet revenge for 2015.

On top of Oklahoma, I think we have a chance at taking down one of the others. I guess our strengths match up best against Georgia, but that's the one away game of the bunch. So...tough to say. It is possible we go 0-3 against our top rivals, but that won't happen if this is Jeremy's prove-it year. And I think it is.

So I'm going to say we split these four games 2-2, without being able to name the 2nd win.

Not to say I think we'll go 10-2 in the regular season, there's a real possibility we lose one we should win and end up 9-3.

But if we play the 2020 season in its entirety this fall, I think we upset two of the four top challenges on our dance card.

Go Vols, and thanks for the interesting thread!

Last edited:
My apologies if this has been asked before. Didn't see anything on it. Out of the big 4 games between OU, FL, Bama, and UGA, which do we upset and why?
My pick is OU. Don't care that it's in Norman. Here's why...Its early in the season and the first power5 team their 5* freshman QB will face. (We have our own btw), and their defense is trash. Next comes FL whom everyone says out-talents us but it's really not by much. We don't get blown out in this game like years past, but they've got Trask and a good defense. Bye week after that then Bama at home. Again, we'll give them a run for their money, but they just ultimately out-talent us. Finally, we've got UGA. I think Newnan is overrated. Will it be a blow-out like years past? No but they've got the best defense in the country. Thoughts?
We win all but Bama, but meet them in rematch in SEC CG and take them to the wood shed, only to be told after the game that our season doesn't count because no one on UT team ever got covid, and ncaa thinking we're cheating...only to find out that asparagus and cornbread is a magic combination.

I think we show a pulse in September and beat Florida.

I think we lose a game (USCe) that most think we should win as well

All Trash can throw Accurately is that quick seam over the middle. Take that away and he becomes very average. I’m sure Pruitt Ansley And co will have an answer for his game and create a few turnovers against him this year.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I would say OU based off the timing of the game and the fact that they dnt even bring a defense with them on the way to the stadium. At the same time i hate fla so much that my heart says we beat them for no other reason then i hate them. Kinda feels like OU, uga, & Bama are all vulnerable but im going with fla.

I think we show a pulse in September and beat Florida.

I think we lose a game (USCe) that most think we should win as well
And possibly KY and Missouri
We are not to the point of playing with the big boys. I hope we do not get blown out by 4 plus scores.
I think we still need a few more years of beating the mid pack SEC teams before we take a step to the BIGS.
Under CJP our talent level has improved, but to win championships we must have more talent, depth and development. That takes time, we celebrated beating Vandy and SC last year which is not an indication of a team capable of beating the elite teams.

And possibly KY and Missouri
We are not to the point of playing with the big boys. I hope we do not get blown out by 4 plus scores.
I think we still need a few more years of beating the mid pack SEC teams before we take a step to the BIGS.
Under CJP our talent level has improved, but to win championships we must have more talent, depth and development. That takes time, we celebrated beating Vandy and SC last year which is not an indication of a team capable of beating the elite teams.

The coaching gap between us and UF has been much wider than the talent gap the past 2 years. If we narrow that gap, get home field, plus a break or 2...I think that's the most obvious spot for an upset...

The correct answer is Oklahoma. Under Riley, their offense will always be potent, but Pruitt's focus on defense will keep us within striking distance. The question is whether or not we can score on them and I think we can. Oklahoma will have the worst defense by far of those 4 teams. It might be on the road but it's clearly our best shot at pulling off an upset.

I think Georgia being in November makes it the second most likely as we typically catch them early in the year when we're working through our growing pains.

I think we can compete with Florida and Alabama, but I just don't have any faith that we will beat them quite yet.

Pretty weird that the two road games seem like easier upsets than the home games, but that's just how I see it.

I believe Florida is our best chance this year because it is at home. We also have a longshot at Bama. Bama has 6 straight before us and we have a bye. Anything is possible.

Reactions: Freak
Won't be an upset. We are beating Oklahoma and Florida and possibly ending the Bummer streak this year. The vibe around this team is way to high right now. Strength will be both lines of scrimmage! Outstanding depth everywhere and JG has 2 yrs now with same OC which will be huge for him. If he falls on his ass then Bailey will be there to step in for sure or proven commodity from Maryland. We are set for a run this year.

1. Florida(despite them having our mojo)
Closest in talent, not a Mullen fan

2.Georgia
We sometimes play them above our heads, Dogs choke and puke at least one game a year.

3. Alabama
Wee Little Nickey on the decline, still has the best roster money can buy,

4. Oklahoma
Long way from Knoxville
No way our offense can keep up

Last edited:
1. Florida(despite them having our mojo)
Closest in talent, not a Mullen fan

2.Georgia
We sometimes play them above our heads, Dogs choke and puke at least one game a year.

3. Alabama
Wee Little Nickey on the decline, still has the best roster money can buy,

4. Oklahoma
Long way from Knoxville
No way our offense can keep up
Our defense will maintain their offense with a new QB and very little practice.

VN Store

Back