Most "Famous" SEC football players

he‘s probably the most well known individual who is a former SEC player to those who don’t care a thing about sports.
I don't think so. The only place I ever see him is on sports channels. ESPN, SEC-N, etc. There was a brief period where he was beyond the sports world. It didn't last long. Maybe 6 months or a year.

He doesn't have the outside-sports reach of Joe Namath (even today) or Peyton Manning. For sure. But he is #3 on my version of this list. My wife knows who he is.

I don't think so. The only place I ever see him is on sports channels. ESPN, SEC-N, etc. There was a brief period where he was beyond the sports world. It didn't last long. Maybe 6 months or a year.

He doesn't have the outside-sports reach of Joe Namath (even today) or Peyton Manning. For sure. But he is #3 on my version of this list. My wife knows who he is.

I mentioned “outside of sports” and you mention a bunch of sports related things.

Think Jesus

Reactions: TrueOrange
They call Brandon Burlsworth "Brian" under honorable mention. Presumably, his fame is because of the Netflix movie. Although, I still don't think he is that famous.

Reactions: BlackLabelVols
He was a really good college player, actually. He was the 31st player taken in the 1936 draft, which would be equivalent to a 1st round pick today.
So with 9 teams in the 1936 draft he went in the 4 th round and I stand correctEd, there were only 81 picks not 100 and 9 rounds. So on the percentage basis he was in the bottom 25% of the top half. See I did it again...
There are 32 picks in each round in the modern draft. No spin required.
So your spin is with only 81 players to draft (From 1936) but your gonna give him 32 teams who have to select (from 2019) someone So we are only gonna have less than 3 players drafted by each team? That not even fruit that’s apples and potatoes. So modern era he’s a first rounder and will never play a down in the NFL... ok.
I've been helping my daughter with common core math. I've been thinking how the the concepts could not be more non-sensical. Then I saw your attempt at math, and now common core doesn't seem so bad.
Maybe my ridiculous math spin making fun of your ridiculous math missed but I do enjoy some of Your posts...

I wasn’t good with Algebra type math but I did ace statistics and close to a minor in it in college and I can make/ spin numbers any way I want to make a point. Obviously you have trouble with understanding Humor and common core lol. He was a good college player and great coach but your NFL draft analogy is laughable as was my math using your “No spin” attempt. Have a great day.

Truthfully, the premise for this article is, in my opinion, flawed for a number of reasons. Relative ranking on this list is predicated, in part, to a matter of pure exposure. Televised accessibility is infinitely greater today than it was even 40 years ago, so it can be argued that athletes achieve a greater level of fame or notoriety, as the case may be, than would have been possible in the past.

If this article was about “10 most famous players in the Big Ten,” most people probably would not include Red Grange. However, his decision, as a former All-American at Illinois, to play professional football instantly gave the NFL a degree of credibility that it had not possessed in the past. So, such a list without his inclusion, would be indefensible.

Call me a traditionalist, but reference to “most famous players” really should indicate fame achieved as a player, as opposed to fame achieved as a result of ancillary off-the-field accomplishments. Because of his sense of humor, unique broadcasting style, and appearance in movies, Bob Uecker definitely achieved a degree of fame, but nobody would construe his .200 batting average in the major leagues as noteworthy.
It's a silly list by a not-very-serious site. If they did a most famous list of all college football players, OJ Simpson would probably be #1. Puke.

Reactions: BlackLabelVols
So with 9 teams in the 1936 draft he went in the 4 th round and I stand correctEd, there were only 81 picks not 100 and 9 rounds. So on the percentage basis he was in the bottom 25% of the top half. See I did it again...

So your spin is with only 81 players to draft (From 1936) but your gonna give him 32 teams who have to select (from 2019) someone So we are only gonna have less than 3 players drafted by each team? That not even fruit that’s apples and potatoes. So modern era he’s a first rounder and will never play a down in the NFL... ok.

Maybe my ridiculous math spin making fun of your ridiculous math missed but I do enjoy some of Your posts...

I wasn’t good with Algebra type math but I did ace statistics and close to a minor in it in college and I can make/ spin numbers any way I want to make a point. Obviously you have trouble with understanding Humor and common core lol. He was a good college player and great coach but your NFL draft analogy is laughable as was my math using your “No spin” attempt. Have a great day.

The issue is that there's no math required, at all.

Your attempt at extrapolation requires assuming that, had there been more than 81 picks in 1936, Bryant would not have been the 31st pick overall. So you are basing all of your math, and thus all of your conclusions, on an assumption that you cannot make. They weren't limited to 81 players from which to pick, they were limited to 81 total picks. Nothing prevented the 9 teams from taking anyone else before Bryant. The only limitation was that they couldn't take anyone after pick 81, which is irrelevant to Bryant because he went 50 picks earlier.

Instead, if there had been 224 picks available in 1936 (not counting compensatory picks), the first undrafted guy would have gone at 82, the second at 83, and so on. The number of teams doesn't matter. The total number of picks doesn't matter. What matters is at which overall pick the player was selected.

Last edited:
And that my friend is the definition of a spin! Take some bull crap stat and convert it to make your player, politician, or team look better. 31 out 100 players selected is the bottom of the top 1/3rd no even close to “first round” like bamawriter was attempting illustrate. Out of the 256 in the modern draft that 31 equates to About pick number 85 so late third rd.
There is a reason he refused to respond to my post.
I get that he's a Bama guy, but have some common sense.

The issue is that there's no math required, at all.

Your attempt at extrapolation requires assuming that, had there been more than 81 picks in 1936, Bryant would not have been the 31st pick overall. So you are basing all of your math, and thus all of your conclusions, on an assumption that you cannot make. They weren't limited to 81 players from which to pick, they were limited to 81 total picks. Nothing prevented the 9 teams from taking anyone else before Bryant. The only limitation was that they couldn't take anyone after pick 81, which is irrelevant to Bryant because he went 50 picks earlier.

Instead, if there had been 224 picks available in 1936 (not counting compensatory picks), the first undrafted guy would have gone at 82, the second at 83, and so on. The number of teams doesn't matter. The total number of picks doesn't matter. What matters is at which overall pick the player was selected.

Now you are the one assuming. So if we add the extra picks in 1931, you just assume the extra would be picked bat 82 and later. So none of the extra added players would have a chance of being drafted ahead of #31?
Sometimes it's ok to just own up to bias for the reason for your inaccurate post. We all do it...my glasses are orange. Yours are crimson. Only difference is that mine are translucent and yours are blinding.

PS: and I agree...the common core math they are teaching our kids is utter garbage.

For right or wrong, I think OBJ needs to be on this list. That may change is 3 years, but for now I‘d say he is on it.

Now you are the one assuming. So if we add the extra picks in 1931, you just assume the extra would be picked bat 82 and later. So none of the extra added players would have a chance of being drafted ahead of #31?

You wouldn't be adding players, you would be adding picks. There were more than 81 players available to be picked in 1936, just like there were more than 255 players available in 2020.

Your argument assumes that, had there been more than 81 picks, Undrafted Player X might have gone somewhere between picks 1 and 31, rather than pick 82 or later.

Would you also make the argument that, had there been 500 picks in the 2020 draft, previously undrafted Daniel Bituli might have gone at pick 120? That's essentially what you're saying about undrafted guys possibly going ahead of Bryant.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even have Namath as a top 10 and Bear never played college ball or stood out as a college player. If you are going to list a coach then Woody Hayes punching player from other team is tops.

Manziel, Whitten, Oher, Aikmen, OJ, Seau, Bozworth all would have been better selections. Many for the wrong reasons though.
Aikman, OJ, Seau, & Boz werent SEC players

You wouldn't be adding players, you would be adding picks. There were more than 81 players available to be picked in 1936, just like there were more than 255 players available in 2020.

Your argument assumes that, had there been more than 81 picks, Undrafted Player X might have gone somewhere between picks 1 and 31, rather than pick 82 or higher.

Would you also make the argument that, had there been 500 picks in the 2020 draft, previously undrafted Daniel Bituli might have gone at pick 120? That's essentially what you're saying about undrafted guys possibly going ahead of Bryant.

No, I'm implying if there were more than a couple hundred available players (not picks), that it's very likely he would have gone much later. It's about percentages, not the actual number. More available drafts means more competition.

31 out of 200 available players is top 15% roughly.

31 out of 1000 available players is top 3% roughly.

I'm just using rough numbers for example, but you get the point.

Top 15% is solid, but it does not equal top 3%.

I am top 3 in regards to reps at my job. Out of 25.
But if my team expanded to 100, I very easily could be bumped down because there is much more competition.

No, I'm implying if there were more than a couple hundred available players (not picks),

There were way more than a couple of hundred available players. There were more than 150 schools playing major college football at the time and I don't know how many more schools playing in the smaller conferences. In total there were more schools playing football in the 30s than there are today, since football was a much cheaper sport at that time. NFL teams could pick anyone whose varsity eligibility had expired.

If the error in your logic is that you were unaware of how many players were eligible to be drafted, then I guess I see your point. Otherwise it seems like your argument is "well, what if a bunch of players that didn't exist suddenly sprung into existence, and instead of hundreds of available players there were thousands?" Either way, you're still wrong.

Last edited:
There were way more than a couple of hundred available players. There were more than 150 schools playing major college football at the time and I don't know how many more schools playing in the smaller conferences. In total there were more schools playing football in the 30s than there are today, since football was a much cheaper sport at that time. NFL teams could pick anyone whose varsity eligibility had expired.

If the error in your logic is that you were unaware of how many players were eligible to be drafted, then I guess I see your point. Otherwise it seems like your argument is "well, what if a bunch of players that didn't exist suddenly sprung into existence, and instead of hundreds of available players there were thousands?" Either way, you're still wrong.
If you want to go that route, the NFL isnt restricted to only drafting/signing NCAA football players. According to one site, approximately 3500 total players would be eligible for the draft. And these are the ones who actually played football. If we are going down the hypothetical road to fit your biased spin, you could toss in any untold number of other athletes who could be drafted. Heck, even Carl Lewis was drafted.
So, spin it how you like...you are still wrong.

Peyton Manning came in 2nd in the Heisman race. But that's the equivalent of winning it today.

See what I did there?

If you want to go that route, the NFL isnt restricted to only drafting/signing NCAA football players. According to one site, approximately 3500 total players would be eligible for the draft. And these are the ones who actually played football. If we are going down the hypothetical road to fit your biased spin, you could toss in any untold number of other athletes who could be drafted. Heck, even Carl Lewis was drafted.

Well, no. That's the argument you've been making the whole time: what if there were more players?

My argument has been that the total number of available players is completely irrelevant. It was way more than the number of total picks, and the teams could have taken any of those players at any point had they chosen to do so. What matters is the pick with which Bryant was drafted.

Peyton Manning came in 2nd in the Heisman race. But that's the equivalent of winning it today.

They currently give the Heisman to the guy that came in 2nd?

See what I did there?

Yes, you went from an incorrect argument to a stupid argument.

Well, no. That's the argument you've been making the whole time: what if there were more players?

My argument has been that the total number of available players is completely irrelevant. It was way more than the number of total picks, and the teams could have taken any of those players at any point had they chosen to do so. What matters is the pick with which Bryant was drafted.

They currently give the Heisman to the guy that came in 2nd?

Yes, you went from an incorrect argument to a stupid argument.
Do they give first round draft status to players who were drafted in the 4th round now?
Keep spinning....you have to be getting dizzy. I can see you don't like losing debates. Nobody does. But humility is what distinguishes reputable writers from....well ...bammer writers.

Doesn't surprise me that a bammer is rewriting history to make one of their brethren appear greater than he was. Why stop at fictitious national titles, let's rewrite the draft status of all Bama players too.

Freddie 'I Love The' Kitchens is an NFL Hall of Famer

Do they give first round draft status to players who were drafted in the 4th round now?

Nope.

Is the number 31 pick currently a first rounder? It wasn't in 1936, but is it today?

Keep spinning....you have to be getting dizzy. I can see you don't like losing debates. Nobody does. But humility is what distinguishes reputable writers from....well ...bammer writers.

I'll give you credit. You're completely wrong, but you lack all doubt. That's kind of admirable.

Nope.

Is the number 31 pick currently a first rounder? It wasn't in 1936, but is it today?

I'll give you credit. You're completely wrong, but you lack all doubt. That's kind of admirable.

A number 31 pick is a first rounder.....today. was it in 1936? Doesn't change that your hero was not a first rounder. It's remarkable that you can't figure that out.

Thanks for the admiration. But no thanks. Admiration from a Bammer is second in worth only to the pile of turds in a toilet after a Chinese buffet.

VN Store

Back