Most exhilarating sports moment?

there'll never be a day better than that October weekend in Tuscaloosa when I slipped away from co-workers and enjoyed every 15 minutes or so and savored a Major blank you tide in 1982

Reactions: peaygolf
Watching the man in black Dale sr. win the first and only NASCAR race I have ever been to. I was a huge #3 fan and the spring race at Bristol in 94 will never be forgotten. To me racing died the day he did at Daytona
I was thinking about the time he finally won the Daytona 500 after 20 years of trying and every person from every crew lined up on pit road to congradulate him as he was coming down pit road heading for victory lane.

First time in Neyland in 1968 as a 12 year old watching the Vols destroy UCLA.
Sugar Bowl in 1986.
National champs in 1998.
Game 6 of the 2011 WS at Busch watching David Freese bring the Cards back from the brink then homer for the win in extra innings. Best BB game I ever witnessed in person.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Saw future nba hall of famer Adrian Dantley play ball for DeMatha Catholic H.S. vs Springbrook H.S. in Md in 1971. It was obvious he was future pro all star (6x) and HOF (2008.)

Reactions: ArdentVol
In contrast to the most heartbreaking moment, what moment still gives you goosebumps... or makes you cry?

For me... with zero doubt it is the Miracle on Ice...

Being at the VOLS National championship is a close second
1.) 98 NC
2.) 2005 ChiSox win the Series
3.) 4th and 21 Clausen to Fayton in Tuscaloosa to go to overtime and eventually win in 5OT
4.) 08 Olympics Phelps and friends win medley against the French for Phelps’ 8th gold

That is a great golf picture... I LOVE this one though...

iu

I’ve always been a Dodgers fan, so when K Gibson homered for a walk off World Series win I jumped so high I broke the chandelier in our living room.
Started keeping up with the Dodgers when the Senators traded Claude Osteen in mid 60s.My dad knew his mother in law when he was stationed at Walter Reed Hospital picked her up on the way for work. Watched him pitch for the Senators a number of times. Opening day pitcher who usually got a least one of the few hits they got.Glad he finally got to pitch for a team that was not perennially sub .500. He was a Tn. native from Caney Sprng btw.

Dave Wottle come from way behind victory in the 1972 Olympics.

Fabulous race. I saw a recent interview with him and he was asked about his strategy to stay back the first lap. He said it was no strategy, that they ran the first 200 so fast he simply couldn’t keep up. He then said that fortunately they slowed down.

My son lost his left eye when he was 9. Being able to see him play a game of baseball less than 1 year later made me into putty. Even though I was his coach and knew he had put in the work to play again, him actually doing it and having the courage to compete with other children, with no security net, set off my tuning fork!

In person:
'04 UT-UF
'16 UT-UF
Dobbnail boot
'07 UTBB over UF (Lofton/Bradshaw)

Obviously, the '98 Championship (TV) will always be special. Stepping through the entrance into Bristol and seeing the magnitude of that crowd was incredible. Watching Tiger complete his remarkable comeback with his win at the Majors (TV) really caught me off guard.

In contrast to the most heartbreaking moment, what moment still gives you goosebumps... or makes you cry?

For me... with zero doubt it is the Miracle on Ice...

Being at the VOLS National championship is a close second

I lived in Scottsdale from 1996-2011, so Sun Devil Stadium was 25 minutes from my home for the BCS Championship ...shortest trip I EVER made to get to a UT game. #4 moment for me.

I was in South Bend for the Miracle game. They gave out commemorative posters at the stadium upon entry. I sent mine to the UT Athletic Dept. with a letter asking Coach Majors to sign it. About a month later a cardboard cylinder arrived with the poster and CJM had written on the corner of it: “Ken—-we were there! Johnny Majors”. Had it framed, of course. #3 moment for me. (My wife and I divorced in 2005–and SHE has the poster and will not let me have it.)

My (then) wife, son, two daughters and I drove to New Orleans for the ‘86 Sugar Bowl. Loud, loud, loud. We outnumbered Miami fans 65,000 to 5,000 (maybe)...uber home game environment. My ears were still “ringing” the next day...like having been to a rock concert. #2 moment for me.

#1 moment: “No—sir—ee.“ (The most jubilation I’ve ever seen and loudest noise I’ve ever heard in Neyland.)

Greatest non-Vol moment: while living in AZ, I became a huge D’Backs fan...season tickets, etc. One daughter and my son lived there, too, after graduating from college, and I alternated attending games with them. My son and I went to 3 of the 4 World Series games in PHX against the Yankees in 2001, including game 7. White pompoms were given to every fan. Incredible visual with 50,000+ shaking them to the music of We Will Rock You...When Luis Gonzalez got the game winning hit off Rivera in the bottom of the ninth, I have to admit: my son and I literally cried for joy.

I’ve been very blessed during my life when it comes to games attended and experiences had. I hope you don’t mind my sharing.

Possibly TMI.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
First time in Neyland in 1968 as a 12 year old watching the Vols destroy UCLA.
Sugar Bowl in 1986.
National champs in 1998.
Game 6 of the 2011 WS at Busch watching David Freese bring the Cards back from the brink then homer for the win in extra innings. Best BB game I ever witnessed in person.

my son and his wife were in Busch for that series, and i' still jealous
I

I have been a card fan since the mid-60s

Landon Donavan's match winning goal against Algeria in 2010 (The Twelve Second Miracle).

2004 Wilhoit FG against Florida.

Aguero's goal to win the BPL for Manchester City in 2012. Best announcing call ever: agueROOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

You got turned around or lost bud this is the football forum not futbol... It's okay I can see where the confusion could come from.

Doug Williams 2nd quarter performance vs the Broncos in that superbowl. The Intimidator finally winning the Daytona 500. Kirk Gibson's homerun vs the A's in that world series in '88. Marcus Allen's amazing run in the superbowl vs Washington back in the day was pretty special too. Gotta throw in the Vols beating Miami in the sugarbowl way back when.

My first ever trip to Neyland! It was 1990 and I had never been to a game before. A kid playing on a decent HS football team. Dale Carter caught the second half kickoff and when he got to da fitty, that place erupted! Sounded like an airplane taking off! We were in the upper deck and I literally thought the stadium was going to collapse!

Nothing since has come close!

Oh, I saw Andy Kelly and some of the other players outside of Gibbs Hall and he nodded at me. Been hooked every since!

VN Store

Back