Most exhilarating sports moment?

Part of what made the Wilhoit moment so great was that it felt like everyone was pulling for Wilhoit personally because he’d missed the XP. Miss that 50 yarder and the XP looms in the back of his mind for the rest of his life. Make it and he’s a hero. I’d never wanted an individual to succeed for himself so bad in my life.

In contrast to the most heartbreaking moment, what moment still gives you goosebumps... or makes you cry?

For me... with zero doubt it is the Miracle on Ice...

Being at the VOLS National championship is a close second

In person events...

Super Bowl 1....Walking through the tunnel with the Green Bay Packers ....but it wasn't called Superbowl that day... maybe a day after or couple of days after...

Ruben Olivares - David Kotay fight at the Forum in LA...not just the official match but the place erupted into a free for all after the decision was announced...fists, tequila bottles and folding chairs flying........went on for at least 30-45 minutes ...LA cops notorious for being big guys just stepped back...many one on one fights in the ring after the posts and ropes were pulled down....two guys at a time fighting (boxing only) until one guy (obviously a trained boxer) entered the ring and knocked out about 6 or 8 guys in a row......one at a time ....riot ended after that

Last edited:
1971 my team, Piedmont, finally beat out Whitesburg for the Rocket City Swim League championship. We had finished second to them since the formation of the league in 1965.

what part of huntsville did piedmont represent.
moved to huntsville in 72 to work for Times

1986 Sugar Bowl. Went to the game with my wife. I lived in Baton Rouge then. We both came home (she didn’t care a bit for football) and we rewatched the entire game again on tape on our vcr. Didn’t go to bed until about 4am.

You missed a great party. The night before my wife and I were at Antoine's having dinner, Johnny and Jimmy Johnson were at the next table with their wives. I bought them a round of drinks, like they needed another round, and Johnny invited us over to his table. We only stayed for introductions but I always admired Coach Majors for his gracious invitation.

🤔 1982! Okinawa Japan, superbowl party, Dorm Party I was on duty as CQ girlfriend came by so we knocked boots in the broom closet 🤣 Yep! Most exhilarating sports moment.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Living in Augusta and growing up with Tiger becoming a superstar, along with going to the tournament every year, seeing him come back at the 2018 Tour Championship (the walk up 18) then winning the 2019 Masters was awesome to see.

1986 Sugar Bowl - Thrilling Trouncing of highly favored hurricanes with Vinny and Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy Johnson in pregame interview said they deserved to be national champs ... already counting a win of the Big Orange.
1980 Miracle on Ice - Thrilling victories over highly favored opponents by what amounted to college guys whipping hard core professionals. (Cold war environment also made it sweeter)
1985 Winston 500 Talladega - Bill Elliot averages over 200 MPH, makes up almost 2 laps (almost 5 miles) under green after on oil line popped off. (* a caution after making up the laps under green did eventually let him get back in pit stop sequence and allow him to remain in the lead lap)

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Terry Porter jumps Peyton’s route for game-clinching pick six in Super Bowl 44. I seriously thought the Lord was going to show up and call us all home.

January 4, 1999 - Martin to Price for 79 yards and football glory.

Hearing Pruitt had been fired with cause!!!

#1 Showing my age but in 6th grade the teacher let us listen to game 7 of the World Series, 1960, game was back and forth and Bill Mazeroski hit home run in bottom of 9th to beat the mighty Mantle/Maris/Ford etc. Yankees.

Hearing Pruitt had been fired with cause!!!

#1 Showing my age but in 6th grade the teacher let us listen to game 7 of the World Series, 1960, game was back and forth and Bill Mazeroski hit home run in bottom of 9th to beat the mighty Mantle/Maris/Ford etc. Yankees.
giphy (15).gif

Reactions: ArdentVol and Raebo
1) I dont think he is entering the draft is he.? 2) You would think they could show him in his UT uniform rather than a UGA. Isn't that Cade Mays? More Yahoo excellent reporting ;)

1614030941448.png

When I was playing soccer and tried to cross the ball across the field near the opposing teams goal but it kicked it like sh!t and it went into the goal instead and then I punched the other teams sweeper and his yelp drew the attention of the ref who saw him swing at me and miss then he got a red card and kicked out of the game and then we won the state tournament...whew run on sentences.

World cup final in 1994 was a close second.

I admit that I am also a Florida State fan....that’s were I really wanted to go to school. I was sitting in the end-zone at the Orange Bowl in 1994 when Scott Bentley kicked the game winner vs Nebraska.
9A7547A2-B37E-473B-B9EA-B34B2CC25E89.png

I was also at Augusta on Sunday when Tiger won the “Tiger Slam.” I’m a Nicklaus guy....but that was phenomenal to witness.
7D2B412B-FBB2-4704-87EA-41200F0C79B6.png

Reactions: MAD and Border Vol
Loved hearing Ward talking about Keith Jackson coming into the broadcasters lounge a few hours before the game. John and Bill Anderson were in there and Jackson came strolling through and went to the vending machine for a drink and said do you think you all can keep it close for the audience tonight. John said Bill bit his tougue and said something to the effect we will try. After the game Jackson came by and said I have never been more wrong about a game. GBO!!!!!

1973- The first time I sat in Neyland Stadium and watched the POTS form the T. The second was the Vols running thru it. That 8 yo cried and thanks my mom for bringing me

Reactions: MAD
In-person, it would have to be when we beat Florida in Gainesville in 2001.
All time, I’d say when the Cubs won the World Series.

VN Store

Back