Most disappointing bowl loss

The irony of the Butch Jones era is that he was 3-0 in bowl games.

But we’ve had so many other disappointments in bowl games that it’s difficult to pick. Those back to back stompings at the hands of Maryland (gross) and a pre-championship caliber Clemson program still linger - in part because those were some big warning signs of this program’s downward spiral.
Our 2015 team was on the brink of greatness if not for some poor, in-game coaching during the OU and UF games. Bama got lucky to beat us. We absolutely obliterated a Northwestern team that was ranked 11 spots ahead of us in the Outback Bowl

Our 2015 team was on the brink of greatness if not for some poor, in-game coaching during the OU and UF games. Bama got lucky to beat us. We absolutely obliterated a Northwestern team that was ranked 11 spots ahead of us in the Outback Bowl

The first Qtr FG call vs OU in Knoxville was the dumbest coaching call since Bill Battle’s fake punt vs Ga in 1973.

Reactions: Voltopia
The first Qtr FG call vs OU in Knoxville was the dumbest coaching call since Bill Battle’s fake punt vs Ga in 1973.
Yes, it was dumb, but Battles' call was a cry for brass balls. Nice guy, ultimate gentleman and yes, good coach. That's a unique case of one decision completely flipping a fan base. f***! Bobby Bowden called a fake punt deep in his own territory that luckily turned out perfectly. His coaching career could have turned out similar to Battles' had that call not worked out. The narrative that Battle wasn't a good recruiter is patently false

You're right! I should have totally ignored your false narrative. I'm serious.

The coach wouldn't explain why Phillips was treated differently from Benning and wide receiver Riley Washington, who has remained on the team after being charged with attempted murder.-Washington Post article.

The coach wouldn't explain why Phillips was treated differently from Benning and wide receiver Riley Washington, who has remained on the team after being charged with attempted murder.
How many times did Fulmer fail to explain why Britton Colquitt remained on the team after 4 DUIs? Heck, Fulmer took criminal investigative matters into his own hands and personally interviewed a rape victim! There's no way that can be rationalized in an intelligent manner

How many times did Fulmer fail to explain why Britton Colquitt remained on the team after 4 DUIs? Heck, Fulmer took criminal investigative matters into his own hands and personally interviewed a rape victim! There's no way that can be rationalized in an intelligent manner

I was talking Nebraska, madam. 1995 to be exact. Do not try to reverse field here. Again, Pull that on your husband.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Good Lord that cover 🤬🤢. Never forget Vols up 23-14 and were driving again after converting a 3rd & 13. Manning threw a strike to Joey Kent near midfield and Lawrence Wright knocked him out ! TN Got the ball back & was up 30-21 @ the half and then as previously mentioned went in to lose 62-37. I l heard Joey Kent one say something like the spent the 2nd half in the locker room and thought that the score must be him hallucinating from a brain injury .

I am probably wrong but wasn’t it the rape victims friend he and a lawyer met at Shoney’s?

The irony of the Butch Jones era is that he was 3-0 in bowl games.

But we’ve had so many other disappointments in bowl games that it’s difficult to pick. Those back to back stompings at the hands of Maryland (gross) and a pre-championship caliber Clemson program still linger - in part because those were some big warning signs of this program’s downward spiral.
I don’t know that you can adequately say that teams bowl performances are much of an indicator of anything, as you said Butch Jones had his teams looking good in bowl games. Tennessee absolutely had no interest in either of those peach bowls you mention, I know that they should go out and perform in every game they play, but unfortunately that’s not the case. They were especially pissed off in 03, after being left out of the SEC title game, and getting passed over for Florida in the Citrus Bowl, whom they beat, were higher ranked, and had a better record than. Even a couple of Saban’s Bama teams have laid down in some bowl games when they weren’t there playing for anything.

Good Lord that cover 🤬🤢. Never forget Vols up 23-14 and were driving again after converting a 3rd & 13. Manning threw a strike to Joey Kent near midfield and Lawrence Wright knocked him out ! TN Got the ball back & was up 30-21 @ the half and then as previously mentioned went in to lose 62-37. I l heard Joey Kent one say something like the spent the 2nd half in the locker room and thought that the score must be him hallucinating from a brain injury .
It sucked that we couldn’t hold onto the ball at all in the second half. Their defense couldn’t stop us, we just couldn’t hold onto the ball. Probably would’ve been a 59-56 type game if it hadn’t started raining and we could’ve held onto the ball.

Reactions: wmcovol
Forget this troll. She’s defends Osborne despite the record of his defending sexual predators, abusers and attempted murderers yet jumps on Fulmer for meeting with someone. This woman needs help or a good screwing.

I don’t know that you can adequately say that teams bowl performances are much of an indicator of anything, as you said Butch Jones had his teams looking good in bowl games. Tennessee absolutely had no interest in either of those peach bowls you mention, I know that they should go out and perform in every game they play, but unfortunately that’s not the case. They were especially pissed off in 03, after being left out of the SEC title game, and getting passed over for Florida in the Citrus Bowl, whom they beat, were higher ranked, and had a better record than. Even a couple of Saban’s Bama teams have laid down in some bowl games when they weren’t there playing for anything.

Fair points on those bowls games.

But my problem/frustration has always been the tendency of Tennessee teams to lay down when there was EVERYTHING to play for. There are so many examples that it’s sadly comical. Here’s to hoping for better competitive heart under Coach Heupel!

Last edited:
Reactions: thehill98
You got nailed on your ignorant claim. Still haven't come up with anything close to "numerous". Silly boy

At least five current team members are facing charges or have been either convicted or placed on probation.

You lost Babette.

5 out of 100 isn't numerous. Silly little boy

Numerous is defined as a large number. Having 5 players with felony charges pending playing for your team is a large number, little girl.

Gosh, I pity your husband.

Last edited:
Numerous is defined as a large number. Having 5 players with felony charges pending playing for your team is a large number, little girl.

Gosh, I pity your husband.

That guy gets off on being condescending. Does it in every thread. Have to compensate for something I guess

Folks talk about when they checked out of Butch Jones as the coach, well, that field goal from the half-yard line was when I started looking for my timecard. Josh Dobbs, Jalen Hurd, Jason Croom, Josh Malone, and fifteen years of a program begging to be relevant again. Neyland was a hornet's nest. The crowd was on fire. Just go for it.

Folks talk about when they checked out of Butch Jones as the coach, well, that field goal from the half-yard line was when I started looking for my timecard. Josh Dobbs, Jalen Hurd, Jason Croom, Josh Malone, and fifteen years of a program begging to be relevant again. Neyland was a hornet's nest. The crowd was on fire. Just go for it.

I sat there that entire game knowing that chicken **** call was going to beat us.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol

VN Store

Back