Morris, Wright and Crouch

Yeah, this recruiting class isn’t really that special, especially considering how our rivals are recruiting. Anything out of the top five class every year just won’t cut it if we want to compete for championships. We’re nowhere near that.

Wrong. VT routinely landed only a top 30-40 class with Beamer, and they won consistently. If UT finishes in the top 15 annually; they can stack some talent. It's Evaluation and Coaching. I think we got that now.

It's not where ya start, it's where ya finish. Wright still seems to be the nearest to such a ranking, but even he is more long term potential than immediate (as is with 99% of OL).

Crouch has clearly dropped quite significantly from his once high ranking. Who knows how he'll return, but at least we know he has top 5 type of potential.
If he was #1 then...he is #1 now. Morris and Wright dropping down is big f'n joke also.

Because our biggest rivals are recruiting better than we are with rosters that are already more talented, and there's no reason to believe that Pruitt will be able to coach his players up better than Kirby, Mullen, or Saban. Recruiting is half the battle and actual coaching is the other half and as long as we continue to get beat on both sides we're never going to be any better than we were with Butch
Your posts lack any sense of self awareness at all... We have been blown out two years in a row by Missouri and Vanderbilt. Before we are going to really take off on the recruiting front, we must put those teams in the rear view mirror again. This type of class (with player development) can help us do that but it won't be achieved in one single class (or even two). If you can't see this day for the success it was and don't want to share in the excitement it has generated, then maybe you shouldn't be here?

For anyone that thinks Pruitt is struggling with recruiting, think about this: Each of these players (someone correct me if I’m wrong) was at some point ranked a top #5 overall player in the country or higher by one of the recruiting services...and we’re getting/got each one of them. After 4-8 and 5-7 seasons. That’s just incredible

You, sir are spot on.

Go VOLS

The way I see it is there are two ways to win a national championship.

1) Recruit elite, top-3 talent from top to bottom every single year (i.e. Bama and UGA)

2) Recruit very good, top-15 talent every year, and then sign an elite QB (i.e. Clemson)

I'm hoping that Bailey (or Maurer, I'm not picky) is our elite QB that can get us there without 4 or 5 years of top-level talent.

This, the first time Clemson won the title back in 2016, their average recruiting class rank was 12. The previous four years leading up to the title win their classes were, 11, 9, 16 and 15

It takes both talent and coaching but sometimes great coaching makes up for just pretty good talent

The way I see it is there are two ways to win a national championship.

1) Recruit elite, top-3 talent from top to bottom every single year (i.e. Bama and UGA)

2) Recruit very good, top-15 talent every year, and then sign an elite QB (i.e. Clemson)

I'm hoping that Bailey (or Maurer, I'm not picky) is our elite QB that can get us there without 4 or 5 years of top-level talent.
Bama has an elite qb and top tier recruiting and got destroyed.
UGA elite QB(s) top tier recruiting and can't win.
Clemson elite qb, top 15 talent, champions.

It's not where ya start, it's where ya finish. Wright still seems to be the nearest to such a ranking, but even he is more long term potential than immediate (as is with 99% of OL).

Crouch has clearly dropped quite significantly from his once high ranking. Who knows how he'll return, but at least we know he has top 5 type of potential.

This Wright is a day 1 starter and makes the all SEC FR team. Morris also is a potential game 1 starter. Hopefully Trey makes it back, Kennedy as well. Lampley and the guy from Flor also could be in the 2 deep. It's not like it used to be, these kids are more college ready than they were 10-15 yrs ago. Especially ones from great HS programs. This OLine class is top 3 in Vol signing class history. What used to be a weakness is turning into the exact opposite of that. Then throw in the elite OLine guys we could sign in the '20 class, we will start looking like Oline's of the Fulmer ERA.

Crouch will be a stud in college. If he hadn't gotten hurt he would have been another *5 that we signed. Was really hoping he would play RB, he's got the size we need to be one of those bruiser type SEC RB's. But he will be a stud LB for us.

If he was #1 then...he is #1 now. Morris and Wright dropping down is big f'n joke also.
Especially Morris. Crouch was kinda understanding. He didn’t play much his senior year but Morris didn’t really have a bad season. He wasn’t the best ol at the all American game but he was solid for the most part.

Because our biggest rivals are recruiting better than we are with rosters that are already more talented, and there's no reason to believe that Pruitt will be able to coach his players up better than Kirby, Mullen, or Saban. Recruiting is half the battle and actual coaching is the other half and as long as we continue to get beat on both sides we're never going to be any better than we were with Butch

Clemson Clemson is ranked #9, three spots ahead of us. That is the same Clemson who just won the nattie.

Arkansas is ranked 22nd with 26 commits and an average of 88.5. Were ranked 14th with an average of 90.01 (not including Wright) with 20 commits. Explain yourself lol

Right now we are #12 on the #247 composite and we're #9 on 247's rankings. Not sure how that guy was even trying to compare us to Ark lol

when i looked wright had not been factored in
Are your legs burning from all that backpedaling? It was an awesome day, I’m not sure why you wanted to be negative. Maybe because Pickens didn’t choose us? (Right around the time you posted yesterday morning)

E96030E7-8399-419A-8A35-62FABD42D7BC.jpeg

Wrong. VT routinely landed only a top 30-40 class with Beamer, and they won consistently. If UT finishes in the top 15 annually; they can stack some talent. It's Evaluation and Coaching. I think we got that now.
With Beamer it was also a weak schedule

Yeah, this recruiting class isn’t really that special, especially considering how our rivals are recruiting. Anything out of the top five class every year just won’t cut it if we want to compete for championships. We’re nowhere near that.

How to solve this?

My 2-step plan:

1) Upgrade recruiting staff.
Hired Tee - CHECK

2) Win more games.
TBD

Check box 2 and we'll improve. Do 1 and 2 again the following year and we'll improve again.

Reactions: feathersax
This, the first time Clemson won the title back in 2016, their average recruiting class rank was 12. The previous four years leading up to the title win their classes were, 11, 9, 16 and 15

It takes both talent and coaching but sometimes great coaching makes up for just pretty good talent
Dabo alluded to that on ESPN interview, saying Clemson doesn't have Top 5 classes, but rather recruit talented players who are of good character & fit the program.

VN Store

Back