Morris out at Arkansas

I really believe PJ Fleck is staying in Minnesota for as long as they will have him. It would be a bad move on his part to go to that dumpster fire to face LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M every year.
It would be a bad move because he just signed an extension to stay at Minnesota

Arkansas is in a good position this carousel.

Freeze and Kiffin would take the job, if offered. Both want back in the SEC.

Malzahn would take the job, if fired at Auburn. Coached high school in nearby Springdale and formerly in Wynne for many years before getting his first gig at Arkansas.

Norvell played at Central Arkansas and supposedly has family in Northwest Arkansas. I don’t know if he’d take the job, but he’d listen. This is the best “up and comer” option.

Leach would definitely listen, as he did listen to UT and likely would’ve taken the UT job. He liked his time in the SEC.

The roster was recruited by Bielema.
Morris is a pistol/spread type guy.
He was playing with Bielema's players and needed to turn the roster over.
I don't know WTF people expect anymore.
This "must win now" BS has made everything so foolish and reactionary.
Go Vols.

The Morris firing goes deeper than that. He has serious locker room issues. I would typically agree 100% with what you said. Granted maybe he needs to turn the roster over and away from the B1G type recruits left behind to run his system, but they were never truly incorporated into his system to even be remotely useful. He went all underclassmen on the field and lost his team. It was more an institutional firing more so than win/loss. He did not bridge very well. Pruitt had same issues going opposite direction in recruiting focus, but handled it better and more productively, and getting something out of the good players left behind. And probably more excuses if he didn't. He had to rely on the young players. Not many seniors to deploy.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Yeah well GA State has only been d1 since 2010. It’s the fact that they haven’t beaten a Power 5 team in 2 years on top of the fact that they lost to San Jose and WKU in the same year. That’s some bad mojo for anyone.

Correction....GSU has only been a program period since 2010. Never had football prior to that. Went straight to D1 FBS. Bill Curry agreed to a contract to put the program together for them and move on.

Reactions: Remy and perico
I really believe PJ Fleck is staying in Minnesota for as long as they will have him. It would be a bad move on his part to go to that dumpster fire to face LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M every year.

Fleck should stay where he recruits. B1G grounds. Most coaches, save for a small handful, don't do as well when they cross out of their "zone" to other regions.

I'm in the minority here, but if I'm Arky, I give a total pass on "the list" and go straight to Kennesaw State and snatch up Bohannon before anyone else discovers him. The kid is the only football coach they've had in a very short football program life, and has done well. Followed Paul Johnson to all of his stops and held position and coordinator jobs on GA Southern's NC teams, and was cherry picked by Kennesaw to upstart their program. His first HC job was straight to FCS. He's 44-13 currently and taken KSU to the FCS quarter finals twice already. 48 years old. Prime candidate for someone to throw a rock at. Dad was a successful coach at one of the best large HS programs in GA back in the day. It's in the blood.

Reactions: ETV

Malzahn would take the job, if fired at Auburn. Coached high school in nearby Springdale and formerly in Wynne for many years before getting his first gig at Arkansas.

Norvell played at Central Arkansas and supposedly has family in Northwest Arkansas. I don’t know if he’d take the job, but he’d listen. This is the best “up and comer” option.

Leach would definitely listen, as he did listen to UT and likely would’ve taken the UT job. He liked his time in the SEC.

Go rogue. Go Brian Bohannon.

The Morris firing goes deeper than that. He has serious locker room issues. I would typically agree 100% with what you said. Granted maybe he needs to turn the roster over and away from the B1G type recruits left behind to run his system, but they were never truly incorporated into his system to even be remotely useful. He went all underclassmen on the field and lost his team. It was more an institutional firing more so than win/loss. He did not bridge very well. Pruitt had same issues going opposite direction in recruiting focus, but handled it better and more productively, and getting something out of the good players left behind. And probably more excuses if he didn't. He had to rely on the young players. Not many seniors to deploy.
Yep. They are doing a Tennessee impression with all their coaching + admin turnover. In the past 2 years they've fired 2 football coaches, a basketball coach, and an AD.

Yep. They are doing a Tennessee impression with all their coaching + admin turnover. In the past 2 years they've fired 2 football coaches, a basketball coach, and an AD.

Well, that's on them. They had a perfect model of what not to do.

You heard it here first. Brian Bohannon to any one looking this season would get a hidden gem.

If I were the Arky AD I would much rather hire Hugh Freeze than Lane Kiffin

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
If Stoops makes the move to FSU then the carousel is going to get crazier. I could see Leach taking that job over Arky.

I’m glad we are not in coach search cycle this time around.

K-State went rogue when it hired Klieman away from NDSU and it’s paying off so far.

True. But, Klieman not totally rogue considering what he and everybody seems to be able to do at NDSU. Seems to be a football culture at that school that just keep rolling. They've always seemed to have strong success with down seasons being intermediate even before they began their reign of D2 back to the 60's. Adding 6 or 7 more titles in FCS they have a total of 15 Natty's, all Klieman's with 5 of those consecutive. And Bohl wasn't too shabby there either.

Bohannon would be a rogue hire since his coaching prior to Kennesaw HC was only position assignments. He went straight from a position coach to an FCS HC. And doing very, very well. My opinion is he would do very well at a larger program. Have yet to see his name on any up and comer lists. I find that strange, save for the fact that all his coaching prior to Kennesaw was under Paul Johnson that included no Coordinator spots, so the coaching tree probably just hasn't afforded him any spot lights. And yet he is winning a lot at Kennesaw. He'd be a steal for somebody looking though.

Good post.The problem with them is playing in the Sec west and no real recruiting base.They do have pride and tradition but I don't know if they will ever be able to recruit well enough to be significant again.
The one thing that could help their situation is if/when kids start receiving money legally....Jerry Jones will be writing the checks to get Arkansas good talent.....and those pockets are pretty deep!

The one thing that could help their situation is if/when kids start receiving money legally....Jerry Jones will be writing the checks to get Arkansas good talent.....and those pockets are pretty deep!
Jerry has deep pockets for sure.I think that there other two big boosters may have a little deeper pockets though.Ever heard of Tyson Chicken or Walmart. 😁

Until the Hogs can recruit Texas again they can't win in the SEC. They have the money, facilities and fan base to be a very good job.
In today's world I agree.....once the pay to play gets rolling they would have the resources to pull any 5 star from Texas they wanted to.....come play for the Hogs for $250,000 a year...all you have to do is sign autographs at Walmart for 30 minutes!
What a mess that is going to create!

Until the Hogs can recruit Texas again they can't win in the SEC. They have the money, facilities and fan base to be a very good job.

You nailed it. Arkansas as far back as I can recall always had to recruit Texas heavily. They produce maybe 4 or 5 D1 talent guys in state every season, usually it's RBs out of Pine Bluff or Little Rock.

VN Store

Back