More positive Press for Williams - NBC Sports

King was an amazing player for his time, but to say that he has a more complete offensive game than Durant is just wrong. I don’t even like Kevin Durant.

Comparing players from two entirely different eras 30 years apart is an exercise in futility.

Yep. The biological/physical capabilities of players haven't changed much in the last 30-40 years, but how elite athletes train and play certainly has. I have no doubt that if you could transport an 18 year old Bernard King into 2019 NCAA competition, he would dominate just like he did decades ago. He was an extraordinarily gifted athlete who would be even more dominant if he had access to modern training and nutrition. He is Tennessee's only Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame player.

The game was more physical when King played. Not close. Durant is good in his era and as a part of a great team. King is by far better and most of those that have been around the NBA would concur. It's not an argument really among those that know.

Bernard and Pistol Pete are the only 3x SEC Players of the Year. Bernard as a freshman, sophomore, junior and Maravich as a sophomore, junior, and senior when freshmen weren't eligible. King skipped his senior year... might have been the only 4x SEC POY had he stayed.

Reactions: Dr H Lecter
Maravitch was the best show I’ve ever seen in basketball. His passing and dribbling were magic. You had to guard him beyond the half line because he’d pop it as soon as he crossed it. He could do it with three guarding, which he often faced. Best show in basketball. But it’s not fair to compare him to other players. His dad was the coach and he was the LSU basketball team. No team alive would allow him to take the volume of shots and have the time with the ball that he did other than the team he was one. Well worth the price of admission though.

Maravitch was the best show I’ve ever seen in basketball. His passing and dribbling were magic. You had to guard him beyond the half line because he’d pop it as soon as he crossed it. He could do it with three guarding, which he often faced. Best show in basketball. But it’s not fair to compare him to other players. His dad was the coach and he was the LSU basketball team. No team alive would allow him to take the volume of shots and have the time with the ball that he did other than the team he was one. Well worth the price of admission though.

And I believe that Jimmy England shut him down at Stokely. If you can call holding him to about 20 points shutting him down.

Behind the back passes. Dribbled though his legs before anybody else was doing that. Floppy socks and the long hair. Pistol Pete was my favorite non-Vol.

I was fortunately able to see Maravich play once in Stokely. He was truly a magician with the basketball. He was fairly tall for a point guard in that era and his court vision was spectacular. I recall that he played really well, didn’t shoot as much as usual, but had bunches of assists. The Vols won the game on a late corner shot, but that result was almost an afterthought for the spectators. Pistol Pete was the whole show. If he had had better teammates, his average ppg might have gone down, but LSU would have been almost unbeatable.

VN Store

Back