More impressive season than realized

I said the floor was 6-6 and the ceiling was probably 8-4, but I didn't rule out 9 with lucky bounces. So it did play out a lot how I expected, but football always takes turns and twist so nobody never truly knows no matter how much they know about this game. Many folks on here said it would be a miracle for us to win 6 and folks thinking otherwise were nuts. That's what kills me is people that say NO WAY we win this many or that many. Or UT will never get back to competing for championships. They sai it so matter of fact like with nothing to back it up but their own negative opinion and think everyone else is knows nothing. I am a never say never person, and am just sitting here relishing the day the Vols are back at the top battling! GBO!!!!

Looking back, the only true blemish on our losses this year is from Florida. Granted, they were much better at the time early in the season. But our other losses are as follows:

Georgia: 11-0
Alabama: 10-1
Ole Miss: 9-2
Pittsburgh: 9-2

This has been an even more impressive season than first impressions would indicate. Our 4 losses outside of Florida are a combined 39-5. And we were in the Pitt and Ole Miss game until the end, and gave Alabama all they could handle through 3 quarters. We also were up on Georgia after the 1st quarter, and scored more on them than any other team this season.

The only true blemish is the loss against Florida, but things were much different at the time.

The season has been an absolute success, and the future is bright in K-Town.
If we were playing either Pitt or Florida today, we would win both games. The team has really bought into the system and are playing with confidence and gusto. It took a couple of games to learn the system and play the correct QB.

We will have 7 wins headed to a bowl game, coulda, shoulda had 9 wins! If you had told me that at the beginning of the season I wouldn’t have believed it

Yay, moral victory national champs again.
It’s more of a realization of things, perhaps, to come. If our not-so-great-record season is put into perspective, it can give hope for actual wins to come. No one considers a loss a win. I mean, how many of us are angry over the Pitt and Miss losses due to poor calls on the field? OP is acknowledging them as losses and not even mentioning “what if’s”. I can see no moral victory claimed here.

Reactions: VolforFootball
The best part of this year was it was fun to watch again. I don’t think it has been like this for at least 12-14 years

Reactions: kcvols1
The "we were up on team x at this point in the game" stats are just the best. If only this was NASCAR and we got points for leading part of the way through the game.

Looking back, the only true blemish on our losses this year is from Florida. Granted, they were much better at the time early in the season. But our other losses are as follows:

This has been an even more impressive season than first impressions would indicate. Our 4 losses outside of Florida are a combined 39-5. And we were in the Pitt and Ole Miss game until the end, and gave Alabama all they could handle through 3 quarters. We also were up on Georgia after the 1st quarter, and scored more on them than any other team this season.

The only true blemish is the loss against Florida, but things were much different at the time.

One definition of happiness is when reality meets or exceeds our expectations. I posted early in the season that I would take 6-6 and a bowl bid "right now". So assuming we beat Vandy on Saturday, this season has been IMHO a great success and I am very happy with the direction of the program. Right now though I just want to hang 70 on the commode doors and get a bowl invite to Florida...to which I will be present! GBO!!

I see most of your comments are negative.

You're about as pleasant as an itchy butthole.
Just ignore them. They're either trolls or just think that the constant negativity makes them look "cool", kind of like middle schoolers. The adults in the room are better off just rolling our eyes and ignoring them.

Maybe they'll grow out of it.

I thought Hooker played most of the Florida game. We weren’t going to win that one. We played the way we always play against Florida and our mistakes we too much to overcome. We should have beaten Pitt and Ole Miss though.

Ok, I'm good with that. Still, Two more wins that got away.

It has been a good season.

Knocking off Pitt and/or Ole Miss would have made it a great season IMO. Both those teams have excellent QBs who made the difference though.

They beat who they should have beaten.

Played teams on more even ground with them tough and gave some glimmers of hope against Bama and GA

FL is the only real disappointment on the schedule knowing how the season played out.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

It’s been a good year. Bot COY year. If Leach beats Ole Miss, I think he should get it. Everyone talking about Beamer and Huepel, but forget that Leach’s team went 4-7 last year and this year could end up 8-4 with wins over A&M, Kentucky (when they were rollin’) and Ole Miss. That would also secure a #2 spot in the SECW. That said, how can you count Kiffin out of COY if they win out? That’s taking a struggling Ole Miss program to 10 wins in his second year and winning whatever bowl game.

That's just dumb and thoughtless. I NEVER want to lose. Not to good teams. Not to bad teams. But if I have to lose then I want to first be competitive... UT was for the most part. Next, I want it to be to someone who SHOULD beat me based on ability.

There is a lot more reason to hope for better results when 4 of your 5 losses in a single season come to 10 win teams. How many teams in FBS actually play that kind of competition in a single year? UK even has a shot at 10 wins.

Would you seriously think Pruitt's 8-5 season with losses to GSU and BYU was a more positive result than this year? A result showing equally good direction?

Reactions: 24/7vol
Honestly, this is exactly where I expected we'd be at the beginning of the season. Heupel's done a great job schematically, but based on talent, we were probably a 7-5 team anyway.

That said, the refs basically stole that Ole Miss game from us. And I think we beat Pitt if we had played Hooker instead of Milton. We certainly feel more like a 9-3 team than a 7-5 one, but on paper, we're only 7-5.
I think UT had the talent to beat 9 opponents. And in spite of all the handwringing, I don't think "depth" is just a blanket explanation for losses. UT had the wrong injuries at the wrong time. Not having a healthy RB for much of the season was not good. Losing Cade early in the OM game probably had more impact than any call or mistake.

I hope Heupel can build a roster that can absorb these kinds of losses. If so, there are some great days ahead.

Agree completely on Pitt. I'm not questioning the decision as others have. But Hooker's poor fall coupled with Milton looking better than he truly was... had the wrong guy getting the extra reps and what amounted to warm up reps vs BGSU. If Hooker had been the guy 2 weeks before the seasons started... I think the result vs BGSU would have been much more impressive and Pitt would have been a win. The UF game might have even been in play if they'd had a month to settle in with HH.

But, it is a good result. I said 6-8 wins with this roster against this schedule. In spite of some bad breaks... they're right in the middle.

1ASq.gif

Reactions: kcvols1
I am hard on my teams as a fan, have high expectations, and can be critical at times. Overall I think it's been a great season and this staff has done a fantastic job, definitely trending in the right direction. Still have a couple of things to do, beat the snot out of Vandy and win a bowl game.

Go Vols!!! Get to 8!

I love how facts don’t fit the narrative you want it to be. Yay, another “fan” who expects an unrealistic outcome and criticizes those that mention progress.
I had very realistic expectations, and one win over those expectations doesn't mean jack in the long run. How many times has one of our last three coaches put together a winning season and then how many of those coaches were our long term answer? That's right we've seen this from all three of our last hires and at each time some of the overly optimistic crowd have started acting like we are without a shadow of a doubt on our way back to relevancy. Fool me once....fool me four times...

I consider this season a big success. I think we are definitely on the right track with Heupel. Things are looking up for the big orange.

We hung with all these guys as well. Some guys will say Champions of Life, something about moral victories and bricks, however, it just feels right this time. It hasn't felt right since '98, '99, or Lane.

Aight, let me say this, (pregnant pause) I'm proud of these boys, it's not a result of anything I ever showed 'em or told 'em, but i'm proud of 'em just the same. That's all I got to say about that.

VN Store

Back