More impressive season than realized

VolforFootball

I like pizza
Looking back, the only true blemish on our losses this year is from Florida. Granted, they were much better at the time early in the season. But our other losses are as follows:

Georgia: 11-0
Alabama: 10-1
Ole Miss: 9-2
Pittsburgh: 9-2

This has been an even more impressive season than first impressions would indicate. Our 4 losses outside of Florida are a combined 39-5. And we were in the Pitt and Ole Miss game until the end, and gave Alabama all they could handle through 3 quarters. We also were up on Georgia after the 1st quarter, and scored more on them than any other team this season.

The only true blemish is the loss against Florida, but things were much different at the time.

The season has been an absolute success, and the future is bright in K-Town.

Yay, moral victory national champs again.
Put it into perspective. Considering we had a 1st year head coach combined will the tremendous of talent we lost in the offesason (and the effect it had on last year's recruiting class), the fact that we'll likely finish 7-5 and a possible bowl win is something to be proud of. Like I said, the future is bright.

Put that way over could argue we should be 10-2

Let’s always look at the glass as half empty, shall we?

This is the most encouraged I’ve been about this program in 15 or more years. Better season than expected and totally different vibe coming from the players.

We just need to recruit better. And this is not an indictment on the staff, because we can point yo reasons why we are at a recruiting disadvantage right now. But, the reality is that we need to improve in recruiting.

Looking back, the only true blemish on our losses this year is from Florida. Granted, they were much better at the time early in the season. But our other losses are as follows:

This has been an even more impressive season than first impressions would indicate. Our 4 losses outside of Florida are a combined 39-5. And we were in the Pitt and Ole Miss game until the end, and gave Alabama all they could handle through 3 quarters. We also were up on Georgia after the 1st quarter, and scored more on them than any other team this season.

The only true blemish is the loss against Florida, but things were much different at the time.

good post... GoVols!

It was definitely a fantastic season, but we should finish (assuming we beat Vandy, no givens yet as we’re still TN) 9-3. We should have beaten Ole Miss and Pitt, but JGjr (aka Milton) really hurt us.

First year uncertainty cost Tennessee the Pitt game. Bad breaks cost Tennessee the OM game.

Facts are the program was far more competitive with Bama & Ga than in recent years despite the scores. They dominated other conference teams they have struggled to previously beat.

Heuple, his staff, and the team performed much better than I expected. But, I long for a UT that's a national powerhouse and I won't be satisfied until that occurs . . . plus a national championship (or five).

Reactions: House of Neyland
Heuple, his staff, and the team performed much better than I expected. But, I long for a UT that's a national powerhouse and I won't be satisfied until that occurs . . . plus a national championship (or five).

That is the attitude we should all have, but realistically the outcome we had this year was about as good as could be expected. It could certainly be seen as a great step in that direction. We actually dominated some SEC teams this year. When is the last time we could say that?

Honestly, this is exactly where I expected we'd be at the beginning of the season. Heupel's done a great job schematically, but based on talent, we were probably a 7-5 team anyway.

That said, the refs basically stole that Ole Miss game from us. And I think we beat Pitt if we had played Hooker instead of Milton. We certainly feel more like a 9-3 team than a 7-5 one, but on paper, we're only 7-5.

I love how facts don’t fit the narrative you want it to be. Yay, another “fan” who expects an unrealistic outcome and criticizes those that mention progress.

We have some truly miserable fans. In one sense, it’s understandable given the last 15 years. What’s irritating is that they want everyone else to be miserable with them, so they bring their sour attitudes and snide comments to threads that point to any progress.

A 6-7 win season isn’t satisfying to anyone who has followed Tennessee football in the 90’s and early 00’s. But this team indeed outperformed expectations. And there are some very positive things that we saw with this group and that we haven’t seen in years. As obvious as they are, some people would rather wallow in misery than acknowledge them.

There are people like that everywhere in life…not just sports fans.

Yah, not only that, but our three SEC wins thus far (South Carolina, Mizzou, and Kentucky) are a combined 20-13, all bowl eligible, and WOULD be 23-10 collectively if, you know, we hadn't beaten all of them. Heh. That might be surprising, given how easily and widely we beat two of them, making them seem like total basket cases--at the time.

So our losses (with the exception of the imploding gators) are all against solid Top 25 programs, and our wins are looking pretty respectable at this point as well.

The lads and their coaches have a great deal to be proud of this year so far.

Go Vols!

Honestly, this is exactly where I expected we'd be at the beginning of the season. Heupel's done a great job schematically, but based on talent, we were probably a 7-5 team anyway.

That said, the refs basically stole that Ole Miss game from us. And I think we beat Pitt if we had played Hooker instead of Milton. We certainly feel more like a 9-3 team than a 7-5 one, but on paper, we're only 7-5.

I thought getting to six wins would be a small miracle. Two things that really surprised me with this squad:

- the change in attitude…I never thought it possible to do this in year 1

- the development of some of our talent this year…people I doubted would ever meaningfully contribute

Tennessee football was fun to watch again.

VN Store

Back