Gun control debate (merged)

Not true. Just toss some oil on it and keep firing. Look up the Filthy 14 for a good example of this.

This nonsense that an AR has to be kept clean is little more than an urban myth that's been propagated since Vietnam.
It was real in Vietnam. Damn bean counters switching powders.

Good to see you.

It was real in Vietnam. Damn bean counters switching powders.

Good to see you.

Yes, along with not issuing cleaning kits and zero instructions on maintenance.

Problem solved once they talked to Colt. I read the reports about those issues not long ago. There was like a 95% approval rate in Vietnam for the rifle one they got everything worked out.

Glad you've been keeping these ****ers in line.

@hog88

The M16A1 was also not subject to necessary deep cleaning as much as you were told. I put 900 rounds through a Vietnam era, 4 digit serial numbered M16 and only dropped some additional LSA around the 500 round mark. One malf total.

Problem solved once they talked to Colt. I read the reports about those issues not long ago. There was like a 95% approval rate in Vietnam for the rifle one they got everything worked out.

@hog88

The M16A1 was also not subject to necessary deep cleaning as much as you were told. I put 900 rounds through a Vietnam era, 4 digit serial numbered M16 and only dropped some additional LSA around the 500 round mark. One malf total.
Charlie only needs one malfunction.

@hog88

The forward assist has to be the typical government solution to a non problem. I mean why on earth would you want to knowingly jam something futher into a chamber that doesn’t want to go? After all the bolt carrier already has a dished out section that was meant to be a chamber assist. Bureaucrats...

Side note: my dad was in Vietnam and he told me he trained initially with the M1 Garand then received a M14 and when he got in country in Vietnam he received a m16 with, as you say, 0 instruction. Some guys had cleaning rods taped to their rifles to remove the stuck cases. Just a total failure by the bureaucracy in place.

Last edited:

@hog88

Maybe not and it was the simply the fact the ones we used in basic were older than we were and nearly worn out. I was scared to death mine would screw up during qualifying because it had on almost every other range day.

Interesting turn of events in the firearm world.

Remington Asset Bids Revealed: Ruger Gets Marlin, Vista Gets Remington Ammo, Franklin Armory Gets Bushmaster, Sierra Gets Barnes - The Truth About Guns

I think Ruger will take care of the Marlin legacy. Palmetto picked up a few good scores and Federal takes the Remington ammo brand.

Sierra picked up Barnes. Lots of good movement there.

Honestly I think it's a win for shooters probably across the board. I know a lot of people will be happy to see Marlin get a real shot at some QC again.

Reactions: 1972 Grad and hog88
Honestly I think it's a win for shooters probably across the board. I know a lot of people will be happy to see Marlin get a real shot at some QC again.
I have 7 older Marlins and the quality control was quite good. My oldest is a 39A from 1953. Most of them are from the late 50's up to maybe early 1990's.

Reactions: joevol33
I have 7 older Marlins and the quality control was quite good. My oldest is a 39A from 1953. Most of them are from the late 50's up to maybe early 1990's.

Yep, Marlin had a great rep for a long time but that faltered more recently. I would expect that to turn around under Ruger.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I don’t know what the national gun buying stats are now but I know here in Norfolk a lot of pistols are on a first come first serve bases , back orders running about 10 days and signs everywhere that says out of stock . I don’t ever remember a run on firearms this big or lasting this long .

VN Store

Back