Gun control debate (merged)

Thanks to my step son, I never wasted money trying the 7mag. He spent more time looking for deer he shot with it than he ever dropped and found. I always ask him when he said he got one if he found it. Him and his dad both. Me and my brother and brother-in-law didn't accept not finding one. been in the briars till midnight with a lantern tracking. If we hit it, we looked for it till we got it. responsible hunting.
I've hunted deer with a 30/30, 35Rem, 30-06, 270, and a 7mm mag. Every deer I've shot with the 7mm has dropped in its tracks or went 10-50 yards. I do hunt with quality ammo, nolser partition bullets. I've never even remotely came close to not retrieving an animal.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
One has to really wonder exactly what goes through politician's minds when coming up with bans like this.

How can they find that ban unconstitutional when I can get arrested for having an ax handle behind the seat of my truck in TN if it's the officer's opinion that I have it there as a weapon?

How can they find that ban unconstitutional when I can get arrested for having an ax handle behind the seat of my truck in TN if it's the officer's opinion that I have it there as a weapon?

I worked at Outback Steakhouse through law school. When I would give someone a new loaf of bread, they got a fresh steak knife with it. I would pick up the old one and if I still had more stuff to do often they would get put in my back pocket where they would stay because I would forget to toss them in the bus tub under the bar. When I sat in my car I would remember it because I would get stabbed in the a$$. I would then pull the knife out and toss them in the rear floor board. Got pulled over by a cop once that accused me having weapons and theft. Actually called my manager at Outback about it.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
One has to really wonder exactly what goes through politician's minds when coming up with bans like this.
Well very little obviously other than feels. They were afraid Bruce Lee would inspire generations of kung fu hoodlums nunchuking their way through the boroughs. Someone should have challenged this on racial/cultural grounds years ago.

I foresee a legal battle coming this way soon.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/bump-stocks-ban/index.html

The Trump administration rolled out a new federal regulation Tuesday officially banning bump-fire stocks.

Those who possess the devices, which make it easier to fire rounds from a semi-automatic weapon by harnessing the gun's recoil to "bump" the trigger faster, will have 90 days to turn in or otherwise destroy them from the date that the final rule is published in the federal register -- likely this Friday -- according to senior DOJ officials.

Restrict them from further manufacture, have owners register and list them on the Federal NFA Register, but I don't think you can do the 90 days thing.

I foresee a legal battle coming this way soon.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/bump-stocks-ban/index.html

Restrict them from further manufacture, have owners register and list them on the Federal NFA Register, but I don't think you can do the 90 days thing.

I can at least understand how many would look at an auto rifle and a semi equipped with bump stock and argue it's functionally a distinction without a difference. OTOH as you point out since full on belt fed machine guns are actually legal (with correct paperwork) it makes no sense that a bump stock could be "banned" without the NFA option.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
If you're going to make them illegal, you have to give some form of recourse to the current owners other than "give them up or else."
the rules on automatics didn't require their owners to hand them over did they?

Trump is the reason I went ahead and got a gun. you know, before I lost it.

the rules on automatics didn't require their owners to hand them over did they?

Trump is the reason I went ahead and got a gun. you know, before I lost it.

No, just register them.

A slightly different situation as we aren't talking about a firearm, but rather a part. But same principle.

All but 1 deer I shot with my 7mm mag went down within 10-15 feet of where they stood.
Every one I have shot with mine have gone 0 feet. Even the 8 I put on the wall just bowled over backwards. I don't understand the 7mm mag having to look for the deer thing.

No, just register them.

A slightly different situation as we aren't talking about a firearm, but rather a part. But same principle.
this is one thing I haven't dove too much into to have a real opinion on. parts of guns vs a gun itself.

guns are protected, but nothing else really is. maybe there have been some court rulings but idk

ammo could be banned.
add ons, scopes, bump stocks, etc, not directly impacting the function of the gun could be banned imo.
even kit of parts isn't necessarily protected. the end product is, but I haven't seen a real rational argument on protecting the right to order different pieces.

this is one thing I haven't dove too much into to have a real opinion on. parts of guns vs a gun itself.

guns are protected, but nothing else really is. maybe there have been some court rulings but idk

ammo could be banned.
add ons, scopes, bump stocks, etc, not directly impacting the function of the gun could be banned imo.
even kit of parts isn't necessarily protected. the end product is, but I haven't seen a real rational argument on protecting the right to order different pieces.

I'm not sure about ammo. For the purposes of the 2A banning ammunition would be essentially the same thing as banning guns. Now as to what regulations could be applied and get away with? That's an interesting question.

To the rest of it there does seem to be varying degrees of vulnerability.

ammo could be banned.

No, some parts are regulated. The full auto fire control group of an M16 for example.

No, some parts are regulated. The full auto fire control group of an M16 for example.
regulated, yeah. but I am wondering if the .gov could just outright ban upper receivers for individual sale. you can buy a whole new gun. but you can't buy the part. the receiver is not a gun, ergo not protected.

I'm not sure about ammo. For the purposes of the 2A banning ammunition would be essentially the same thing as banning guns. Now as to what regulations could be applied and get away with? That's an interesting question.

https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-bull...-does-not-guarantee-the-right-to-have-bullets

They’ve tried it several times . They can’t outlaw ammo it would make the firearms inoperable and therefore impede your 2a rights.
Edit : I think I read somewhere that they can’t put an insane tax on ammo either because it’s considered the same purpose as banning ammo. I’d have to look it up .

It makes me think about Chris Rock (I think) joking about raising the cost of bullets to $5k a pop. see how many shootings there are. now of course this creates an immediate black market over night, but nothing in the Constitution protects the cost.

for the most part I am definitely against any ban for the "accessories" of guns. but I haven't seen an argument that would stand up.
IIRC even ammo already has some restriction on what you can generally buy. No incendiary, no military grade armor piercing. to me its not much of a step saying that all 308 are banned. they could argue that we haven't banned any guns, just the ammo for the 308. you can still get everything else. but that one round is off the market. again instant black market, but not seeing the Constitutional protection of it.

VN Store

Back