More from KNS

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
Runway warm-ups
Vols' QBs show off their talents on first day of voluntary drills

By MIKE GRIFFITH, knsgriff@aol.com
July 20, 2004

One by one, Tennessee's quarterback candidates emerged from the locker room, strolling onto the field like fashion models on a runway.

Muscle-bound C.J. Leak presented a look of strength and confidence. Sleek Brent Schaeffer glided over the turf, every move effortless. Erik Ainge, the West Coast quarterback, displayed his quick setup and laser-like throws. Rick Clausen, lacking the arm-strength, size or speed of his competition, looked poised and polished.

Advertisement

With future scout team members Brett Weyman, Bo Hardegree and Jim Bob Cooter taking snaps, seven quarterbacks were throwing to receivers during Monday's voluntary workout.

It's a muddled situation, with precious time and practice opportunities dwindling as the Sept. 5 opener against UNLV approaches.

"Everybody has their idea of what they think is a good fit, but no one is psychic,'' said tailback Gerald Riggs, himself mired in competition at tailback with incumbent Cedric Houston. "No one knows who it will be, but we're confident whoever comes out number one will get the job done.''

Leak, 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, is penciled-in as the starter.

"I'm glad to be back in a leadership role,'' said Leak, injured as a sophomore at Wake Forest before transferring to UT. "I work hard and I trust my ability.''

But what about the skills the other bring to the table?

Redshirt freshman Robert Meachem, the Vols' star-in-waiting at receiver, weighed in on the quarterbacks' abilities.

"Ainge his arm is as strong if not stronger than C.J.'s,'' Meachem said. "We've had to tell him to just throw it - he was holding back at first.

"Schaeffer, he has the jets. He's quick and fast - in the category of Derrick Tinsley and Corey Larkins - and his arm strength is not a concern.''

Meachem said he's confident "going to war'' with any of them, but he was quick to add that a quarterback rotation would be hard on the receivers.

Senior captain Kevin Burnett voiced his opinion on how the team should handle the pending quarterback controversy.

"Don't comment,'' Burnett said. "If we get caught up in who the quarterback is, or will be, we're not going to be paying enough attention to doing our jobs. We can't get sidetracked.''

Workout Warriors: UT strength coach Johnny Long said defensive end Parys Haralson was probably the strongest Vol pound-for-pound.

"Parys reminds me of being an Al Wilson-type leader,'' Long said. He's someone everyone respects; he'll get on you when you're doing bad, and he'll get on you when you're doing good.''

Others Long praised for their work ethic included: Burnett, Riggs, Michael Munoz, Cory Anderson, Jason Allen and Jabari Davis.

Long said Albert Toeaina has dropped 20 pounds and weighs 350.

Stewart Status: Cornerback Antwan Stewart said he's on track to be ready to play in November after injuring his knee this spring. Stewart said whether or not he plays will depend on "what the team needs at the time.''

Freshman Jonathan Hefney and sophomore Jonathan Wade are battling for the starting corner job opposite Jason Allen. Hefney is shining in offseason drills with skills and quickness, while Wade brings world-class speed.

Hoop Dreams: Meachem, a high school basketball standout, said some of the Vols win respect from one another playing pick-up basketball.

"The best is probably C.J. Fayton,'' Meachem said. "But don't count out Cory Anderson. James (Banks) is obviously very good, too.''

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jul 19, 2004 11:55 PM
Rick Clausen, lacking the arm-strength, size or speed of his competition, looked poised and polished.

Huh?

Dude has no arm strength, speed OR size and STILL looks "poised and polished?"

:bs:

This article tells me that:

Ainge is the next guy.

Schaeffer would be a good receiver.

Burnett is finally stepping up as a leader.

Clausen is window dressing.

Leak will be the starter till they lose.

VN Store

Back