'24 MO WR Ryan Wingo (Texas commit)

Gotta think that what the WRs did today left a good impression on him. Will be in Knoxville later this season
Some talking heads saying our WR corp is the best in the country now as well. Probably helps some with some of the kids on the fence. Ultimately we need to get Tillman to be a first rounder at end of this year.

Some talking heads saying our WR corp is the best in the country now as well. Probably helps some with some of the kids on the fence. Ultimately we need to get Tillman to be a first rounder at end of this year.
I'm sure it helps our perception/profile to be in that discussion, but anyone calling our WRs the best in the nation needs to have their head examined. That conversation begins and ends in Columbus, OH, as much as it pains me to say that.

I'm sure it helps our perception/profile to be in that discussion, but anyone calling our WRs the best in the nation needs to have their head examined. That conversation begins and ends in Columbus, OH, as much as it pains me to say that.
Well I need my head examined then. I’ve watched both teams, Tennessee’s wide receivers are better to this point. Say it’s system, say whatever you want but you can look at both teams production thus far, Tennessee is straight up better.

Well I need my head examined then. I’ve watched both teams, Tennessee’s wide receivers are better to this point. Say it’s system, say whatever you want but you can look at both teams production thus far, Tennessee is straight up better.
Strongly disagree, but that's okay, I guess. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marvin Harrison Jr., Emeka Egbuka are all better than our best WR, IMO. I love our guys, but I'd take that trio over Tillman, McCoy, and Hyatt all day, every day.

As for the production comment, that OSU trio (27 catches, 451 yds, 5 TDs) has statistically outproduced the Tennessee trio (34 catches, 408 yds, 2 TDs) across two games and similar competition, and that in spite of their best WR, Smith-Njigba, missing all but one quarter thru two games.

Last edited:
Strongly disagree, but that's okay, I guess. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marvin Harrison Jr., Emeka Egbuka are all better than our best WR, IMO. I love our guys, but I'd take that trio over Tillman, McCoy, and Hyatt all day, every day.

As for the production comment, that OSU trio (27 catches, 451 yds, 5 TDs) has statistically outproduced the Tennessee trio (34 catches, 408 yds, 2 TDs) across two games and similar competition, and that in spite of their best WR, Smith-Njigba, missing all but one quarter thru two games.
Again in the game versus Notre Dame compared to our game versus Pitt we outproduced them. Not trying to cherry pick here either, against Arkansas State and against Ball State we can agree either team could’ve done whatever they wanted.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Again in the game versus Notre Dame compared to our game versus Pitt we outproduced them. Not trying to cherry pick here either, against Arkansas State and against Ball State we can agree either team could’ve done whatever they wanted.
I'll give you that, but it seems like a very specific, and extremely limited, set of parameters. Just based on perceived talent, recruiting rankings, and draft projections, I'm not sure it's as close.

If nothing else, it's encouraging that we are in the conversation even if you and I disagree on the particular order. Even if I believe OSU has the better group, there is certainly no shame in Tennessee, at worst, being discussed in the same breath. That is especially true based on where these programs were, respectively, just two years ago.

Actually they were discussing this exact topic on Sec Network earlier.TKO said Tn has the best wrs in the Sec(Which I agree with).They all 3 then went on to say maybe the best in the country?It was a stutter step answer but they actually said USC,UT were kinda neck and neck.No mention of Ohio state at all actually.

Actually they were discussing this exact topic on Sec Network earlier.TKO said Tn has the best wrs in the Sec(Which I agree with).They all 3 then went on to say maybe the best in the country?It was a stutter step answer but they actually said USC,UT were kinda neck and neck.No mention of Ohio state at all actually.
It’s nearly impossible to just label a wr Corp the flat out best in the nation. Theirs realistically about 3 wr corps in the country that can be considered the best, and Tennessee is one of those imo.
That’s huge for us in recruiting.

How do you strongly disagree? Looking at recruiting rankings? Tillman had more catches last year than Harrison jr. And Ebuka have in their entire careers combined. The only common opponent I see is Purdue last year. Tillman had better numbers than Smith-Njigba in that common opponent. Tillman also put up 200 yards on arguably one of the greatest defenses of all time last year in Georgia. Massive disrespect to Tillman to say all three are better than any Tennessee WR. Don't penalize our guys for not playing 11 cupcakes and Michigan every year.

I'll give you that, but it seems like a very specific, and extremely limited, set of parameters. Just based on perceived talent, recruiting rankings, and draft projections, I'm not sure it's as close.

If nothing else, it's encouraging that we are in the conversation even if you and I disagree on the particular order. Even if I believe OSU has the better group, there is certainly no shame in Tennessee, at worst, being discussed in the same breath. That is especially true based on where these programs were, respectively, just two years ago.
Talent wise I would agree OSU has the better group. Production wise I think Tennessee will have an argument. Like you said good to be in the discussion though.

This kid is likely al 5* WR. I like you, but I'm curious as to why you try to project or convert nearly everyone to LB. You even want to make Seldon a LB.

@LittleVol lives to portray that he knows football on here. If you pay close attention to his posts, he thinks he knows more than most in here. It’s part of his scthick. It’s ridiculous. I mean the guy tried to make the argument that Maryville HS would beat IMG academy in Florida at football.

How do you strongly disagree? Looking at recruiting rankings? Tillman had more catches last year than Harrison jr. And Ebuka have in their entire careers combined. The only common opponent I see is Purdue last year. Tillman had better numbers than Smith-Njigba in that common opponent. Tillman also put up 200 yards on arguably one of the greatest defenses of all time last year in Georgia. Massive disrespect to Tillman to say all three are better than any Tennessee WR. Don't penalize our guys for not playing 11 cupcakes and Michigan every year.
Your opinion seems drenched with bias, so we aren't likely to find common ground, but I'll give it a shot.

Harrison Jr. and Ebuka were true freshmen playing behind three 1st-rd talents at WR (Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, and JS-N), last year. Cedric Tillman was a 4th-year junior on a team devoid of much positional talent, that thru excellent coaching and scheming, managed to squeeze every ounce of juice out of the proverbial orange. You note that Tillman had more catches and yards, last year, than Harrison or Egbuka had in their entire careers while also failing to acknowledge that both Harrison and Egbuka, despite playing behind three 1st-rd WRs, both managed to catch more balls for more yards in a single season, as freshmen, than Tillman had in his entire 3-yr career prior to last year.

My opinion of Tillman, or even McCoy or Hyatt isn't a manner of disrespect as much as it is a credit to the kind of talent OSU has at the WR position. So much talent, that last year, they had two 5* WRs (Ebuka and Julian Fleming) and another high 4* (Harrison Jr.) who barely saw the field. This year, two of those guys have seamlessly stepped in and are playing great, and mostly in the absence of JS-N, who might be the first WR taken in the 2023 draft.

If the only measure of their ability was to look at their stats from last year, or one particular game from last year, then sure, most people would jump all over Tillman, but your argument doesn't hardly begin to present all the facts and cherry-picking an individual games stats isn't an effective way to strengthen it. Using the transitive property regarding how Tillman and JS-N performed against a single opponent is certainly not how the NFL will measure their potential talent.

Reactions: VolNash17
It's an interesting debate to be had, for certain, but any conversation around it that doesn't include OSU is either a glaring omission or a ridiculous take.

I agree that USC is another team with a solid argument with Jordan Addison, Mario Williams, and Gary Bryant Jr., though the latter has been pretty invisible, this year.

I think Texas would have had a case had Isaiah Neyor not gotten hurt in preseason, too.

There are some others with a solid 1-2 punch and then some peripheral guys behind them like Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Kentucky, etc.

I do find it hard not to slightly penalize our group due to the system that artificially inflates their numbers to an extent in any attempt to make it an argument about statistics and not actual talent, potential, or draft stock. For example, I don't think Jalin Hyatt even starts at either OSU or USC, and he almost certainly doesn't have 13 catches for 101 yds thru 2 games at those schools. It doesn't take away from what he's done at Tennessee, but it's tough to make an apples to apples comparison when one school runs 82 plays per game, and the other runs 62 plays per game if the discussion is simply a matter of who has the best stats.

Reactions: VolNash17

They've had several of their top backup WRs out too so JSN being out hurts even more but they are so loaded it hasn't mattered yet

It’s nearly impossible to just label a wr Corp the flat out best in the nation. Theirs realistically about 3 wr corps in the country that can be considered the best, and Tennessee is one of those imo.
That’s huge for us in recruiting.
Bru is an older guy, but he hadn't played, so I still expected him to adjust slowly.

If they just threw the ball his way more he's going to average 100 yards a game. Very surprised how ready he already is.

Hyatt has much more wiggle this season. Tillman dropped 2 passes because of being held, or just being tired.

Literally all game Pitts DBs never could slow them down.

Have a strange feeling...that they are going to explode against Florida. Like 100+ receiving each.

I'm aware of Ohio State and USC, but no...those guys are not better than our 1st group imo

Bru is an older guy, but he hadn't played, so I still expected him to adjust slowly.

If they just threw the ball his way more he's going to average 100 yards a game. Very surprised how ready he already is.

Hyatt has much more wiggle this season. Tillman dropped 2 passes because of being held, or just being tired.

Literally all game Pitts DBs never could slow them down.

Have a strange feeling...that they are going to explode against Florida. Like 100+ receiving each.

I'm aware of Ohio State and USC, but no...those guys are not better than our 1st group imo
Hyatt I think they need to get targeted early and give him some easy ones to build confidence. Kid has all the tools to be successful just has some bad drops at times for whatever reason. He’s been much better so far.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

VN Store

Back