'20 MO OL Jalen St. John

Nah, don’t take scholarships in flooded positions. Need tackles not guards.
Kinda hard to look at the roster right now and discern what positions are deep and which aren't. There will be attrition, position changes, etc.

Also, where are the tackle prospects we could realistically land? I'd be sure I had guys at "positions of need" locked in before I told a guy to move on just because I already had depth at his position. Not saying St. John is one of those guys, just speaking generally.

Reactions: sport3500
Kinda hard to look at the roster right now and discern what positions are deep and which aren't. There will be attrition, position changes, etc.

Also, where are the tackle prospects we could realistically land? I'd be sure I had guys at "positions of need" locked in before I told a guy to move on just because I already had depth at his position. Not saying St. John is one of those guys, just speaking generally.
Got 3 spots left and one the coaches are saving for a grad transfer. It's really not that hard at all when you look at the depth chart and what has been recruited this cycle. 2 OGs and a C. This guy is not a tackle. Outside of Morris and Wright, who are feasible option at tackle? Not this kid. Save the scholarship.

Got 3 spots left and one the coaches are saving for a grad transfer. It's really not that hard at all when you look at the depth chart and what has been recruited this cycle. 2 OGs and a C. This guy is not a tackle. Outside of Morris and Wright, who are feasible option at tackle? Not this kid. Save the scholarship.
Akpo can play tackle, so can Calbert. Will Perry move to the OL eventually? Will Omari?

You're talking like the depth chart is carved in stone. There will be a lot of changes, some unexpected. Sure, I'd love for an elite WR, TE, OT, or CB to pop up but I don't see them right now.

Again, I'm not saying this kid is a take. But if Evans becomes an option due to coaching carousel you saying he's not a take because we already have 3 RBs? Or even another highly rated OG. It's just not a good corner to paint yourself into.

Akpo can play tackle, so can Calbert. Will Perry move to the OL eventually? Will Omari?

You're talking like the depth chart is carved in stone. There will be a lot of changes, some unexpected. Sure, I'd love for an elite WR, TE, OT, or CB to pop up but I don't see them right now.

Again, I'm not saying this kid is a take. But if Evans becomes an option due to coaching carousel you saying he's not a take because we already have 3 RBs? Or even another highly rated OG. It's just not a good corner to paint yourself into.
There are players out there I think would better suit our needs, but the question becomes are they interested? And if not, the question then becomes, is this guy a fit? Does the staff want him? Or are we better suited saving the spot for next year and backcounting?

The fact his visit was cancelled leads me to believe either he's moved on or we have. Personally, I'm fine with that. Like I said, there are other players out there I like more.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
There are players out there I think would better suit our needs, but the question becomes are they interested? And if not, the question then becomes, is this guy a fit? Does the staff want him? Or are we better suited saving the spot for next year and backcounting?

The fact his visit was cancelled leads me to believe either he's moved on or we have. Personally, I'm fine with that. Like I said, there are other players out there I like more.

I am HOPING that this situation indicates we have an OL higher up our board headed this way.... transfer or otherwise...

Reactions: xtremevolfan

Based on what can those guys play tackle? High school? And Omari moving to O-line? Where did you get that from? I’m not saying anything is carved in stone. I just understand the game enough to know if a kid is too slow to play tackle, they put on weight and move to guard or get recruited over. As far as who the coaches go after to fill the final spots, that’s something only they know. And apparently they don’t feel they need to go after this kid.

No need to take another OG. And honestly Robinson and Spraggins look like far superior prospects. Both play with way more power than St. John does.

With 4 spots left the priorities need to be Hardy, Beckwith and a couple impact transfers IMO.

Based on what can those guys play tackle? High school? And Omari moving to O-line? Where did you get that from? I’m not saying anything is carved in stone. I just understand the game enough to know if a kid is too slow to play tackle, they put on weight and move to guard or get recruited over. As far as who the coaches go after to fill the final spots, that’s something only they know. And apparently they don’t feel they need to go after this kid.

Well Calbert did play quite a few snaps at RT this year. Akpo played a few snaps at RT vs UGA. Part of the reason they liked Perry was because they felt he has the measurables to play OT. And a lot of ppl think Omari's ceiling is higher on the OL than on defense. None of this is a secret.

Again, this is not about Jalen St. John. There are a couple of guys at the same position I think are better.

It's just to say that if an elite OG emerged for some reason, of course we'd take him. It makes no difference what the "depth chart" looks like. Ideally you recruit for need, but when that's no longer an option, you take the best available player.

VN Store

Back