‘23 MO EDGE Samuel M’Pemba (UGA commit)

You sound like the Aggies, signing everybody top dollar with a 5 star tag. Our coaches look for the total package good athletes and good guys and students. Money is great but it’s not the most important thing involved in recruiting.

Money has always been the most important thing in recruiting, its just legal now.

The difference between us and Texas A&M is our coaches will coach the kids up. So no, I don’t sound like the Aggies. Kids are gonna want money, period. Give it to the ones that are worth it.
A lot of factors go into saying if one is worth it. More factors than just talent is all I am saying. I agree our coaches do a great job and I trust their discretion, if they don’t go after certain players there is probably a good reason is all I am saying. I agree we are no A@M. And I would love to land Pemba but the highest bidder don’t always win either. GBO

A lot of factors go into saying if one is worth it. More factors than just talent is all I am saying. I agree our coaches do a great job and I trust their discretion, if they don’t go after certain players there is probably a good reason is all I am saying. I agree we are no A@M. And I would love to land Pemba but the highest bidder don’t always win either. GBO

While I agree with you, more and more ire becoming more about money unfortunately.

The difference between us and Texas A&M is our coaches will coach the kids up. So no, I don’t sound like the Aggies. Kids are gonna want money, period. Give it to the ones that are worth it.
Our coaches won't matter if we take the kids that their #1 reason for choosing a school is money. You'll end up with a lot of entitled locker room cancers. You'll have several that don't want to "earn it", and the ones that do produce will continually shop themselves in the portal for more money. People can just throw that money around if they want to, based on talent alone. But... it is more likely to be a recipe for disaster than success. People saying it's always been about the money don't understand that it's never been THIS kind of money. A $40,000 car, a rent free apartment, a gold chain, and free tattoos are not remotely the same as millions of dollars. Kids still had to work to have a shot at the NFL to potentially get that type of money. Now you want to hand it to kids who's mom still has to wake them up for school.

Our coaches won't matter if we take the kids that their #1 reason for choosing a school is money. You'll end up with a lot of entitled locker room cancers. You'll have several that don't want to "earn it", and the ones that do produce will continually shop themselves in the portal for more money. People can just throw that money around if they want to, based on talent alone. But... it is more likely to be a recipe for disaster than success. People saying it's always been about the money don't understand that it's never been THIS kind of money. A $40,000 car, a rent free apartment, a gold chain, and free tattoos are not remotely the same as millions of dollars. Kids still had to work to have a shot at the NFL to potentially get that type of money. Now you want to hand it to kids who's mom still has to wake them up for school.

Nah. Kids could come here for money and our coaches would still get the best of them. Not all kids, but money can be the main reason and kids still be coached up lol

Reactions: SonOfGodVolforlife
While I agree with you, more and more ire becoming more about money unfortunately.
For some it is, but I have to say the on field performance has been a team effort for us and all teams. I see great effort made by players in the college game. Actually the incentive to fly straight and work is more now with money on the line. There are good and bad sides of it but overall I think our staff does a great job of recognizing talent and good character. Even the best of youth makes mistakes but Heupel seems to be a great leader on and off field. GBO

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Nah. Kids could come here for money and our coaches would still get the best of them. Not all kids, but money can be the main reason and kids still be coached up lol
Not if you sign classes full of those kids and ignore whatever the backgrounds tell you. Our coaches get the most out of kids because of the culture they have built. Every kid doesn't fit or will want to be part of that culture. Too many of those kids and you've lost the locker room and there isn't a reset button. The culture that you've built is gone.

Not if you sign classes full of those kids and ignore whatever the backgrounds tell you. Our coaches get the most out of kids because of the culture they have built. Every kid doesn't fit or will want to be part of that culture. Too many of those kids and you've lost the locker room and there isn't a reset button. The culture that you've built is gone.
Culture fit is the most important, but we shouldn't be afraid to pay up for talent that can fit within that culture. A lot of these kids want the biggest check because it's for their family. NIL has put many in the unique position of bettering their family's financial position sizably.

Culture fit is the most important, but we shouldn't be afraid to pay up for talent that can fit within that culture. A lot of these kids want the biggest check because it's for their family. NIL has put many in the unique position of bettering their family's financial position sizably.
The issue is people wanting to throw checks at every five star recruit within sniffing distance saying "pay them whatever they ask for". Every 5* doesn't have the mental make up, maturity, or support system to handle having that much money and still have the drive and discipline to be their best.

The issue is people wanting to throw checks at every five star recruit within sniffing distance saying "pay them whatever they ask for". Every 5* doesn't have the mental make up, maturity, or support system to handle having that much money and still have the drive and discipline to be their best.
I'm not saying throw money at every 5*, but I'd definitely throw money at a few. There have to be some 5*'s that will fit in our culture. I mean, we have Nico. He can't be the only one IMO.

I'm not saying throw money at every 5*, but I'd definitely throw money at a few. There have to be some 5*'s that will fit in our culture. I mean, we have Nico. He can't be the only one IMO.
I wasn't referring to you @Weezer. We just have a lot of the same people that think you can buy a championship team. NIL is more beneficial for keeping players, than getting players. If it's used to give big "contracts" to incoming freshmen, those numbers just get bigger each year to land 5 stars. Then the previously signed 5 stars will want more money. It will be a perpetual cycle of cash grabs. We refused to get into a bidding war for Zach Evans so he went to Ole Miss. Now their top running back is a 3* true freshman that didn't get any NIL money. Evans left TCU for money and now they are in playoff contention just like us. This is just the best example I could give for throwing money at kids based solely on talent and not getting the best return on your investment.

TAMU disagr.... Nevermind.

Reactions: bigl3327
Facts, it’s being smart with your money. See the Aggies as the way not to do it. And a year ago folks was hyping and giving them praise when in fact they were just showing folks what wild crazy spending will do. Many factors,but rest easy as long as our staff and not message board folks are calling the shots we will be fine. GBO!

VN Store

Back